The WORST matches you've ever seen

Dashing

This thread was something inspired by Ian's thread on Crush yesterday. Nothing against Big Bri, no, no, no! But when he mentioned a match he had against Mongo McMichael at Road Wild 1998 being a stinker, I, being a glutton for punishment apparently, decided to watch it as I'd never seen it and WOOOOOO, does it hum or what!? Everything that went wrong in there looked to have been Mongo's fault actually but obviously we don't have any way of really knowing that.

So the question I pose is, what are some of the worst matches you've ever seen?

Some more obvious ones would be that Jackie Gayda match from 2002 and that Sharmell vs Jenna Morasca ding-dong from Victory Road 2009 so I'll just get those out of the way now.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lesnar Vs Goldberg

I wasnt a internet fan back then, yes a mark but really thought these two could have had a decent match. The build up was pretty good and the whole thing with Austin was pretty decent. Instead they acted like twats and wasted 20 minutes of WrestleMania time which could have been used much wiser towards others who were with the company during that period

I've grown to enjoy HHH/Steiner from the Rumble and No Way Out in a laughably entertaining way, but at the time, I hated them.

I'll go with HBK/Michaels in the Cell at Badd Blood. Or the LMS match they had at the Rumble that year. Okay, Triple H was the pits at the time, but Michaels can normally work around anything. Not on these occasions. They fucking stunk.

I also have a particular distaste for the Edge/Regal series in early 2002, and virtually anything from Jim Duggan or the Bushwhackers. Almost without exception.

• Paid Members
I'll go with HBK/Michaels in the Cell at Badd Blood. Or the LMS match they had at the Rumble that year. Okay, Triple H was the pits at the time, but Michaels can normally work around anything. Not on these occasions. They fucking stunk.

I actually remember the Last Man Standing match as being pretty good apart from a disappointing finish. Having said that, I've not rewatched it since watching the PPV so I could of course be wrong.

You are spot on about the Hell In A Cell match. To be fair my opinion was tainted because they were already in that position for me of "I never want to see these pair wrestle again" before that match since they had wrestled so many times in singles, tags and six mans over the previous 18 months, but the match itself was rubbish. It was boring to the point I literally fell asleep at times, the finish was ludicrously OTT, and they shouldn't have been out there for 44 minutes.

The positioning and presentation of the match also served to belittle Benoit's title reign and overshadow the World title, which I really disapprove of 90% of the time, much as I did with the original Hell In A Cell main eventing while Hitman was in an inconsequential gimmick tag team match. That of course was rather forgiveable due to the Cell match being an absolute blinder, but not in the case of Badd Blood 2004. Self-indulgent garbage.

It's probably not the worst match I've ever seen. Not long from now when they finally diagnose my cancer, the doctor will no doubt identify its origins in my watching some horrendous multi-man car wreck featuring the Maximos from early ROH. Horrific, contrived and dangerous multi-man spots, most of which went wrong, no flow, people kicking out of locomotion brainbusters... just everything that's wrong with Our Great Sport.

Archived