early 90s

wwffan2

I remember most of the programming from back in the early 90's. I'm surprised that no one has mentioned WWF Primetime Wrestling that used to be shown on the original Eurosport channel when it was owned by Sky (before they ditched the channel so they could launch Sky Sports). I was gutted when Eurosport re-launched a while later and no WWF was on it.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i used to like watching wrestling challenge and all american wrestling, and then of course wwf mania with todd pettingill.

also wcw which aired on tuesday mornings at about 2am on itv (at least in the tyne tees region).

as for dsf and galavsion, i recall watching a bit on them, but the foreign commentary meant it was for 5 mins at a time.

• Moderators

It indeed was. There's some people on youtube who love muscly wrestlers manhandling jobbers, and they make really weird Hard Andy style comments about it. But sad fucker here makes comments like "Is that a screensport ident? I used to love Eric Embry!".

Does anyone remember much of the EWF on Eurosport with their top face Flesh Gordon (who'd obviously never seen the film, and must have been head booker). Danny Boy Collins and Fit Finlay went hammer and tongs on there, and El Bandito Orig Williams was on commentary.

Remember NJPW on Eurosport in the mid 90's under the name of WSW? With Oliver Humperdink and Craig DeGeorge on commentary, and odd nearly accurate names for the wrestlers? Chris Benoit would be something like Craig DeLoir (not actually his name on it, just a shite example) and that kind of thing.

• Paid Members
Bushido was on sky Sports IIRC..

..and everywhere else. Seem to recall it being on Bravo (they showed it before ECW in 1996). I'm sure it was on Channel 5. LIVE! TV then got a turn with it. Have I missed anybody out?

Nic Heldt from World of Wrestling is now TNA's German commentator and does loads of interviews with Alex Shane's ex.

The other guy, Oliver Copp, programmed TNM7 and must have made a mint about 1998..

http://www.tnm7.com

• Paid Members
I realize the thread was asking about Sky, but we were too poor to have Sky until the mid-90s, so please indulge me.

Same here really, I don't know if anyone on here done the same, but me and my neighbours (who were also dirt-poor) all stuck together, and what we used to do, was split the cost of the subscriptions back then, and share the viewing card for big events such as wrestling and boxing. It seems like a daft idea now, but as a system back then, it worked, because from 1990-1994/5, me and all the other kids in the block of flats never missed a big wrestling show. Most of the time, the main example being SummerSlam 1992, we watched it together in the communal room on our ground floor, and we even had a little street party to mark the occasion too. When I look back on things like that, I love those times and is one of the many reasons why I loved that era of wrestling, and in general. We had absolutley nothing, but I wouldn't trade those memories anything.

Anyway back to WWF on Sky....I still have a VCR recording of WrestleMania V, which was taped from the broadcast on "The Sky Channel", as it was at the time and as the on screen graphics and presentation say. However, I don't know if it was a Live showing, or delayed by a day, weeks or whatever, as I'm not sure what the schedule was on Sky back then, and there's no indication on it which says if it was live or not.

Strangely enough, on the very same tape, I have a recording of the live broadcast of the rematch between Sugar Ray Leonard Vs Thomas Hearns from June 1989, and there are two or three adverts during the commercial breaks, for the showing of WM5, so that would mean a delay of a good few weeks.

• Paid Members

I remember a friend of mine recording Wrestlemania 9 despite not having the full sky subscription so all we had was the scrambled picture & full commentary audio. Which was really stupid looking back at it. The other thing about the late nights on ITV, was the student cookery programme which every time I mention it, I forget it's name. It was proper irritating too.

Still got Superbrawl 4, recorded off dsf on tape.

Does anybody know what year did the U.K version of TNT start showing Nitro, am i right in thinking TNT was linked with another channel and didn't start until about 6pm. I remember TNT being replaced by Turners Movies and then WCW was on Bravo and Channel 5 (with the awful crash pow effects)

• Paid Members
I remember a friend of mine recording Wrestlemania 9 despite not having the full sky subscription so all we had was the scrambled picture & full commentary audio. Which was really stupid looking back at it.

I actually listened to King of the Ring '93 like that. I just had to know if Hogan was gonna beat Yokozuna, but since we didn't have a subscription I just had the scrambled screen. I didn't seem to mind though, I spent the whole event creating a massive KOTR tournament poster, fuck me that thing was so huge it kept falling off my ceiling! My bedroom used to be wall to wall to ceiling wrestling posters back then :(

• Paid Members
I remember a friend of mine recording Wrestlemania 9 despite not having the full sky subscription so all we had was the scrambled picture & full commentary audio. Which was really stupid looking back at it. The other thing about the late nights on ITV, was the student cookery programme which every time I mention it, I forget it's name. It was proper irritating too.

Get Stuffed. (Name of the show, not a reply.)

Regarding the NJPW show on Eurosport, by favourite name was Doc Nelson for Nailz, presumably taken from the Department Of Corrections initials in his uniform's prison number (DOC 907410) and a mispronunciation of Nailz.

Wasn't Bushido the worked shoot promotion? The one where Gary Albright would absolutely destroy people with suplex after suplex? I remember him building up to the big dragon suplex by getting a half nelson on the floor, working to a full nelson, then picking them up with a the guys face all panicking, then fucking blast em with an awesome suplex :)

I've loved that move ever since, thanks Gary.

Could be wrong though...

Wasn't Bushido the worked shoot promotion? The one where Gary Albright would absolutely destroy people with suplex after suplex? I remember him building up to the big dragon suplex by getting a half nelson on the floor, working to a full nelson, then picking them up with a the guys face all panicking, then fucking blast em with an awesome suplex :)

I've loved that move ever since, thanks Gary.

Could be wrong though...

Sounds very much like the UWFi. They used a point system, and all bouts ended in KO or submission. Nobuhiko Takada was also one of the main men, allong with Allbright.

Archived