CM Punks Contract Situation - How Will It Play Out?

David

Punks in-ring promo on Raw after the triple threat match for the #1 contenders position has kick-started one of WWE's more interesting storylines in recent times.

There was talk that his contract was coming to an end a while back, and they've obviously decided to use a bit of realism in one of their storylines for a refreshing change. How will this one play out do you think?

The obvious answer is that he won't beat Cena at the PPV, but the more interesting scenario would be him actually winning the title then "leaving" the company. This avenue throws up so many different possibilities in my opinion.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only problem with the logic that Punk can leave with the title so Raw won't have one is Vince or the Raw GM can easily strip him of the title the next night on Raw or even by the end of the PPV so to get out of that they would have to say the Punk has got it put into his contract that he can't be stripped of the title even if he leaves.

He won't beat super Cena, who I can see holding the title now for a long long time - which means that, should he decide to return to WWE after leaving (which he almost certainly will in the future) there is a ready made feud to stick him straight back into against the man who made him leave the company

Its the same thing that happened in ROH, He had a title shot the night his contract expired. Won the belt and stayed on for a couple more months, when he lost the belt. He left.

Either that or if he does win the belt at MITB, whoever wins the Raw briefcase might even cash it in that night and take it straight off of him.

The only problem with the logic that Punk can leave with the title so Raw won't have one is Vince or the Raw GM can easily strip him of the title the next night on Raw or even by the end of the PPV so to get out of that they would have to say the Punk has got it put into his contract that he can't be stripped of the title even if he leaves.

Yeah, there's always going to be something they could do to stop him, but i'm hoping they're actually going somewhere with the angle, which would involve a bit of suspended reality and shit.

That couldn't be discussed in the Raw thread? I've seen the episode but if I hadn't I could have definitely have put two and two together from this thread title.

It's bigger than a regular Raw thread. I slapped spoilers on it which is the best I can do.

He won't beat super Cena, who I can see holding the title now for a long long time - which means that, should he decide to return to WWE after leaving (which he almost certainly will in the future) there is a ready made feud to stick him straight back into against the man who made him leave the company

Cena isn't making him leave though he's leaving with or without the title.

I could see Punk winning only for the MITB winner (Del Rio) to cash in and beat him then Cena will challenge them at Summerslam.

i really wouldn't blame punk for leaving if he did wwe just don't understand he is talent

they need to utilize him as the incredible wrestler he is not just keep jobing him out in ppv's making him worthless

i really wouldn't blame punk for leaving if he did wwe just don't understand he is talent

they need to utilize him as the incredible wrestler he is not just keep jobing him out in ppv's making him worthless

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

he beat Rey on sunday

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

That's true, but if Punk can get out of the building in one piece he'd still have possession of the actual title belt. They could do a storyline where John Cena, the ultimate babyface, refuses to allow Vince to strip Punk of the title because he want to defeat Punk and win the title fair and square, Punk can appear on Raw with an entourage of bodyguards and essentially hold the company to ransom until he finally decides to return for one last match and fight Cena. Obviously they'd have to make it worth Punk's while to fight Cena, maybe Punk can force Vince to put his CEO position on the line, if Cena wins he gets his belt back, if Punk wins he gets control of the WWE.

^ That right there will be infinitely better than whatever they do decide to do. I'm calling it now.

I just can't wait for them to f*ck it up, which is a damn shame because the storylines mentioned above in this thread sound really exciting.

I doubt Punk will be allowed to let go, if he does then what can I say only that I'll have half as much interest in the product. It's not good that I watch Raw for just him and a couple of others.

• Paid Members

That's true, but if Punk can get out of the building in one piece he'd still have possession of the actual title belt. They could do a storyline where John Cena, the ultimate babyface, refuses to allow Vince to strip Punk of the title because he want to defeat Punk and win the title fair and square, Punk can appear on Raw with an entourage of bodyguards and essentially hold the company to ransom until he finally decides to return for one last match and fight Cena. Obviously they'd have to make it worth Punk's while to fight Cena, maybe Punk can force Vince to put his CEO position on the line, if Cena wins he gets his belt back, if Punk wins he gets control of the WWE.

^ That right there will be infinitely better than whatever they do decide to do. I'm calling it now.

I think that would be really stupid. Why would Punk be appearing on Raw if he has quit? He hasnt really quit if he is still showing up each week. Why would Vince put his CEO position on the line when he could just strip him off the belt? How long would you run this storyline for?

They'll more than likely go with a bunch of legends telling John Cena in the run up that Punk winning and retiring with the belt would be the greatest threat this company has ever faced - without ever explaining why - and how John Cena must win this match in order to protect the other wrestlers livelihood. Then Cena will win and Punk will get a "Na-na-na-na, Na-na-nah-nah, Hey-yeah-eh, Goodbye" still comedy send off.

Personally I think that's absurd. If he genuinely believes he is being misused he is being utterly spoilt. Wwe plucked him from the indies, took a chance on him, gave him multiple ecw, tag, ic and world title reigns. He's been allowed to have some great matches and was even allowed to use his own gimmick and ring name (a priviledge many don't get).

He got to be the only two time MITB winner, had some great pay days by having some high profile matches on ppv and has been generally made to look very strong. In the pecking order of things there were only a handful of people above him, including legends such as the undertaker and HHH, or guaranteed money makers like orton and cena.

The charming bugger even got to the opportunity to score with multiple divas.

If (IF... Because we all know what the net is like for reporting heresay) punk is leaving because he feels underused or unappreciated, then he is a ungrateful ass.

Is it taken for granted that Punk is definitely leaving the company? Maybe he has signed a contract extension.

If he does leave, I dread to think what kind of direction WWE programming will plummet to. Punk is easily the best thing on the show: I've really enjoyed R-Truth's recent run, but knowing how readily the booking team seems to go cold on a developing project, he will probably be getting beat clean by David Hart Smith on Superstars this time next month.

I've seen a lot of comments that suggest people will stop watching altogether if CM Punk leaves, and I can hardly blame them. Most others I enjoy have been booked terribly to a point where I can't abide by them anymore: Del Rio, who I'm a huge mark for, has lost any meaning and is floundering: he could hopefully be rescued by a title programme with Cena. I want to get behind Alex Riley but he's in the same boat as Truth. Christian's heel turn has been dire and hasn't played to his strengths at all - this is evident from the shitty reactions (or lack of) he's been getting. They have succeeded in boring me off Dolph Ziggler and making me think he isn't equipped to headline. Sheamus seems to have no purpose at all anymore and considering he was becoming a main event fixture, it's a bad omen that he's been punted by Orton on TV. The same goes for Wade Barrett, another potential headliner marred by awful booking. Daniel Bryan looks so out of place and is rooted to the midcard. All these guys I mentioned are guys I want to see them do stuff with/think are capable of doing something with.

Add to that the constant force-feedings of Cena, Orton, Mysterio and Big Show (all guys I was once a fan of and I'm fed up with)...I'd say the company is in a bad way.

Archived