The WWE Roster Cuts 2011

ThePhenom

I didn't say that though did I. My point was it was getting over, then they got him to stop doing it. At least it was something for him, rather than 'guy with no entrance gets beat by Sheamus' gimmick he had going on.

Again, I don't think anybody is making out he is Mr. Perfect. Just that he was under utilized for his skill set and that a solid hand like him should at least have a place on Raw or Smackdown.

You see, that last sentence I can agree with, but surely you read where people called him the second best babyface in wrestling, or one of the better pro wrestlers in the world, or a main event talent waiting to happen? That is hyperbole of the highest order.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
I didn't say that though did I. My point was it was getting over, then they got him to stop doing it. At least it was something for him, rather than 'guy with no entrance gets beat by Sheamus' gimmick he had going on.

Again, I don't think anybody is making out he is Mr. Perfect. Just that he was under utilized for his skill set and that a solid hand like him should at least have a place on Raw or Smackdown.

They're seriously overrating him. Comments like 'if there's a better babyface in the US currently not called Rey Mysterio then I'd like to know' are just ridiculous. As is calling his pec dance 'note perfect'.

Ultimately he was solid on the mic, decent in ring, they could have done more with him, but like many before him they didn't. He's no Orton, he' no Punk, he's no Cena. Heck, he's not even a Santino. He was a solid all-rounder that for one reason or another didn't get a shot in his second run. I suspect it was probably down to his dual wellness violations in his first run. At that point they showed a willingness to push him - but what would have happened had they pushed him again and he failed another test in run 2? Does that count as a 'third strike and you're out' or is the slate wiped clean?

I think those complications probably didn't help him.

• Paid Members

People are entitled to their opinion though. In my opinion the titty dance was note perfect, timing is everything and Masters was spot on.

To compare him to Punk/Cena/Orton/Santino is silly. He never got the chance any of those men do with his last run. If they gave him a chance, then fair enough, but all he had to do was a match on Superstars and he was an excellent babyface on those shows.

• Paid Members

When people say Chris Masters was one of the best babyfaces on the roster...we are not saying he was one of the most popular guys on the shows because thats clearly not true. BUT in terms of getting crowds who 5 minutes ago couldnt have given a shit into his matches, rallying behind him, fiery comebacks and popping huge for the finish the man was one of the best in WWE and all that stuff is what makes someone a top babyface wrestler.

He just never got a chance really, people are going overboard, but you never know he could have been the next Orton or a flop. He didn't get a chance to be either. He was on Superstars and he performed well there. I think its the same with a lot of talent tbh in this current wwe generation.

I still maintain if Ezekiel Jackson is Intercontinental Champion then Masters could easily have been at that level. Oh well. I hope TNA is on the horizon for him. He didn't go last time though so i don't know. Matt Morgan is apparently his mate and he came up with the Masterpeice gimmick so I hope he can put in a good word for Masters.

• Paid Members
When people say Chris Masters was one of the best babyfaces on the roster...we are not saying he was one of the most popular guys on the shows because thats clearly not true. BUT in terms of getting crowds who 5 minutes ago couldnt have given a shit into his matches, rallying behind him, fiery comebacks and popping huge for the finish the man was one of the best in WWE and all that stuff is what makes someone a top babyface wrestler.

Exactly this. He has gotten really fucking good, and if they'd given him even half a chance on the main TV shows, he'd have gotten him over, I have no doubt about that. I saw his matches on Superstars, and he knows how to work a match to get the crowd eating out of his hand. I don't think it's hyperbole to say, in-ring at least, he has main event talent.

Masters and Ryder were the highlights of Superstars each week for me (well, apart from Scott Stanford, he's a riot!), whereas a JTG or Divas match would just send me to sleep.

Guess we'll never find out which A-List star Stanford thought Masters was going out with now!

If Gail Kim does go back to TNA, they need to build a gimmick around her needing to re-build her reputation, have the likes of Angelina tell her about how good she was before she sold out, and now she's back to the bottom

Masters is solid and remembers to consistently sell body parts and does so pretty well but I think there's a lot of fapping going on here. I think the 'pCc' love anyone who's got a good body anyway or who they think exudes coolness. He could put on a solid if unspectacular straight forward match. From what I've seen, there's a 'come on!' to the crowd every 20 seconds when he's coming back it seems. I know the crowd would be more into him given a push so there'd be less need for him to do that but I'd like to think there's other ways of getting a crowd into a match other than that pandering. That stuff doesn't exactly reek main event. Though it'd have been nice for him to have had a push (as someone said on here, Jackson has the IC belt so why couldn't Masters be around that area?) they were always in a pickle because he's got two strikes against him and the third would mean he's out.

Masters is solid and remembers to consistently sell body parts and does so pretty well but I think there's a lot of fapping going on here. I think the 'pCc' love anyone who's got a good body anyway or who they think exudes coolness.

What are you on about?

Utter shite. You've obviously never seen him get the crowd eating out of his hand at a house show. Or at a taping, where even in a superstars/dark getting a huge reaction for his finish. If there's a better face in the US not called Rey Mysterio Jr I'd like to know who.

Ridiculous. Are you only basing that on his in-ring work? He can't cut a promo like, say, John Cena for a start.

• Paid Members

Has he ever been given the chance? Any promo I've seen him do he comes off alot better and more confident than people like Kofi Kingston, Alex Riley or Ezekial Jackson and he's a better wrestler than all 3 of them. But they are on TV every week and Masters is fired.

I'd happily have Masters in the midcard of one of the shows. But he was unlikely to get much of a push considering he was on two strikes. But saying he's the best face in the US bar Rey Mysterio is madness.

Whilst he's not had many opportunities recently, he's not exactly blown us away when he has had a chance. Again, solid enough but unspectacular. I appreciate his attention to detail but that all makes for him being 'solid'. Maybe he'll prove me wrong in another promotion, eh?

I'd put Cena and Orton well ahead of him for a start. And yes, I know all the reasons they're problematic babyfaces, but then they've got a lot of baggage that Masters hasn't. I'm sure he'd have his shit to deal with if he'd been pushed non-stop for the last five years, too. The fact Masters is even a contender for the top ten just shows how the shallow the talent pool of guys who actually "get" ring psychology is these days. I'd put Sting, Big Show, Undertaker, Daniel Bryan and both members of Beer Money ahead of him as well, just off the top of my head. CM Punk, Christian and Jeff Hardy too, by a safe margin, if you count guys not currently working face.

I've always liked Masters, and I think he should have been given another proper shot on the main shows before he was released, but any suggestion he was or could have been a top-level talent and one of the best face workers in the US on the basis of him getting the crowd into his random matches on Superstars are very, very hypothetical and speculative. For a start, I might be wrong on this, but I believe the Superstars matches are taped before the main shows? If so, Masters might have found it a lot harder to get the live crowds into his matches if he was in a prominent role on Raw and they'd already seen Mysterio, Cena, Kofi etc.

Why? I can't think of a more consistant performer.

I'd put Cena and Orton well ahead of him for a start. And yes, I know all the reasons they're problematic babyfaces, but then they've got a lot of baggage that Masters hasn't. I'm sure he'd have his shit to deal with if he'd been pushed non-stop for the last five years, too. The fact Masters is even a contender for the top ten just shows how the shallow the talent pool of guys who actually "get" ring psychology is these days. I'd put Sting, Big Show, Undertaker, Daniel Bryan and both members of Beer Money ahead of him as well, just off the top of my head. CM Punk, Christian and Jeff Hardy too, by a safe margin, if you count guys not currently working face.

I've always liked Masters, and I think he should have been given another proper shot on the main shows before he was released, but any suggestion he was or could have been a top-level talent and one of the best face workers in the US on the basis of him getting the crowd into his random matches on Superstars are very, very hypothetical and speculative. For a start, I might be wrong on this, but I believe the Superstars matches are taped before the main shows? If so, Masters might have found it a lot harder to get the live crowds into his matches if he was in a prominent role on Raw and they'd already seen Mysterio, Cena, Kofi etc.

That's why. Besides, being consistent isn't the one quality that determines a babyface. Lance Storm might have been a consistent performer but that wouldn't make him a top babyface.

Archived