CM Punks Contract Situation - How Will It Play Out?

David

• Moderators
Wwe plucked him from the indies, took a chance on him

In other words he was nothing before they sent him to OVW to "learn how to work?" Jesus, that well just never runs dry on the UKFF does it? I do agree that he's unjustfied in claiming he's underused, but the idea that he should be kissing their ass for gicing him a chance in the first place is a strech too far I'm afraid

Would he have had a modicum of the success without the polishing he received in OVW? I'd wager not. He wasn't ready for mainstream TV. OVW smoothed his rough edges, and he's a far far better worker for it.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In other words he was nothing before they sent him to OVW to "learn how to work?" Jesus, that well just never runs dry on the UKFF does it? I do agree that he's unjustfied in claiming he's underused, but the idea that he should be kissing their ass for gicing him a chance in the first place is a strech too far I'm afraid

Would he have had a modicum of the success without the polishing he received in OVW? I'd wager not. He wasn't ready for mainstream TV. OVW smoothed his rough edges, and he's a far far better worker for it.

You're avoiding addressing the point that he "couldn't work" prior to his OVW stint, when clearly he could. He had his gimmick to a tee, he had the same look (minus 10 pounds of muscle) and got his gear sorted prior to leaving. What OVW done for him was teach him how to survive in an environment with 1000s of other employees.

Your putting words into your mouth and reading far too much into one little sentence.

I never said he "was nothing". I also never said he should be kissing their ass.

All I said was that he was "plucked from the indies and given a chance." What exactly did I say that was infactual?

He was "plucked" (I.e hired) and they took a chance on him to make money for himself and wwe. That's just a factual statement. Before you NOBODY mentioned OVW. Only YOU mentioned ovw's role in punk success.

there is no way that Vince would want an exiting wrestler headlining a PPV and then departing for another company.

Christian did exactly this on his way out of WWE the first time. It just depends on what sort of relationship you have with Vince.

Jeff Hardy held the title right up until he left also.

As someone else has already said, that wasn't the case with Christian, and with Jeff Hardy, I don't think anyone thought that TNA would want to touch him with all of his 'issues' and given the current situation with him, I'm guessing that they wish they hadn't now. Hardy was super-popular and so WWE just thought that they were making the most of having him there before (they presumed) he got banged up for being permanently off his box on crystal meth (allegedly).

In other words he was nothing before they sent him to OVW to "learn how to work?"

Yes, that's common knowledge. He wasn't even good enough to be a featured performer on Heat in 2005. They really helped him come along tremendously though, and he's very, very good now.

• Paid Members

At least he doesnt do one hour matches where everything makes no sense these days. Also, he seems to have cut down on the amount finishers he's nicked off established wrestlers and Japanese blokes. I always thought his move set was the easiest to create on Smackdown when he was in ROH.

• Moderators

You're avoiding addressing the point that he "couldn't work" prior to his OVW stint, when clearly he could. He had his gimmick to a tee, he had the same look (minus 10 pounds of muscle) and got his gear sorted prior to leaving. What OVW done for him was teach him how to survive in an environment with 1000s of other employees.

I'm not avoiding anything. "Couldn't work" and "Learn how to work" are different things in my eyes. No-one said he couldn't work as far as I could see, so there's no point there to avoid. And "Learn how to work" in that context as regards OVW has pretty much always meant Learn to work for TV in my eyes. His timing is far better, and his psychology is far better now too, and I say that's due to his time in OVW. His matches tell better stories, which makes him a better worker.

Don't know why I'm replying to this since DDD will now run off back to the ROH thread and never look here again, safe in the knowledge that he won't defend a single point of view he puts forward, but there's no question that OVW made Punk from ROH indyboy darling to mainstream WWE Superstar. His look now, or even upon his ECW debut in 2006, is streets ahead of the Punk from even his days as ROH Champion. That plus his vastly improved ring style says WWE didn't have to take a chance on him; they could've easily let him go be a midcard nobody in TNA as he would've been, but instead, they invested in him and made him huge.

Anyway, Punk said some especially interesting things on Twitter the other day...

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

I knew I was gone at the beginning of the year. I just woke up one day and I knew. That's the way I work a lot of the time.

[21 Jun via Twitter for iPhone]

I think it's creepy too, but it's really helpful. I knew I'd be history by July. Come say goodbye on July 17th.

Come say goodbye on July 17th. I promise to go out with a bang. Trust me. XxX

Even more interesting when you read this:

"Heart of the Devil" or "Goodbye Blue and White"

I knew I was gone at the beggining of the year.

I just woke up one day and knew. That's the way I work a lot of the time. I think it's creepy too, but it's really helpful. I honestly knew i'd be history by June.

Come say goodbye on Saturday, I promise to go out with a bang.

Trust me.

XxX

CM Punk's livejournal, Wednesday June 15th 2005

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

He's pretty clever.

Because I secretly get off on being disappointed here's a "Punk leaves" scenario I thought of this afternoon which would be awesome.

CM Punk defeats John Cena at The Money In The Bank PPV, the referee grudgingly hands Punk the belt just as the entire WWE lockerroom sprints down the ramp, Punk snatches the belt and runs out of the arena through the crowd then jumps into a car which is being driven by one of the Nexus members. The WWE roster attempts to stop the car but they end up leaping out of the way to avoid being run over. The PPV ends with a shot of the car speeding off into the night with CM Punk smirking out of the back window.

The next night on Raw Vince McMahon announces that CM Punk has been stripped of the WWE Championship and that the title reverts back to John Cena. John Cena comes out and apologises for interrupting Vince, he says that as a competitor he couldn't look at himself in the mirror knowing that he was just handed the title, Cena says that he wants to meet CM Punk in the ring and bring the title back home where it belongs. On the titantron we cut to the parking lot where we see several cars roll up, twenty tough looking bodyguards in suits get out of the vehicles followed by CM Punk and the members of Nexus, a couple of security guards flanked by several WWE road agents demand that Punk surrender the WWE title and leave the arena. The security guards and road agents are beaten down, a number of low-card wrestlers attempt to intervene but are also beaten down, Punk leads his entourage through the backstage area until they reach the stage area, Punk demands that they play his music but the sound guy refuses and is shoved to the floor. Punk and his entourage make their way down to the ring, Punk climbs into the ring alone as the bodyguards set up a perimeter.

Vince demands that Punk hand over the title belt and get the Hell off of his show, Punk informs Vince that he doesn't understand the gravity of the situation he's facing, he says that the WWE is dying under Vince's rule and that he has a responsibility as a professional wrestler who loves the business to do something about it. Punk explains that he will give John Cena a rematch, but only if Vince puts his CEO position on the line. Punk explains that while Vince is fickle and treats the company as his own personal plaything he understands what the fans truly want to see.

Before Punk can finish his sentence the entire WWE lockerroom, roads agents, legends and referees walk out onto the stage. Vince explains that he knew Punk's ego couldn't allow him to stay away, he says that he knew Punk would come and that by confronting him in the ring he fell into his trap. Punk looks spooked and looks frantically for an exit as some of the wrestlers who appeared on the stage walk down to the ring and begin taunting Punk's security force. Suddenly half of the superstars amongst the crowd begin beating up the others assisted by Punk's security, the Nexus members slide into the ring and restrain a gobsmacked Vince as Punk wallops a distracted Cena with the title belt. Punk gets in Vince's face and explains that there are a lot of people in the WWE who have been waiting patiently for their oppertunity, Vince promised that they'd be stars if they followed his orders only to be passed over time and time again in favour of t-shirt salesman like John Cena and Rey Mysterio, Punk explains that the WWE would be a much fairer place for everyone if CM Punk were in charge and that a lot of people did the right thing tonight by doing the right thing and seizing their own opportunities. Vince, furious with rage, tries to get at Punk who simply kicks him in the nuts. With the battle outside the ring over and with half of the lockeroom in retreat Punk gazes over at his new army who have lined up around the ring, Punk's new recruits take off their shirts to reveal Nexus t-shirts then throw up the Nexus fist salute, Punk smirks and throws his own fist up.

• Moderators

Don't know why I'm replying to this since DDD will now run off back to the ROH thread and never look here again, safe in the knowledge that he won't defend a single point of view he puts forward

Indeed. He's the DynamiteDuane of On-Topic.

Archived