The Thing Mafia Game

Chris B

From the outside watching in, unless you lynched Carbomb on day 1 there was pretty much no way the town could win? Did the scum lose recruitment ability if Bomb died?

That would leave the issue that if Bomb was killed day one, finlay would have been stuck on his own, i guess the one of recruit would have took over the power, but after that they lost the ability if bomb and the first recruit died?

• Replies 766
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
From the outside watching in, unless you lynched Carbomb on day 1 there was pretty much no way the town could win?

No, only I could recruit.

Did the scum lose recruitment ability if Bomb died?

Yep. If I'd been knocked off, it would've effectively become a lynch vs. lynch game - we had no kill ability.

• Paid Members

As the only role that hasn't been outed, and since it was the reason I confirmed who Carbomb was going to target - Lou Cyfer was a paranoid gun owner. If Carbomb had targeted him after this latest lynch, humanity could still have won.

Scum didn't have night talk abilities or killing abilities. Town had a one-shot day vig, a paranoid gun owner and a doctor/jailkeeper. For the record, there was also a paranoid cop, who was recruited anyway.

I'm actually going to enjoy seeing a full list of the actions taken :p

My views on the game:

Balance:

It does actually seem to be quite well balanced, I would have perhaps had the vig able to shoot twice, simply because i think everyone came to the conclusion that leaving the day vig was fine as essentially he would have been VT after that time, in a cult game a PGO was always quite likely and so the scum had a safe recruit in kenny left. The game seemed to hinge on how well the leader of the cult played, a bad cult leader would most certainly have killed hopes for a scum victory. I don't know, perhaps i would have even had him revert to being unrecruitable, not PGO but not recruitable either.

Flavour:

The flavour was really well done and i enjoyed it, it furthered the paranoia within the town and gave the atmosphere that came with the setup a little boost, kudos on that Chris.

Play:

Well, this was always going to be a difficult one for the town, cult games seem to be in general. I think we need to stop getting ourselves into too much game setup talk as we did toward the beginning of the day and I still maintain that no lynches are by default in 99% of situations the worst possible outcome, my inactivity didn't help since although talking against them, I didn't manage to put good votes down at times.

I still think the cult played this near perfectly, they did deserve the win.

@Lou

Since it was your (first?) game i'm going to try and give a couple of pointers.

As a PGO it was your job to make yourself a target for the scum, you wanted them to recruit or try to kill you. Achieving that can be difficult as it's a fine line between looking town enough that town don't seem interested in lynching you and not too town to look like a likely VT as the scum will be looking primarily for the power roles. The other route you can go down with this is of course to get some really good reads on the go and backing behind them so that the scum feel you're a threat if left to be, even if you're VT if you're scum hunting hard enough and accurately enough they're not going to want you to be around. I don't think anybody managed to get themselves recruited for the latter, except maybe Finlay which would be more down to his previous play as opposed to his play in day 1 of the game. You didn't have the previous reputation and so getting a lynch on the basis of your hunting would be hard or near impossible, if you play well, such will be more automatic like with finlay and perhaps even myself when they attempted to recruit me.

This wasn't an easy game for you to start in and nor was the role. if it hadn't been a cult game and instead a classic scum kills town at night as opposed to recruit them, you would probably have been killed by scum in night one, perhaps night 2 simply because you'd have been less likely to be protected as a new untested player.

Basically it all comes down to 'Do i want scum to kill me?'

if yes there's the things above which might help, namely creating trust from townies, this doesn't need to be full trust, infact a little suspicion can help (scum might think they can frame somoene else if they kill you) plus someone too trusted by the town is more often than not in the early game going to be a VT. You want to post a little more regularly but somewhat cautiously, hint at a role BUT not too much - town wont like that, scum wont touch that either thinking you're being too obvious.

Meh i don't really know where i'm going with this.

The same theory can apply to VT - again even as a VT you WANT to be killed in the night, since this is the most common role and you'll likely play most games as it, you'll learn fairly quickly

Anyway i hope you join us for more games :) Just be a little more active ^_^

I had a feeling about finlay from early on but had no real reason for it. He's a good enough player that you really need a good case if you're going to catch him. Carbomb played a blinder. Looking back, he really didn't do much scumhunting. He just stayed active commenting on others' play. He's a smart one and will almost certainy get a much more thorough investigation from me next time.

Frustrating stuff all round. Very good perfomance from the Thing. Really awful show from town. And a truly dreadful effort from me. I honestly can't think of one thing I did well in this game. But technically I won, so fuck it. ;)

Would also like to add that Kenny finds it impossible not to be scum.

Even when he is not, he still somehow ends up on the scum winning side, so you better prepare yourself for my vote on you whatever the next game is that we are both in Mr Kenny McScum.

• Paid Members
Good call on the protection though SMS, I'm very sorry that we lynched you.

I'm not. That was probably my best ever play, getting the lynch to swing from Tripper to SMS. I really think that is what won the game for us.

• Paid Members
Could well have been a massive factor indeed.

I didn't doubt his roleclaim for a second and felt it crucial to eliminate him. If he hadn't protected you night one, it would have been curtains by day 3.

I didn't doubt his roleclaim for a second and felt it crucial to eliminate him. If he hadn't protected you night one, it would have been curtains by day 3.

I just wish i could have confirmed him somehow, i really do. His asking for me to do so.. i probably should have, being only vanilla myself. It would have only protected him from suspicion for that one day, he would likely have been recruited after that, which i think is why i didnt... still though, in the cult game it wouldn't have confimed him for the whole game like it does in a conventional mafia game. I should have confirmed him and made myself a bigger target the next night than him.

I think what made me less likely to stick my neck out was him saying that i couldn't have a role if i wasn't willing to do it, that didn't seem town motivated at all.

• Paid Members

Very much enjoyed following this game from the outside - hugely disappointed I couldn't be part of it, but much as I expected my time on the boards was limited, and I really wouldn't have been able to contribute.

Good first game Chris, and brilliantly played Carbomb. Looking forward to whoever's up next with a game. I'm definitely in.

Archived