2011/2012 Scottish Football Thread

David

Coleraine beat St Mirren's under-19 team 3-0. Easy, easy victory. Hard to say if it was an impressive showing or whether the gulf in class was too big.

Stranraer 1-1 Glenavon, through 3-0 on pens. David Mitchell played a blinder in goals and saved all three pens, all on target. Good game, roll on tomorrow.

I've been reliably informed that St Mirren u19s are rubbish. I think they lost heavily to Irvine Meadow in a pre-season friendly a couple of years ago. They are playing St Mirren u19s again in a tournament this weekend, along with Clydebank & Kilmarnock (u19s also I assume).

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've been reliably informed that St Mirren u19s are rubbish. I think they lost heavily to Irvine Meadow in a pre-season friendly a couple of years ago. They are playing St Mirren u19s again in a tournament this weekend, along with Clydebank & Kilmarnock (u19s also I assume).

In all honesty, rubbish is being kind. To be fair, they improved on the second day but I watched Killie's younger team against Threave earlier that week and it was night and day. Killie played about half a dozen trialists and looked good. Obviously with all due respect Coleraine and Glenavon are several steps above Threave but St Mirren looked really below any team at the weekend.

Stranraer beat Coleraine on penalties as well in the final. Great display from Ryan Marshall in goals as well.

What's the general opinion of the all-new SFA professional game board? A move in the right direction? Or is it, as I believe, simply the same old faces on another useless committee?

Celtic chief executive Peter Lawwell has accepted a place on the Scottish Football Association's new professional game board.

Celtic and the SFA clashed on numerous occasions last season.

But Lawwell was named in the 10-man group, which will be chaired by Hibernian chairman Rod Petrie, a vice-president of the SFA.

The new structure was designed to ensure relevant members rule over the professional game in Scotland.

A separate board will administrate the non-professional game.

Alan McRae, Cove Rangers president and SFA first vice-president, appears on both boards while Highland League honorary president Sandy Stables also features on the professional board, along with the chief executives of all three governing bodies - Stewart Regan, Neil Doncaster and David Longmuir.

The professional board also features SFA president Campbell Ogilvie, Scottish Premier League chairman Ralph Topping and Scottish Football League president Jim Ballantyne, who is chairman of Airdrie.

McRae will chair the non-professional board, which also features Ogilvie, Petrie, Regan and representatives from schools, amateur, senior, youth, women's and junior football.

Last season, referee Dougie McDonald stood down after pressure from Celtic for misleading manager Neil Lennon over his reasons for withdrawing a penalty award.

Celtic and the SFA then became embroiled in legal disputes over disciplinary procedures after Lennon was handed two touchline bans.

But Celtic backed Regan's reforms, which were unanimously approved at the June AGM, and Lawwell aims to help the governing body move forward.

A Celtic statement read: "It is well known that following events last year, Celtic called for a fundamental review of the processes and procedures within the SFA.

"We fully supported Stewart Regan's plan for reform and we feel that the creation of this new board is a very positive outcome of the SFA's own review.

"Peter Lawwell, on behalf of Celtic Football Club, will be pleased to accept this invitation to join the professional game board.

"He will aim to make an important contribution to the continued change and improvement of the game in Scotland."

• Paid Members
Celtic had a 2M bid knocked back last summer for Wallace. He's better than papac, younger and more attack minded. Winning situation for me.

Apparently we've had a 450k bid for Murray davidson accepted as well.

What about Cuellar? Is that still on?

What about Cuellar? Is that still on?

Apparently the only thing that's holding it back is that he's trying to negotiate a pay off from Villa. But, tbh I'm immune to these drawn out transfer sagas now. So until he is posing for the press in a Rangers top or officially signs with Villa or another club I'm taking no interest.

• Paid Members
Celtic had a 2M bid knocked back last summer for Wallace. He's better than papac, younger and more attack minded. Winning situation for me.

Apparently we've had a 450k bid for Murray davidson accepted as well.

Seems strange that Rangers are now willing to pay 5 times their original valuation of Wallace though.

Scottish champions Rangers have announced that they have agreed terms with American international Alejandro Bedoya.

The 24-year-old midfielder is currently with Swedish club Orebro - but they have shunned Rangers' bids for the player.

However, his contract is due to expire later this year and so Rangers have now agreed a per-contract with the player - subject to a work-permit.

Archived