Kendo Nagasaki....Jumps to the 21st century

nagasakispiritfan

We all agree Rollerball Rocco is a respected legend who everyone on this forum looks up to

Well, who does rocco think is the best wrestler ever?

At the end of his 2-hour shoot interview rollerball was asked that question; his answer "Kendo: Because he was on top the longest"

Rocco was far greater than Nagasaki- look at the agility for a start.

He could hardly say himself could he (being the man he is.)

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would say that Nagasaki in the 1960s/70s was very agile for a heavyweight?

Very agile is extremely exaggerated. Let's stick to "he could move well" for someone his size.

the best worker is the guy that makes the most money for the least work

So did Kendo Nagasaki make more money from wrestling than Big Daddy? For Big Daddy wrestling was "easy, easy, easy", and I am sure he got paid very well for the "easy, easy, easy" work he actually did... That makes Big Daddy a better worker than Kendo Nagasaki!

I'm old enough to remember Kendo's golden era on WOS but even as a kid I remember wondering whether he really did anything to be a legend that anyone else couldn't have done

That's a stupid argument really. Take Hulk Hogan for example - all he did was a clothesline and legdrop - there's a million wrestlers who can do that.

Or Ric flair with his chop and figure-four - my 3-year-old niece could do that

~~~

Why doesn't Kendo pass the torch and create a new Kendo Nagasaki for the 21st century?

Kendo tried for over twenty years to find someone to pass the torch to - The fact of the matter is that of the THOUSANDS of hopefuls auditioned none of them possessed the necessary combination of ring generalship, skills and charisma to make the grade

Kendo tried for over twenty years to find someone to pass the torch to - The fact of the matter is that of the THOUSANDS of hopefuls auditioned none of them possessed the necessary combination of ring generalship, skills and charisma to make the grade

Are you Kendo? Or a tranny?

• Paid Members

Why do I get an image of an Britain's Got Talent-like setup, with Kendo Nagasaki sat behind a desk in full garb, with Atlantis Chrono Goth on one side and Lloyd Ryan on the other, and skinny kids auditioning one-by-one with Kendo slashing a cross in the chest of each one to dismiss them (as opposed to pressing the buzzer)...?

Very agile is extremely exaggerated. Let's stick to "he could move well" for someone his size.

So did Kendo Nagasaki make more money from wrestling than Big Daddy? For Big Daddy wrestling was "easy, easy, easy", and I am sure he got paid very well for the "easy, easy, easy" work he actually did... That makes Big Daddy a better worker than Kendo Nagasaki!

How can i be "Extremely exaggerating" When anyone of that era in that weight division who "Could move well" had to at least be described as "agile" or "very agile"? You have virtually agreed with me & dismissed me in the same sentence?

• Paid Members
That's a stupid argument really. Take Hulk Hogan for example - all he did was a clothesline and legdrop - there's a million wrestlers who can do that.

I'm not even sure which side of the argument you're trying to be on here. Hogan did far more than a clothesline and a legdrop, actually I don't remember him much for clotheslines come to think of it. It's about how you do things, when you do things. Hogan knew how to work and it certainly wasn't about the number of moves you could throw into a match.

I heard it (from an all star worker, who boasted that he wouldn't take a bump without getting paid extra) as the best worker is the guy that makes the most money for the least work. Which probably puts hogan absoloute top of the list, he stayed on top for longest without having to retire a few years into his run at the top due to injuries.

My theory of who are the best workers/professional wrestlers goes something like this. If you are top of the bill & the venue is sold out, you are the best worker on the card along with you opponent. Similarly if you are in the main event of a successful PPV then you are part of the best match on the show, Regardless how good the bouts were beforehand.

So for me it has to be Hogan in the States & Perhaps Big Daddy in the UK, As the top workers in their respective countries as both drew very well for a long period of time.

• Paid Members
My theory of who are the best workers/professional wrestlers goes something like this. If you are top of the bill & the venue is sold out, you are the best worker on the card along with you opponent. Similarly if you are in the main event of a successful PPV then you are part of the best match on the show, Regardless how good the bouts were beforehand.

Wrong.

How can i be "Extremely exaggerating" When anyone of that era in that weight division who "Could move well" had to at least be described as "agile" or "very agile"? You have virtually agreed with me & dismissed me in the same sentence?

Sorry, you were not "extremely exaggerating", only "exaggerating" with the use of "very". I have never seen any Kendo Nagasaki matches were I considered him very agile.

• Paid Members
Sorry, you were not "extremely exaggerating", only "exaggerating" with the use of "very". I have never seen any Kendo Nagasaki matches were I considered him very agile.

Agreed. Even in his prime I don't remember him ever displaying agility above what would be expected of a man of his size.

But my original quote came with a slight disclaimer! I said "Very agile for a heavyweight", granted you could not compare his agility to Johnny Saint or Steve Grey, But at the peak of the WOS era Nagasaki was right up there with the top heavyweight workers IMO. I could name loads of inferior workers of that generation, but few better & that was an era with a lot of quality. So that makes him a very agile Heavyweight in my book? Also a great draw for many years which is the most important factor of a Pro Wrestler if you read my other comments on this thread.

Archived