MS Works going weird on my PC :( HELP!

DJ Kris

• Paid Members

Ok, PC help needed from people familiar with Microsoft Works. I'm using version 7.

I use works database a lot at work for generating reports but out of nowhere, when I go into a report now the columns are all resized, all by themselves. I fix it, save it and the next time it's the same thing. This is happening with all my reports so it's pretty annoying!

Also despite producing memos (in Works Word Processor) using the font Arial, I will open them again to find the font has altered to Univers, this sometimes happens with the font on my databases too.

What has happened? Can someone tell me how to put this right?

I don't know, but the fact that you're using a 7 year old version of a discontinued product might not be helping. My copy of Word doesn't even open .wps files.

• Paid Members
I don't know, but the fact that you're using a 7 year old version of a discontinued product might not be helping. My copy of Word doesn't even open .wps files.

I have considered this, but it worked fine up until recently and I'm on the same PC I've been for a couple of years, still on Windows XP. We've stuck with Works at the office because apart from being considerably more cost effective than Office, it was gonna be too much hassel to covert all our stuff over. Plus there was really no need since Works does everything the company requires it to do.

• Paid Members
*some bullshit about building really great websites or summink*

No. Just not a fan of OpenOffice after working some place where it was forced upon the staff, because the CEO was too much of a tight-arse to buy the Office suite.

• Paid Members
For the love of god, get MS Office. The last time I used shitty Works was in 2000 when it came free with our Packard Bell shitty PC.

Yeah but the point is, it does exactly what we want it to do. I find (with my admittedly limited use) Excel to be no equivelant to Works Database, which for me does an excellent job of creating a variety of reports off 1 set of figures and can do so on an on going basis, while Excel is more an alternative to Spreadsheet.

• Moderators

No. Just not a fan of OpenOffice after working some place where it was forced upon the staff, because the CEO was too much of a tight-arse to buy the Office suite.

Yeah, I wouldn't really use Open Office's spreadsheet programme for work purposes, but it's all I have at home and it definitely fulfills all the needs that I have of it in that capacity.

• Paid Members

Yeah, I wouldn't really use Open Office's spreadsheet programme for work purposes, but it's all I have at home and it definitely fulfills all the needs that I have of it in that capacity.

I'm actually quite a big fan of Google's Docs offering at the minute. There are some features that don't quite work as they should (table of contents don't have page numbers) but other than that, it's great to just get in and type a document or create a spreadsheet without Microsoft's fluff.

Archived