Dynamo: Impossible Magician

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

anyone see this on Watch last week? im a big fan of magic, so i was interested to see this. I was left a little underwhelmed to be honest, the whole cris-crossed between good little tricks and then ridiculous stuff that just seems too far fetched. The memory/mind reading stuff, like the thing with Ian Brown is just stupid.

dynamo_280x390_382812a.jpg

He's a good performer no doubt but some of the tricks just left me saying 'fuck off, that's impossible'. I know it's all a trick but some of the stuff he did was just too far fetched. It's the kind of stuff i'd need to see with my own eyes for me to really appreciate the trick.

any thoughts?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
On tonight at 2000. What are peoples thoughts on the Penn and Teller Fool Us show?

I love it. It's the right mix of comedy, entertainment and magic.

• Paid Members

Dynamo is a very good magician who, as he said himself has caught the social networking generation just right. I thought it was a good mix of tricks from the close up stuff to the grand staging of the walking on water trick.

Penn and Teller are great as magicians and it is a good way of getting magic back on tv. I would love to see them do their bullet catch trick, but as they are not allowed to do it in this country I guess it will have to be a trip to Vegas at some point to see it.

• Paid Members
Dynamo is a very good magician who, as he said himself has caught the social networking generation just right. I thought it was a good mix of tricks from the close up stuff to the grand staging of the walking on water trick.

Penn and Teller are great as magicians and it is a good way of getting magic back on tv. I would love to see them do their bullet catch trick, but as they are not allowed to do it in this country I guess it will have to be a trip to Vegas at some point to see it.

Why is it banned? Surely it's not as dangerous as made out?

It's not banned as such just a lot of red tape with the gun licensing laws as far as i am aware so they don't do it. Same in a few US states where they have had to drop it from live shows. They've made a mockery of this before and done it with runner beans and hand catapults for similar outcome but obviously much less dramatic effect.

They didn't do it in the shows in London last year. Didn't make much difference to the quality of the entertainment.

I love fool us - it's actually an entertaining AND kind show (they're always respectful and encouraging except in the case of a magician who they thought was on morally dubious ground) which is certainly a lot different to any other ITV saturday night offering. Ross looks like he's having a ball and Penn & Teller come across as the stars they are.

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

yeh, Fool Us is quality. The tricks Penn & Teller do on every show are amazing.

Did anyone see the trick involving the guy doing it on video screen backstage (cant say more in case i spoil) haha that was f'n brilliant.

• Paid Members

I like Fool Us, but can't stand Jonathan Ross on it for some reason. I don't mind Ross on say, when he had his own show on the BBC, but he just grates on me on Fool Us. I don't know whether it's because it's pre-watershed so he's pretty watered down and scripted and whatnot.

yeh, Fool Us is quality. The tricks Penn & Teller do on every show are amazing.

Did anyone see the trick involving the guy doing it on video screen backstage (cant say more in case i spoil) haha that was f'n brilliant.

That was a horrible trick.

Anyone know if it's finished? I never saw a mention of a "Final Episode".

• Paid Members
That was a horrible trick.

Anyone know if it's finished? I never saw a mention of a "Final Episode".

According to Wikipedia, the final show is this Saturday, and then they're doing a Christmas special with the winners who went to New York and some fresh magicians.

No clue why they took a break for a few weeks either.

• Paid Members

I really like Fool Us, it didn't seem to get the audience it deserved though, maybe there's just no appetite for magic in the mainstream. Dynamo annoys me in that some of his tricks seem completely impossible without some form of post-production cheating. Does he do live shows? I'd like to see him up and close to see if he's actually so good that the fact he's on television doesn't do him credit, or if he's simply a gimmick who relies on camera trickery and special FX to get by.

Archived