Christian/Orton feud appreciation thread

Bellenda Carlisle

I enjoyed the matches a great deal, but the booking did make Christian look like a complete pussy.

I get that "he was just a midcarder before, so what's the possible damage?" but from what I remember, there was a point at the start of all this where Christian was getting tremendous face pops, to the point where the crowd were booing Orton and cheering Christian in some exchanges. So what I've seen then do is take a very, very popular babyface, and turn him into a loser heel who struggles to get heat.

They didn't even turn him into the cocky, likeable heel that got over years ago, instead he became a dull, whiny heel, with no balls. Also, being a former Champ isn't a guarantee that his stock has been improved. Swagger and Khali also spent a month at the top before plummeting back down into mid-card obscurity, arguably being in worse spots than before their title wins (Swagger definitely).

All the credibility he'd build-up while being a popular face was completely taken away by him being portrayed as a total loser when he 'finally' got to the top. They should have given him a "Problem Solver" and a chick and drawn his reign out much longer. I'm not suggesting by the way that he goes around beating everyone clean, he should be a cheating prick, but to build/maintain heat, he needs to do a bit of winning, one way or the other.

For all the people saying "ah, who cares. It's only Christian, he's lucky to get a sniff at a World Title", did you say the same about JBL? He was even more of a "career midcarder" type before they pulled the trigger on him. But because they went all out in actually getting him over as a top guy (rather than a "what the hell, just use Christian" one month stop-gap) it worked.

Archived