The Thing Mafia Game

Chris B

Chris = Lou?

If so i'll agree, he did well especially considering it a first game and how difficult cult games are generally. Well done, i only offered the tips i did as a little aid for the next game :) You probably know them anyway and coming from me it's rich as i played so badly haha.

Out of interest ron:

If you were following along, did you get many reads right? Reveal them! :)

• Replies 766
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
I'm not. That was probably my best ever play, getting the lynch to swing from Tripper to SMS. I really think that is what won the game for us.

Aye. You were excellent in that phase. It's even more impressive when you consider that you were the only scum actually on SMS wagon.

Being honest, I feel had a pretty crap game, at least until the last phase. Getting the Triple A wagon rolling makes me feel a bit better about my performance since it gave us two options to jump on when someone got to L1.

The rest of my team were excellent. I think I was the only one on the team that ever even got FOS'd in the game.

Really good fun though. The flavour was excellent.

• Paid Members
Chris = Lou?

If so i'll agree, he did well especially considering it a first game and how difficult cult games are generally. Well done, i only offered the tips i did as a little aid for the next game :) You probably know them anyway and coming from me it's rich as i played so badly haha.

Out of interest ron:

If you were following along, did you get many reads right? Reveal them! :)

I thought it was Chris B's first mod game, but I might be wrong on that count - that comment was aimed at him. If it isn't, good game all the same. And yeah, I was impressed at Lou, I hope he keeps playing.

Anyway, I read Kenny correctly quite early on. Other than that I was off the mark with a lot of them to be honest. I never really suspected Carbomb, and to be honest I thought you might be the puppet-master at one stage. I suspected brownie, but I think I'll ALWAYS suspect the guy now after my game!!

Hi, yeah sorry I always voted town and was the paranoid gun owner... I tried to make myself available after the doc roleclaim (please eat me not him) but not too available.

I'll try to take what I've done and maybe play another game, hopefully be on the winning side that time.

Thanks for not being harsh with me guys :-)

• Paid Members

Day One

Carbomb was The Thing (oddly, I ran the randomiser through twice, as I lost the first one, and he came up as The Thing both times). I wanted him to start the game alone, but there was the obvious problem that the game would be over if he was lynched. So, he got the ability to day recruit on the first day only. However, the scum didn't have the ability to night talk.

He recruited Unfitfinlay, which I was annoyed about. I'd given Unfitfinlay the role of 'paranoid cop', so everyone he recruited would have turned out to be The Thing. Which I thought would lead to some huge fun. But he never got to check anyone out. Damn it.

Nobody was lynched.

Night one

The Thing tried to recruit Chris Stone, but they were prevented from doing so by SMS. GREAT call there.

Day Two

Another no lynch. Sigh.

Night Two

SMS protected Swiftstrike.

The Thing recruited Brownie, meaning that Carbomb was effectively putting together the Nexus team from a previous game.

Day Three

Kenny takes a bold move and....kills Swiftstrike. D'oh.

Triple A makes my favourite post in the game.

OH WELL BRAVO KENNY!

:p

Not sure what to make of that. It still doesn't many questions as he wasn't scum or a power role.

Scum split their votes quite smartly, and blend in. Humans decide the best thing to do is to lynch their doctor.

Night Three

With nobody to stop them, The Thing recruits Bristep.

Day Four

The idea of The Thing taking over the radio led to me giving a little bonus to the scum, with their only chance at day talk - I let them each write their own message to town to taunt them with. That's why all the messages appeared so strange - and hopefully fun. Rather than needing to pile in, The Thing wait back while Kenny and Triple A swap suspicions. They can't pile on as they don't have day talk.

Triple A is lynched. Carbomb outs himself, and I stopped day while checking who he would recruit.

Part of me hoped that he'd go for Lou, as that would have opened the WHOLE game right back up. But he doesn't.

The Thing wins.

Thing player of the game - As good as Unfitfinlays play was, it's got to be Carbomb. Re-recruiting the Nexus team was a stroke of genius as they played well the first time.

Town player of the game - Tough one. I'm going to give it to Kenny. SMS would have had it, had he not outed himself completely unnecessarily. He pretty much signed his own death warrant when he did. Kenny's day-shot coming when it did pumped a lot of life into the game, and got everything moving.

This was, indeed, my first mod game. I'm glad feedback mostly appears to be positive.

I thought you did a great job as a mod, it's just a shame that as a town we didn't play it better - had we done so i think it could have gotten very interesting and indeed, if carbomb had of recruited Lou at the end i'd have laughed so incredibly hard. I believe at the start of the game, he practically gave a list of everyone he planned to recruit, in a 'if its cult these people will probably be first'.

So the cult had no night or day talk? I assume each were notified of the new recruitments?

That's why we saw no hammers in LYLO and why although it made Lou look guilty it held no relovance.

Quick question to the cult though:

How do you feel that (other than the above situation) the lack of communication affected your play?

I've actually for a while now toyed around with the idea of reading a mafia topic only if i absolutely need to (if mafia of course) feeling it may help my mafia game. The fact none of you seemed to arouse suspicion could suggest that works, do you feel not being able to talk contributed?

• Paid Members
I've actually for a while now toyed around with the idea of reading a mafia topic only if i absolutely need to (if mafia of course) feeling it may help my mafia game.

I'd strongly suggest against this. For a start you risk annoying all of your fellow scum through the fact that anything they are trying to say to you, will be sorely ignored by you, so they may be planning something (as they may have role stuff that's important to inform you of) and you'll be ignoring them entirely. It would be even worse to try over on MafiaScum itself, to the point you could wind up with some people blacklisting you for not playing to win (as you wouldn't be helping the side out as much as yourself, if you catch me).

• Paid Members
Thanks for not being harsh with me guys :-)

No worries at all man. You did a hell of a lot better than I did in my first game: I think I had something like eleven posts and didn't place a single vote the entire game. AND that was being scum with really good players who basically guided me through the game.

Also, in regards to people saying you were lurking. You had more posts in this game than I did in the last one and I was MVP then. Just saying.

I thought you did a great job as a mod, it's just a shame that as a town we didn't play it better - had we done so i think it could have gotten very interesting and indeed, if carbomb had of recruited Lou at the end i'd have laughed so incredibly hard. I believe at the start of the game, he practically gave a list of everyone he planned to recruit, in a 'if its cult these people will probably be first'.

So the cult had no night or day talk? I assume each were notified of the new recruitments?

That's why we saw no hammers in LYLO and why although it made Lou look guilty it held no relovance.

Quick question to the cult though:

How do you feel that (other than the above situation) the lack of communication affected your play?

I've actually for a while now toyed around with the idea of reading a mafia topic only if i absolutely need to (if mafia of course) feeling it may help my mafia game. The fact none of you seemed to arouse suspicion could suggest that works, do you feel not being able to talk contributed?

Sort of. I'm not saying you should ignore the scum topic completely, which I think is how Mike is taking it, but it is easier to look town when you aren't obviously stratigising about who to lynch etc. Dan, SMS and I really didn't do that until the last phase of the Chinatown game either and I think that was one of the reasons we were able to go the whole game with no one realising we were there.

I agree with all Chris B's choices (except I still think I sucked and also I wasn't in the Nexus game so that bit went over my head). SMS IS really underrated in these games though. If he hadn't claimed so early and had possibly explained his suspicion on me a bit better (i.e he thought I was good in the last game so I'd be a logical recruit for someone else rather than just that he didn't think he could trust me) then I think he would've been able to at least avoid getting lynched, if not get me lynched. Kenny did play a good town game though and I'm very glad that we murdered him and replaced him with an evil extension of us that resembled him, so that he could win the game as well.

I refuse to allow in my mind that kenny won as scum AND got mvp for the town - you'll have to pick one kenny! ;)

but yeah, i didn't mean ignore it completely, but be less involved, make posts and then read it after - without some kind of small plan. I think certainly in day 1 knowing who your scum team is is enough and would help with not creating too much of a distance or too much sheeping to be looked back on. Large archs of play between scum are less visible i than small incidents of helping each other out of tight spots.

Sorry guys, but it looks like my role claim was what cost us the game, but as I have said before I thoughtbI had 4 votes out of 6 needed on me and I wasn't going to be around much.

I faced a tough choice outing myself or letting you lynch a power role.

Why so many if you decided to lynch me anyhow, instead if a human when I was claiming a power role, was a poor decision but looking at the game you would have had no way of knowing for definate.

Thanks for the kind remarks Finlay, but if I am honest, thar was just a jokey comment about you and I wasn't being serious so you basically got through the game without any major suspicions.

You are jusr a naturally scummy guy when it comes to these games.

The reason I protected Stone was because I had no idea who to vote for, so I just chose one of the players who usually has a lot of good things to say, as I had no idea on day 1.

I worked out Swift was town on day 2 so that is why I protected him.

I am officially claiming town MVP, because I protected the town night one and on night 2 protected the very same human Kenny wasted his shot on, he also hammered the lynch on me as well as ending up scum.

I think I have a solid case for MVP for town.

• Paid Members
I think I have a solid case for MVP for town.

First solid case you've made this game. :p

The lack of daytalk was a nightmare for me because I couldn't speak to Finlay and Carbomb to help me lynch SMS and there was a moment when Kenny had 2 votes that Finlay, Bomber and I were all online and could've hammered and won. But a win is a win.

Interesting fact - i've only ever won as scum. I've never won as town.

Archived