early 90s

wwffan2

- Check the jumper on Nic Heldt.

Alex Wright hit a beaut of a German Suplex on Steve Regal five seconds in. The first World Of Wrestling intro has flooded the memories of watching this back in 1998, where I would watch this in my room before my parents would switch it over to watch some bad made for TV movie on Sky Moviemax or something. Used to show some AAA, Smokey Mountain, ECW and WCW on that show. It was my first exposure to the first three anyway.

EDITED SO I DON'T GET RIDICULED~!

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Did Tyne Tees not get networked WCW Worldwide on Saturday afternoons?

Nope. Neither did Yorkshire TV, which was the other ITV affiliate we can get around here. It was only ever shown at about half-midnight on a Monday night/Tuesday morning. Everyone used to set their VCR timers overnight (or, if you were really lucky, you were allowed to get up and watch it) and then scramble to watch it on the Tuesday morning before going to school, since you knew everyone would be talking about it.

Of course, if you hadn't managed to catch it, there was always some wise-ass who would claim that Ultimate Warrior had turned up to help Sting fight Nikita Koloff, or that PN News or Big Josh or someone had won the title from Ric Flair. They were just some of the rumours we had if you hadn't watched.

They were quite behind at first, showing stuff from the first half of 1991 in late 91/early 92, but seem to remember it then jumped to just a few months behind later in 1992.

• 2 months later...
oes anybody know when DSF started airing the WCW PPV's? Somebody mentioned as far back as Fall Brawl '93. The first event I caught on there was Starrcade '94 for sure. Being a young kid and so utterly obsessed with wrestling it blew my mind. I've got nobody but my dad to thank for finding WCW on there and thus finding out when each show was on and recording most of it for me. If it wasn't for him, id've probably never known with being so young.

It was awesome later on watching Nitro on TNT when they'd be discussing the previous nights PPV and you knew you only had afew weeks to wait before you could see it yourself

Not sure about this, but we didn't have sky so a friend of my mums used to record all the wrestling for me and my bro. I still have some of the wcw dsf tapes and i think the first one i have is Superbrawl 4.

Did DSF used to cut some of the shows though? I swear on that tape the Cactus & Maxx Payne v Nasty boys match is really short and seems cut.

I seem to remember AAA on Galavision on a Sunday night for some reason.

I'm sure it was had a Sunday evening slot when the Sky TV version of Galavision first began to air it.

Saturday afternoon was AAA on gala when it first started - footbal focus, AAA and final score followed by Jet off Gladiators. Quality Saturday

WCW was never shown up here in Scotland. It might have been shown in the Borders area, but it didn't make it as far as Glasgow.

Glasgow != Scotland. We had WCW on TV up in the Grampian region for years, either on a Saturday afternoon or late night during the week.

I remember watching a cage match between Road Warriors vs Freebirds on NWA worldwide during the match the SST stormed the ring handcuffed hawk to the top rope and the did a 4 on 1 attack on Animal , this lend to a wargames match at Bash 1989 , does any one else remember this

• 6 years later...

This is a long shot, but I recall watching a broadcast on Sky in the early to mid-1990s where the ring announcer declared that ''WWF and WCW were not real wrestling, but merely show business. However, what you are about to see is real!!'' sort of thing. I remember proceeding to watch the match thinking it was all real. Anyone else recall this? 

No idea of the exact year, promotion or the wrestlers involved. I did say it was a long shot! 

I'm thinking perhaps 93 or 94, as I still half believed kayfabe then and remember being a little surprised by the 'show business' remark. 

• Paid Members

That was UWF-i, though the English language show was called Bushido. (Could only find a Russian version, but same opening titles.)

It was a Japanese "shoot style" promotion that billed itself as legitimate while calling other wrestling fake. They peaked with a stadium show where they brought over Vader (as WCW champion) to lose to their top guy, Nobuhiko Takada.

Archived