Dissapointing matches that should have been blinders

NorthSeaTiger

Apologies if done before....

Ive been re-watching the Mr Perfect DVD set and was thinking to myself....his match with Shawn Michaels at Summerslam '93 was a real let down. Was it the back injury? Or were they both too similar in that they were better suited to bumping for other guys and couldnt get their styles to mesh? After Hennig had that blinder with Hart at KOTR '93, i guess he still had enough to go, and Michaels had some crackers in early '93 with Jannety, 123 Kid etc.

Another one for me was Scott Steiner vs Triple H at Royal Rumble....was hoping for two powerhouses to get stuck in, it ended up being shite!

Any others that you guys feel should have been better but were either just piss poor or the total shits?

The obvious one that I can think of is the Lesnar/Goldberg match. Even though it was never going to be a technical masterpiece, Lesnar was fully capable of putting on great matches. Goldberg had that blinder with DDP at Halloween Havoc 1998 as well, so it shows he could have co-produced something alot better than what we ended up with. If neither men were leaving (or if it wasn't known by most of the crowd), the atmosphere could have been amazing as well.

Apologies if done before....

Ive been re-watching the Mr Perfect DVD set and was thinking to myself....his match with Shawn Michaels at Summerslam '93 was a real let down. Or were they both too similar in that they were better suited to bumping for other guys and couldnt get their styles to mesh?

In HBK's book that's the reason he gave for the match not been very good he says he was disappointed in it to as he'd been waiting years to work with him.

I always thought Triple H vs Orton at Wrestlemania 25 was a massive let down.

I enjoyed the build, Orton punting Vince and Shane, then there was the DDT on Steph and the kiss. How would you react to that? By coming out and doing every stage of your entrance! Why didn't he run down the ring and just launch himself on Orton???

Probably didn't help having to follow Taker and Michaels either.

I always thought Triple H vs Orton at Wrestlemania 25 was a massive let down.

I enjoyed the build, Orton punting Vince and Shane, then there was the DDT on Steph and the kiss. How would you react to that? By coming out and doing every stage of your entrance! Why didn't he run down the ring and just launch himself on Orton???

Probably didn't help having to follow Taker and Michaels either.

Was he not out first?

• Paid Members

My answer is, and always will be, the rather polarizing Hart/Michaels Iron Man match at WMXII.

I also expected great things from Jericho/Edge at WMXXVI, but it was really blah.

Also I was excited about the Michaels/HHH Hell In A Cell in 2004, but it literally sent me to sleep. In fact, I think it's still going on.

HHH vs Sheamus should have been better at Wrestlemania.

Any John Cena title match should be better than it is.

How about the two Shawn Michaels matches and the original Triple H Wrestlemania match? I'm far from being a fan of the guy, but those were some damn good matches.

Definitely Triple H vs Orton at WrestleMania. Even without blood, that should've been an attitude era style match, brawling all the way up the WrestleMania entranceway and whatnot. The match was a letdown after their ridiculous overblown feud, although that went off the boil about five weeks before the event too.

John Cena vs The Miz this year as well. The build-up was largely an afterthought compared to Cena vs Rock, and as it turned out, so was the match.

Kofi Kingston vs Randy Orton at TLC 2009. The feud was pretty fucked already from the so-so matches they'd had on Raw the previous two weeks, so by the time the pay-per-view match came around, it wasn't the eagerly-anticipated singles match between them. And the match itself didn't deliver anything even remotely spectacular.

Cena vs Barrett at TLC 2010. Another one a bit crippled by the build-up breaking down. Should've been a cataclysmic battle, turned out to be a pretty one-sided affair with a post-match non-stunt that surely didn't even seem good on paper.

Also I was excited about the Michaels/HHH Hell In A Cell in 2004, but it literally sent me to sleep. In fact, I think it's still going on.

This is the first match that I thought of when I saw this thread. I remember being really excited about this at time. I genuinely thought that it had the potential to go down as the greatest Hell In A Cell match ever. Then it just turned about to be an hour of boredom. They didn't even need to have that match in the cell. What a waste of time.

And a controversial one, but any match with Shawn Michaels/Bret Hart. Both are two of the greatest of all time and have produced countless classic matches with various opponents. But for some reason whenever they go together in the ring, their matches just didn't really hit the heights that they should have. Their best match was at Survivor Series 1992, and as solid as the match is, it's not a bona-fide classic by any means.

• Paid Members

Undertaker vs Austin at Summerslam 1998 in MSG. Incredible, episodic build spanning several months of compelling television full of neat twists and turns that made total sense in the grand scheme of things. One of my favourite slow burning angles ever and Summerslams finest ever builds. The match didn't live up to its great hype and strangely, unlike most attitude era main events didn't feature any shenanigans when it probably should have done.

By a similar token, Triple H and Kurt Angle at Unforgiven 2000 could and should have been something incredible, capping off the tremendous Love Triangle story and the moment and making of Kurt Angle.

Plenty love it but i was pretty disappointed by Kurt and Eddie at Wrestlemania XX. After their meeting in the Smackdown Rumble and the superb chemistry they had there, i thought for sure they'd be putting on absolute classic and tearing the house down. It was alright but, it wasn't what i'd hoped and anticipated.

Archived