Are WWE using a smaller ring?

Kamalas watermelon

After watching the Summerslam footage the ring looked smaller than in past years,I remember that WWE used to use a 20ftx20ft compared to WCW having an 18x18 ring.When you watch the late 80s footage of the Survivor Series when there's all those tag teams in there you noticed it was massive.Have they changed it or is just the new HD cameras making it look smaller?

Around the 1:55 mark on that video, is that the Undertaker in his early biker attire?

OT: I remember watching the Randy Savage DVD recently, and the ring they had for his match against Steamboat (second match on DVD) was much bigger than the one they use today, maybe it's a cost thing?

I remember that the wrestlers in the WWF at the time had complained about the small size of the ring they did for their short "nightclub" stint, having to adjust their styles to compensate for less room than they usually had.

Camera angles can be very deceptive in showing how big or small an object like a ring is, not to mention also what is surrounding the ring. Some settings will make the ring appear bigger than it is.

Is there any advantages to using a smaller ring in big venues? To me smaller rings look more amateurish than the old full size beasts they usually used in the past. I know that smaller rings are cheaper to actually buy, so can understand grassroots level promotions using them, but in the

• Paid Members
Is there any advantages to using a smaller ring in big venues?

They can put in more seats. Summerslam was apparantly a sell out too, so maybe they were just cramming as many people in as possible.

I havnt watchd RAW, but the Summerslam ring was definitely smaller. Comparing Cena and Punks heights to the length/width of the ring really shows it.

The ring in the clip in the OP and the ring on the Summerslam clips look like the same size to me. They suspend the ropes in a slightly different setup nowadays, perhaps that's why it looks smaller?

Is there any advantages to using a smaller ring in big venues? To me smaller rings look more amateurish than the old full size beasts they usually used in the past. I know that smaller rings are cheaper to actually buy, so can understand grassroots level promotions using them, but in the

Surely WWE wouldn't be messing about using different sized rings for different shows? They hate even the thought of any botches on their shows, and changing ring sizes between events would be a great way to encourage botches - your whole timing has to change when working in a smaller ring.

I can't say I've noticed any of their rings looking smaller. The crane-cam shots they use on NXT make things look smaller, but that's purely the camera positioning.

Archived