Christian/Orton feud appreciation thread

Bellenda Carlisle

• Paid Members

Hi folks, now it's finished I just wanted to say that I was totally gripped by Orton & Christian's series of matches, from the first one I was blown away by how well they worked together, I can't remember the last time I saw 2 guys gel so well. If you'd asked me a year ago if I cared to see Orton vs Christian I wouldn't have been bothered and I certainly wouldn't've thought that I'd still be excited to see more after a few ppv matches but it turned out to be my favourite thing in wrestling this year, all the matches had great original spots in them and I enjoyed the hell out of the whole series, totally enjoyable on every level, glad Christian got a chance to have a great feud over the title with a top star.

Great feud, unexpected gold, who's with me?

Christian-vs-Randy-Orton.jpg

• Paid Members
I'd like to show my appreciation for it being over now.

To me whilst the matches ranged from good to very good it just buried Christian. I don't really see where his character is going long term from here.

How has it buried Christian? He is more main event now that he ever has been. This feud with Orton has been his longest sustained spell working with a proper main eventer, in the actual main event, for the World Heavyweight Title that he has ever experienced in his life.

Worst case scenario for Christian would be that he goes back to be a mid card/upper mid card player, but that would be where he has been for years, so while he may not be a solidified main eventer, he certainly wont be any worse off than what he was before the feud.

• Paid Members

LK has it spot on. What was particularly great about the turn itself is that in actual fact Christian was perfectly justified to feel screwed over, adding to that old heel trait that they believe everything they are saying and there is an element of truth there which just pisses the fans off even more.

I've said it before on here, but the term 'buried' is used way, way too often. Getting RKO'ed onto the steel steps is hardly a burial, a crushing way to lose or anything like that. Also dishing out two World title reigns isn't a burial either, even if the title doesn't mean as much as it did once upon a time.

Christian is lucky that he has ever gotten into a long main event fued like this with one of WWE's poster boys, so if he HAS been buried, it's more than he deserves anyways.

I've loved the fued for the most part. Great TV match between them and almost every PPV outing has been top notch. Only the Capital Punishment match was a wee bit underwhelming, but even that was good fun. During the fued too, you got to see both men have belters with every half decent name on the Smackdown roster as well.

I havent enjoyed the microphone exchanges and segments but the series of matches have been as consistently good as any series I can remember recently, although having said that it feels rare to see a series of matches last several months now as feuds change quickly. I am not counting Ziggler vs. Kingston XXXVII in that as those are meaningless matches to kill some TV time.

• Paid Members
How hasn't it? Christian had no major victories while holding the belt and dropped the title to Orton twice. He was never made to look like a champion at any point.

Plus the fact that before their Summerslam rematch, Randy Orton pointed out that if he didn't win on the night he'd be nothing more than a loser who couldn't win the belt properly and got lucky. Or words to that effect.

• Paid Members
How hasn't it? Christian had no major victories while holding the belt and dropped the title to Orton twice. He was never made to look like a champion at any point.

If they were so dead set on burying Christian then they wouldn't have given him the title in the first place, would they?

He's been given a long-running main event feud with the most over talent on Smackdown, pushed back into his far more suited heel role where he is clearly more comfortable and talented, and has re-confirmed his position as an upper-mid card talent, which is all that he should be, anyway. Fucking weird burial, if you ask me.

EDIT - Sorry, just saw LK's post and I've said pretty much the same thing. Great minds and all that.

I've said it before on here, but the term 'buried' is used way, way too often.

It definitely does. I forget which thread Butch asked which wrestling terms are most annoying, but 'burial' is definitely one. It essentially means nothing but "I am a mong and a wrestler I like lost a match."

But he never was a champion before the feud. He was a midcarder. He's not got going to drop back any further than he was 5 months ago. His stock will have risen with this high profile feud and his cracking performances during it, so he's hardly being buried.

As somebody mentioned a few days ago, he will find his spot as being at top of the midcard and the bottom of the main event scene.

I don't care all that much for Orton or Christian, but they definitely kept me captivated with their series, I echo the original post.

What I really liked about it was the story of it all. When Orton won the Title on the episode of SD! he hit Christian with the RKO when Christian went for the springboard crossbody, then at Summerslam it was the same only on the other side of the ring and onto the steel steps. Thought it was a nice touch. And hey Christian finally accomplished a dream, and the heel turn made him interesting, I really like his character at the moment, would just like too see where he goes from here.

I really thought Christian should have won at Summerslam, I mean does Orton need a 9th Title reign? but oh well he's been elevated rather than buried in my book though.

I really thought Christian should have won at Summerslam, I mean does Orton need a 9th Title reign?

He doesn't need a title reign as such, but the programme had run it's course and had to come to an end at Summerslam, and he needed to beat Christian to remain the top man.

You could argue that they could maybe have been kinder to Christian in giving him a pinfall win or two during the course of the feud. But for the blowoff, Orton had to win, otherwise they'd be left with a midcarder who no one really buys as a real star being the centrepiece of the brand.

• Paid Members
I havent enjoyed the microphone exchanges and segments but the series of matches have been as consistently good as any series I can remember recently, although having said that it feels rare to see a series of matches last several months now as feuds change quickly. I am not counting Ziggler vs. Kingston XXXVII in that as those are meaningless matches to kill some TV time.

You're right actually, I was so engrossed with the matches that I forgot the promos and build up weren't as great as the matches were.

I have no idea how anyone could say this feud was bad for Christian! The mind boggles sometimes, He was in a top tier feud with one of the 4 top guys in the company and it was pretty much even back and forth, Christian has no place in the title picture, this was the only time I felt like he could belong there, it was perfect. He didn't come out on top at the end but no shit, it is only Christian after all, who thought he'd have the high point of his career now?

You're right actually, I was so engrossed with the matches that I forgot the promos and build up weren't as great as the matches were.

I have no idea how anyone could say this feud was bad for Christian! The mind boggles sometimes, He was in a top tier feud with one of the 4 top guys in the company and it was pretty much even back and forth, Christian has no place in the title picture, this was the only time I felt like he could belong there, it was perfect. He didn't come out on top at the end but no shit, it is only Christian after all, who thought he'd have the high point of his career now?

I'd disagree with that. He might not be long-term world champion material, but like others who fit that description (like The Miz or Chris Jericho) this feud has shown he's perfectly capable of stepping up and carrying his weight in the title picture on a temporary basis from time to time.

I did enjoy the feud, and I'm far from opposed to him dropping the title in the end, but I do hope this leads to more feuds with a decent profile and actual storylines for Christian. I think he's at his best as a sneaky bastard with a stable/bodyguard in tow, so I'd like to see him sorted out with that in the coming months.

Archived