2011/2012 Scottish Football Thread

David

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
I see James McCarthy was left out of the Republic of Ireland squad again. Wonder if he's regretting his decision to play for them now?

This does make me happy. Not only for picking Ireland but because he's apparently a legit dickhead, who has an agent of similar stature.

Morton 3-4 St. Mirren

Pretty good game of football here. St. Mirren looked a decent unit but they weren't the free passing side that they were in the Renfrewshire Cup game. That might have had something to do with the constant pressure we were putting on them. We ended up going in at half time 2-1 up, thanks to a lovely finish from Peter McDonald. We didn't pressure in the second half though and we have St. Mirren far too much space and they wound up scoring three goals and it seemed to be as easy as piss for them. We got one back through Andy Jackson and then pressured but it was too little, too late. A cracking cup tie though, a good crowd with an electric atmosphere. Enjoyed it.

Motherwell have Omar Daley on trial - left Bradford at the end of last season - shocking decision. he's been our best player for years, capable of magic, very exciting player. and posesses lightning pace. I'd take him back in an instant.

he'd trouble defences up there no danger. could be another very shrewd move from McCall.

now if he wants James Hanson too I'll drive him up myself!

Motherwell have Omar Daley on trial - left Bradford at the end of last season - shocking decision. he's been our best player for years, capable of magic, very exciting player. and posesses lightning pace. I'd take him back in an instant.

he'd trouble defences up there no danger. could be another very shrewd move from McCall.

He'd been mentioned for us a few times before, and the general consensus was always that a team in England with more cash would snap him up.

Hopefully he signs on.

Morton 3-4 St. Mirren

Pretty good game of football here. St. Mirren looked a decent unit but they weren't the free passing side that they were in the Renfrewshire Cup game. That might have had something to do with the constant pressure we were putting on them. We ended up going in at half time 2-1 up, thanks to a lovely finish from Peter McDonald. We didn't pressure in the second half though and we have St. Mirren far too much space and they wound up scoring three goals and it seemed to be as easy as piss for them. We got one back through Andy Jackson and then pressured but it was too little, too late. A cracking cup tie though, a good crowd with an electric atmosphere. Enjoyed it.

How's Darren McGeouch getting on? Really, really bang on guy. Spoke to him for my work earlier this season and he's a really nice guy without a bad word for anyone.

A much better passer of the ball than the last time he was here. Can really ping the ball about with great ease, and he looks pretty assured in the middle of the park. I think a centre midfield pairing of Bachirou/Tidser and McGeouch would be better than a pairing of Tidser and Bachirou because the two of them are too similar and one of them always winds up being a passenger. Whereas when McGeouch comes in, Tidser/Bachirou tends to be the guy that digs in and hassles the other side while McGeouch pings the ball about with ease. We did that against Raith and controlled much of the game. Not sure what one of Tidser or Bachirou I'd have alongside him, because Tidser is just incredible when he plays that role. Bachirou is just gifted full stop.

Why aren't Celtic putting in a complaint to UEFA about Jose Conclaves playing for Sion when he was ineligible?

Celtic don't need to. FIFA and UEFA are already dealing with it. There are six of them not just Gonclaves who are meant to be ineligible. They said before the first game a decision will not be made till after the tie.

I think they were hoping they got knocked out so it wouldn't matter and would just be a Swiss FA problem. Interesting to see what happens if they do win.

A much better passer of the ball than the last time he was here. Can really ping the ball about with great ease, and he looks pretty assured in the middle of the park. I think a centre midfield pairing of Bachirou/Tidser and McGeouch would be better than a pairing of Tidser and Bachirou because the two of them are too similar and one of them always winds up being a passenger. Whereas when McGeouch comes in, Tidser/Bachirou tends to be the guy that digs in and hassles the other side while McGeouch pings the ball about with ease. We did that against Raith and controlled much of the game. Not sure what one of Tidser or Bachirou I'd have alongside him, because Tidser is just incredible when he plays that role. Bachirou is just gifted full stop.

That's good to hear. Really hope it works out for the boy.

The Scotland squad for the qualifiers against the Czech Republic & Lithuania;

Goalkeepers: Matt Gilks (Blackpool), Allan McGregor (Rangers), Iain Turner (Preston North End).

Defenders: Phil Bardsley (Sunderland), Christophe Berra (Wolverhampton Wanderers), Gary Caldwell (Wigan Athletic), Stephen Crainey (Blackpool), Grant Hanley (Blackburn Rovers), Alan Hutton (Tottenham Hotspur), Steven Whittaker (Rangers), Danny Wilson (Liverpool).

Midfielders: Charlie Adam (Liverpool), Barry Bannan (Aston Villa), Scott Brown (Celtic), Don Cowie (Cardiff City), Graham Dorrans (West Bromwich Albion), Darren Fletcher (Manchester United), James Forrest (Celtic), James Morrison (West Bromwich Albion), Barry Robson (Middlesbrough), Robert Snodgrass (Leeds United).

Forwards: David Goodwillie (Blackburn Rovers), Craig Mackail-Smith (Brighton and Hove Albion), Kenny Miller (Cardiff City), Steven Naismith (Rangers)

Not a bad squad, and I've read that Naismith should be fit to play on Saturday.

The defence looks shifty as fuck no matter what combination of those players you put in there. The midfield and attack looks quite good.

In all fairness, Bardsley is a pretty good player and was Sunderland's player of the season last year. Hutton's decent and we all know what he can do, it's just a question of who he puts in at centreback for me. Caldwell seems to have improved but in my head he's still the nutcase, but I suppose at least he and Berra are playing Premier League football, as is Hanley. Our midfield, as it stands, is actually pretty fantastic but it's the attack I worry about in truth - Miller we know can score but doesn't always do it at international level, Naismith is injured, Mackail-Smith has only played about two minutes of international football and Goodwillie's only just moved to Blackburn.

My main feeling is that it's a squad that would look far, far more comfortable with Steven Fletcher in it.

Archived