So it looks like I might be going to Australia

andrew "the ref" coyne

So the mrs might be getting a job in melbourne australia, and thanks to the visa having a plus one, looks like I will be too! Anyone been / live there? This a monster of a decision to make and would love to hear peoples thoughts. Especially on things like prices of things, things to do etc.

Also, anyone know of any decent Feds to catch in the area?

• Paid Members
So the mrs might be getting a job in melbourne australia, and thanks to the visa having a plus one, looks like I will be too! Anyone been / live there? This a monster of a decision to make and would love to hear peoples thoughts. Especially on things like prices of things, things to do etc.

It's a fucking huge thing. You might as well say goodbye to your family etc. My now brother in laws parents moved to New Zealand, his dad's dad died while out there and lots of other shit happenend they lasted five years now they are up for sale and moving back.

The whole thing moving that far is it is life changing and it is hard to cope with it. My mate James moved out there and only lasted 5 months he was on cracking money for fitting carpet but it is like starting your whole life over again. He made friends and all that but they just live and lead way different lives from what you will be used to. Different sense of humor. My brother in law went to New Zealand for 6 weeks and just could not click with the people, he was 27 and the people although they were really nice/sound were just complelty different from what he was used to. I know that might seem obvious but that is a big part of not getting on just being unable to connect to other people in the way you could easily over here can get you down quickly.

Good luck if you do it though the UKFF is always here for your bit of British.

It's a fucking huge thing. You might as well say goodbye to your family etc. My now brother in laws parents moved to New Zealand, his dad's dad died while out there and lots of other shit happenend they lasted five years now they are up for sale and moving back.

The whole thing moving that far is it is life changing and it is hard to cope with it. My mate James moved out there and only lasted 5 months he was on cracking money for fitting carpet but it is like starting your whole life over again. He made friends and all that but they just live and lead way different lives from what you will be used to. Different sense of humor. My brother in law went to New Zealand for 6 weeks and just could not click with the people, he was 27 and the people although they were really nice/sound were just complelty different from what he was used to. I know that might seem obvious but that is a big part of not getting on just being unable to connect to other people in the way you could easily over here can get you down quickly.

Good luck if you do it though the UKFF is always here for your bit of British.

Cheers for that. Weirdly enough its nice to hear something negative. Everyone's automatic reactions is "oh wow that amazing" or "wahoo, somewhere we can crash if we go on holiday" and not a lot of people seem to understand the potential upheaval on my behalf.

I know its going to be a exciting time, but also I know I will have to give up a lot.

Its good to have perspective.

I lived in Sydney for 2 years and NZ for 1 year and it wasn't for someone in my family getting sick then i wouldn't have come home.

I really really loved it out there.

Melbourne is nice. Their winters aren't as warm are you might expect. Obviously nothing like a English winter. I just spent a month here and the rest in Sydney. People who are big into their drinking and social scene seem to prefer Melbourne to Sydney. People who prefer the outdoors and beaches seem to prefer Sydney. Not saying there are no beaches in Melbourne and that there is no social scene in Sydney of course.

The money isnt bad, the food is pretty much the same. I'm Irish and always gotten on well with the Aussies, however i did hear mention the "Poms" quite a bit so i don't know if they act different towards the english.

What type of work do you do as a matter of interest?

Its good to have perspective.

I lived in Sydney for 2 years and NZ for 1 year and it wasn't for someone in my family getting sick then i wouldn't have come home.

I really really loved it out there.

Melbourne is nice. Their winters aren't as warm are you might expect. Obviously nothing like a English winter. I just spent a month here and the rest in Sydney. People who are big into their drinking and social scene seem to prefer Melbourne to Sydney. People who prefer the outdoors and beaches seem to prefer Sydney. Not saying there are no beaches in Melbourne and that there is no social scene in Sydney of course.

The money isnt bad, the food is pretty much the same. I'm Irish and always gotten on well with the Aussies, however i did hear mention the "Poms" quite a bit so i don't know if they act different towards the english.

What type of work do you do as a matter of interest?

I work in online marketing. I'm hoping my boss will allow me to work abroad, but the fall back plan is that the missus should be able to support me until I find something else.

One idea was for me to try and get some part time online work and part time bar work, with the hope that me getting a bar job would give me and my girlfriend a outlet to meet new people.

Edit: Oh and my girlfriend (who will be getting the visa) works in social services.

My Uncle moved to Melbourne in the 80's, he was in Stamps, Stanley Gibbons, he fell in love with the place and never returned home (well apart from the odd visit) he's now retired, has built a family over there and from what I gather he would never want to live anywhere else.

I'd move over there in a second if I had the option. Oh, there are GIANT spiders and lots of snakes. If that doesn't make you shiver, you'll be fine.

Melbourne is very urban, I live near Sydney but they're similar areas in that respect. The wrestling scene isn't up to much in Aus., the most prolific is the AWF I believe, I think they've had Kizarny and Chris Masters in the past, nothing special. Melbourne is renowned for arts and culture, Aussie Rules football, and the massive comedy festival every year that I must go to one year.

Plenty of spiders, snakes not so much. ;)

I moved out to Melbourne about 9 weeks ago and absolutely love it here. I know it's early days but I can honestly I'm so glad I got out of England. Can't see myself going home unless it's family related. Staying with a couple of friends in St Kilda with my GF and have mostly spent my time here playing golf and watching the AFL at MCG and Etihad.

Weather has been pretty good thus far for winter time. The weekend so far here has been sunshine and spent last night at the G watching Hawthorn kick Essendon's backside. For me AFL has been a good sport to watch over here. Far better that football back home as far as real athletes getting stuck in. Far more entertaining than any football back home. Saw Mark Watson recently at the Melbourne Comedy festival which was very funny.

• Paid Members

I've known a lot of people that have been to Aus on an extended holiday, going travelling etc. It seems to be the done thing these days. Every single one of them has fallen in love with the place (inc Jasmine above) and if they haven't stayed out there or gone back, has vowed to move there for good someday. From what I gather it seems to be the stress-free attitude over there that does it for everyone. The weather helps and the culture is Westernised so isn't indifferent to here.

• 1 year later...
  • Paid Members

Sorry to bump this thread but didn't want to start a new one and clog up the board.

I'm thinking of going to Australia on a working holiday next year. My two best mates have been there since April of this year and are going back out in February. They have told me that I can go over and join them and I can work and stay with them.

My question, has anyone done a working holiday to Australia? Is it difficult to get the Visa? Will I need a tax code or Australian bank account? and basically, is it worth killing myself at work to earn enough money to do it?

Archived