The Championship and Lower Leagues Thread 2011/2

patiirc

Darlington have been relegated four divisions to the Northern League Division One on the recommendation of the Football Association.

Ouch... Really went horribly wrong for them didnt it. Guess the White Elephant of a Stadium will be sold now for redevelopment?

That was always going to turn out tragic from the start. I was up in Darlington when it was being built without proper and complete planning permission, Reynolds is and always was just a crook in business and in life. Its the best thing for them now though, I dont know if theyre playing at Feethams again or a completely different ground? Either way they should go the way of Chester and start to slowly build their way back up.

Signs of promise and fight from the new owners...

DFC 1883, the people behind Darlington FC, have today learned in an email from the FA that their future as a community football club will start in the STL Northern League.

A statement from the group said: "We had appraised all potential outcomes and have produced plans and a financial model that will work at this level and the focus now will be to get the football club back up through the leagues as quickly as possible. We can be inspired by clubs like Chester, Wrexham and others who have taken this journey and enjoyed great football, grounds with atmosphere and a rekindling of supporters

• Replies 950
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Remaining on the non-league front, the Blue Square Premier North will be interesting next season with 3 ex league clubs from recent years battling it out in Halifax, Chester and Boston (I know Bradford PA were league as well but I am thinking more since I became interested in footy in the early ninties).

Last time I checked Chester and Halifax were on something of a resurgence which is good to see

• Paid Members

Chester's a funny club. They were getting bigger crowds at times last season than they used to get as a league club. Halifax should really have progressed out of Conf. North but blew the play-off semi at home to Gainsborough.

Watched the play-off finals this weekend. Crewe/Cheltenham was a good game. Crewe started brightly but struggled once they were one up. Didn't really seem to know what to do for the best. Eventually Cheltenham ran out of steam and Crewe clinched it. Decent football side Crewe, as always, but I'd be amazed if they can hold on Leitch-Smith while Powell will definitely go. Ashley Westwood is a cracking little schemer too and Byran Moore has plenty about him. I think they might struggle next season. Cheltenham have had a great season and shouldn't be too disheartened.

Hudds/Blunts was a terrible game. And for the first 8 pens, it was even an abysmal penalty shoot-out. It suddenly became phenomenal though. Sepp Blatter's right, penalties are cruel, cruel, cruel. Incredible drama though.

THIS IS THE END

Troubled Portsmouth are rapidly running out of money, which will leave no alternative but to liquidate the club. But the

situation is not helped by the stance of their best-paid player and a trio of former directors.

Administrators PKF are not allowed to run up fresh debt, so the tipping point will come when there is no more cash to keep relegated Pompey in daily business. The central payment from the Football League to a League One team is only in the region of

A wee bit of "gossip" for the Huddersfield fans (There's none, I know) My hairdresser also cuts the hair of some of the Northern Irish reserve Rangers players. He said that they said that he is definitely joining them. The McCoist - Lafferty fallout is supposedly so bad that there is no chance that they will make up. Nail biting stuff, I'm sure you'll not agree.

7 Subs are back.

Utterly ridiculous having that many subs lower down IMO. 5 is plenty sufficient. Heck, 3 was sufficient. Clearly though it's all down to tactics or some such gubbins ergo there must be all options available to a manager because they are inherently incapable of picking 5 subs inc GK who can do the job.

In an era of cost cutting, clubs having to pay more fees for being selected in the match day squad etc just seems completely daft

• Paid Members

It had to change back, it was a ludicrous decision to scrap it. Clubs have big enough squads. There's no reason why FL teams shouldn't have as many options from the bench as in other competitions.

It had to change back, it was a ludicrous decision to scrap it. Clubs have big enough squads. There's no reason why FL teams shouldn't have as many options from the bench as in other competitions.

Agree with Rick, it was stupid to get rid of it. Although at times some clubs will struggle to fill their benches due to injury/suspension, on the whole it gives more choice and might mean more chances for a youth player to get involved with the first team.

Also, from a completely selfish point of view, it's great it's back as it'll mean I'll be able to have seven subs again in Football Manager (before I get to the Premier League of course ;) ).

Naming fewer subs has generally happened when a club take a small travelling squad to an away game and had an injury or two in the warm-up.

And I said it before, changing the colours won't make any difference other than pissing off your core customers. Cardiff's main sporting organisations wear blue.

It does a bit but you still got to think of the benefits and the fact it's not too much of a major deal. It's not like they are relocating us outside of Cardiff or changing our kit to white (Swansea). Beggers can't be choosers and 2 years ago we were very close to administration.

Archived