CM Punks Contract Situation - How Will It Play Out?

David

• Paid Members
Because I secretly get off on being disappointed here's a "Punk leaves" scenario I thought of this afternoon which would be awesome.

I said it on page 1, and now that you've gone into more detail, I'll say it again, I think thats rubbish. Its funny though, cause its full of the kind of illogical crap that you often criticize WWE for on a regular basis.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Because I secretly get off on being disappointed here's a "Punk leaves" scenario I thought of this afternoon which would be awesome.

I said it on page 1, and now that you've gone into more detail, I'll say it again, I think thats rubbish. Its funny though, cause its full of the kind of illogical crap that you often criticize WWE for on a regular basis.

Bollocks. It makes perfect sense, it creates compelling television and it'd create new feuds.

I think that would be really stupid. Why would Punk be appearing on Raw if he has quit? He hasnt really quit if he is still showing up each week. Why would Vince put his CEO position on the line when he could just strip him off the belt? How long would you run this storyline for?

1. Punk appears on Raw to gloat, he's a heel, why wouldn't he act smug when he's done the unthinkable and stolen the belt from the company? In my scenario Punk wants to change the landscape of the WWE by literally seizing control of the company.

2. Punk took the belt away from the WWE, why would he give it back just because Vince asked him to?

3. The storyline would run for however long they felt they could run it for. We know that Cena needs the belt in time for next years Wrestlemania, why not give him some time off until he can have a triumphant return in the WWE's hour of need to finally defeat Punk and send him packing?

Dont forget this is WWE, logic goes out the window. If Punk wins, he wont get stripped or anything like that, he'll just end up working the next few months in a dominant role threatening to take over or whatever and will leave as soon as he loses it back to Cena, that's if he actually wins, you cant say he doesn't deserve to.

• Moderators

Bollocks. It makes perfect sense, it creates compelling television and it'd create new feuds.

He's right you know. It is crap. Are you honestly saying making half the company The Nexus is a good idea? Wouldn't that make every heel in the company subservient to Punk and below him in the pecking order? That's silly. That whole angle you dreamed up involved cutting the legs off a shitload of people to get one man over.

Has anyone ever actually seen a good fantasy booking idea?

Punk is the best heel in the company by a substantial margin though, now that Orton is a face the company doesn't have any superstar caliber heels. Sheamus, Christian, R-Truth, even Alberto Del Rio aren't stars in the same way Cena or Orton are. Besides, Punk doesn't have to be making anyone his bitch, he's just the guy who decided to ruin everything for his own amusement. The nWo worked because it was a legitimate threat to the established order, it created interest in the company and most importantly it got people watching, this would be a similar sort of thing except it wouldn't end up killing the company irl. In my opinion the WWE desperately needs a shakeup and I can't think of anything better than an nWo style hostile takeover.

• Paid Members
1. Punk appears on Raw to gloat, he's a heel, why wouldn't he act smug when he's done the unthinkable and stolen the belt from the company? In my scenario Punk wants to change the landscape of the WWE by literally seizing control of the company.

How has he "stolen" the belt from the company? Your scenario is saying that Punk wins the WWE title, and is then meant to be no longer a part of the roster, so why would he keep turning up on TV each week? If you wanted to book it effectively, surely Punk should be nowhere near the area. Its a lot like when Cena was fired, but was still on Raw each week. It majorly hampered the effect of the storyline.

2. Punk took the belt away from the WWE, why would he give it back just because Vince asked him to?

Why would Vince even ask for it back? Vince would just come out and say "CM Punk won the belt on his last night in the company. He retired as Champion, now the belt is vacant." When Edge retired as Champion, just a few months ago, they vacated the title. They have a precedent for this very situation, which only happened this very year. Also, why would Vince just give the title to Cena? A heel Bischoff gave a heel Triple H the belt a few years ago. A face Vince (which he would be in your scenario) would never just award the title to a face John Cena. He would make a tournament to crown a new champion, a Battle Royal, and Elimination Chamber, anything other than just hand the belt to someone.

No it doesnt. It just rehashes the Nexus storyline for a third time. Only this time, you have a bunch of people who are trying to further their status by following a guy who supposedly doesnt even work for the company anymore. As Butch points out, you are cutting the legs off a dozen wrestlers to try and get one man over. A man who is leaving at the end of your storyline anyway.

Why would Vince put his position as CEO on the line for someone else to win the belt. Whats in it for Vince that cant be achieved so much more easily by just stripping Punk of the belt and having a tournament to crown a new champion?

Dont forget this is WWE, logic goes out the window.

Thats fair enough. The point I'm making about logic is that Vito constantly whines about the WWE's lack of logic in their storylines, and yet here he is, fantasy booking a dumbass storyline.

If Punk wins, he wont get stripped or anything like that, he'll just end up working the next few months in a dominant role threatening to take over or whatever and will leave as soon as he loses it back to Cena, that's if he actually wins, you cant say he doesn't deserve to

Personally, I dont think he will win it. I think they will build him up as a threat over the next few weeks. Make out that someone winning the belt, and taking it away from the WWE would be some world ending scenario, and how Cena must win at all costs, for the future of the WWE and its roster. And then Cena will win.

Compared to the bone idleness of the usual ideas the writers come up with I think it'd be entertaining and most of the criticisms can be explained away relatively easily. CM Punk convinces a section of the roster to stage a coup, they revolt, take over for a bit, get too cocky, then lose everything. It's wrestling, as long as it's entertaining and brings in the punters it doesn't matter if it doesn't make perfect sense, a million other less logical things have happened in wrestling which didn't make a lot of sense but were still considered to be good.

• Paid Members
Compared to the bone idleness of the usual ideas the writers come up with I think it'd be entertaining

No it wouldnt. The idea has no redeeming qualities. Nobody gets over apart from the man leaving the company. Its a cliched, nWo rip-off with a bunch of wrestlers who will just turn for no reason. You'll have a roster full of Horace and Vincenets. I'm surprised R&B security didnt debut during your post. You cant say "you said you were going to make us stars :(", because the perception that the company is marketing to the casual viewer is that they are all superstars. Acting like your not a big deal, never gets over. How many people in the Alliance were over? That idea wouldnt win you the European Belt in a shit E-Fed.

I think that even the most dim-witted of WWE fans can recognise that there's a huge difference between John Cena and Yoshi Tatsu. To say that nobody would benefit except Punk is also looking at it unfairly negatively, it's a purely hypothetical scenario but if it were up to me I'd definitely use it as an oppertunity to build new stars, God knows they need to do something. Also, the "nWo ripoff" comment is a bit lazy, DX was the WWE's spin on the nWo and the first two incarnations of that worked well until they bled it dry and refused to let it go.

• Moderators
I think that even the most dim-witted of WWE fans can recognise that there's a huge difference between John Cena and Yoshi Tatsu. To say that nobody would benefit except Punk is also looking at it unfairly negatively, it's a purely hypothetical scenario but if it were up to me I'd definitely use it as an oppertunity to build new stars, God knows they need to do something. Also, the "nWo ripoff" comment is a bit lazy, DX was the WWE's spin on the nWo and the first two incarnations of that worked well until they bled it dry and refused to let it go.

DX only ever had a few members though, not half the company in it. How would this idea build new stars in the heel section?

• Paid Members
Also, the "nWo ripoff" comment is a bit lazy, DX was the WWE's spin on the nWo and the first two incarnations of that worked well until they bled it dry and refused to let it go.

Yeah, DX was WWE's spin on the nWo. There is a difference between putting a spin on an idea and just rehashing it. DX didnt have half the company join them and try and take over WWE.

So your wanting to take an idea that by your own admittance has been bled dry, and now your going to try and bled it a little more? The people who turned would end up like Horace Hogan and the likes in nWo, or all the guys standing around in the background during the Alliance days. They would be nobodies.

it's a purely hypothetical scenario but if it were up to me I'd definitely use it as an oppertunity to build new stars

How exactly? Everyone says "WWE should create new stars" like its something that is so easily done.

If I was so inclined I could spend the rest of the evening writing an in depth analysis of everyone involved, the roles they'd be playing, their motivations for doing so, what they'd be doing and where it'd lead, but it seems like a waste of time to get excited over something which is inevitably going to lead to disappointment anyway.

Archived