Nick Dinsmore in OVW 2001

robrage

Having watched OVW v WWE Christmas Chaos 2001 over the weekend (cheers wwffan ) i was amazed how different the Nick Dinsmore charactor was on this show. He wrestled Chris Benoit in a very solid technical match. He was discribed as a machine like wrestler with strong technical ability and had a very good match with Benoit. It amazes me how he ended up in WWE as Eugene ? I sure i read somewhere that he agreed to the Eugene charactor, but watching this match i believe he went down the wrong path :confused: . Also worth mentioning on the card is The Minnesota Stretching Crew , Lesner and Benjamin. Brock performed a perfect moonsault and Shelton finished the match off with a 450 splash !

He was discribed as a machine like wrestler with strong technical ability and had a very good match with Benoit. It amazes me how he ended up in WWE as Eugene ? I sure i read somewhere that he agreed to the Eugene charactor, but watching this match i believe he went down the wrong path :confused: .

It was his idea. And how did he go down the wrong path, he's no longer in WWE and still getting mileage out of the character. Gunner Scott should have taken note.

It was his idea. And how did he go down the wrong path, he's no longer in WWE and still getting mileage out of the character. Gunner Scott should have taken note.

To watch him Ovw he seemed a very good wrestler. I know what your saying, but he will always be tagged with that image with no way back into the big 2 imo

To watch him Ovw he seemed a very good wrestler. I know what your saying, but he will always be tagged with that image with no way back into the big 2 imo

As Bland Technical Guy, he'd never have made it to the main WWE roster in the first place, or if he did, nobody would have cared. Which is why he came up with the Eugene character.

Is he too fucked up on drugs to ever be taken back? I do think they could have repackaged him. Good hand in the ring, and working as Eugene he must have learned a LOT about crowd control.

Reminds me also of Santino Marella having the Vladimir Kozlov gimmick. I like Santiono in the role. Obviously the comedy charachter has made WWE a fortune.

Dinsmore, at this point, was a superb wrestler. Its hard to say that he went down the wrong path, however. OVW was on fire at this period, with Dinsmore at the top of the pile. The other main guys were Rob Conway, Doug Basham and Damaja (Danny Basham). All of them were almost as good as Dinsmore, and all of them came to the WWE as 'normal' wrestlers, and all of them bombed. Dinsmore just didnt look like a superstar, and back then it was way more important than it is now.

Dinsmore, at this point, was a superb wrestler. Its hard to say that he went down the wrong path, however. OVW was on fire at this period, with Dinsmore at the top of the pile. The other main guys were Rob Conway, Doug Basham and Damaja (Danny Basham). All of them were almost as good as Dinsmore, and all of them came to the WWE as 'normal' wrestlers, and all of them bombed. Dinsmore just didnt look like a superstar, and back then it was way more important than it is now.

Huh? I was posting in the Kendo thread.

• Paid Members
Reminds me also of Santino Marella having the Vladimir Kozlov gimmick. I like Santiono in the role. Obviously the comedy charachter has made WWE a fortune.

I really think they've missed a trick by not experimenting with Santino and having him work a high profile/main event feud as a face. There's money to be made with the guy in a higher role, he's decent in ring, plays his character as well as anyone in that company and is one of the most consistently over babyfaces on the roster, despite never making more than a cameo these days.

• Paid Members
I really think they've missed a trick by not experimenting with Santino and having him work a high profile/main event feud as a face. There's money to be made with the guy in a higher role, he's decent in ring, plays his character as well as anyone in that company and is one of the most consistently over babyfaces on the roster, despite never making more than a cameo these days.

He's over because he plays the giddy goat. There's no evidence to suggest that he would be able to drop the comedy, stay that popular and sustain that kind of push.

Though I

Archived