2011/2012 Scottish Football Thread

David

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
The media & footballing personalities are quick to tell us that we simply can't exist without Celtic & Rangers in the SPL. What if the Rangers team is so ravaged that they finish outside the top six next season? What then? Sky will be robbed of one of their supposed guaranteed old firm games.

What if the worst happens and Rangers finish bottom of the league? Can they be relegated? What will Sky or ESPN say about that?

Personally speaking, I've put my season ticket renewal forms in a drawer for now. If a Rangers NEWCO walks straight back into the SPL I'm finished with SPL football, simple as that.

To be honest, I'm actually starting to favour Rangers going down to the Third.

It's an entirely selfish idea but it probably would be better for the Club to go down and give our youth players a few years of experience working our way back to the SPL, rather than just throwing them right in the deep end next season.

If we do it properly (key word being "If") and keep the focus on finding and developing good young players and not trying to buy our way back to the SPL, we should have a healthy bank balance and decent squad by the time we got back up again.

It won't happen though. The SPL Chairmen aren't going to risk voting themselves into Administration over the possibility of a fan boycott that probably won't last past our first 9-0 defeat anyway.

A couple of interesting articles on the Rangers situation. First from Channel 4 reporter Alex Thomson;

So now the dust has slightly settled and we are on the eve of another Scottish Premier League vote (barring another postponement), let us strip away all the froth and hype and see where we really are.

On Thursday, Ibrox was a deeply bizarre place. Over the phone Rangers tried to make out their

The media & footballing personalities are quick to tell us that we simply can't exist without Celtic & Rangers in the SPL. What if the Rangers team is so ravaged that they finish outside the top six next season? What then? Sky will be robbed of one of their supposed guaranteed old firm games.

What if the worst happens and Rangers finish bottom of the league? Can they be relegated? What will Sky or ESPN say about that?

Personally speaking, I've put my season ticket renewal forms in a drawer for now. If a Rangers NEWCO walks straight back into the SPL I'm finished with SPL football, simple as that.

It's an entirely selfish idea but it probably would be better for the Club to go down and give our youth players a few years of experience working our way back to the SPL, rather than just throwing them right in the deep end next season.

If we do it properly (key word being "If") and keep the focus on finding and developing good young players and not trying to buy our way back to the SPL, we should have a healthy bank balance and decent squad by the time we got back up again.

It won't happen though. The SPL Chairmen aren't going to risk voting themselves into Administration over the possibility of a fan boycott that probably won't last past our first 9-0 defeat anyway.

Aye I would happily take going to the 3rd division now as well - I don't think I fancy being stabbed in the back with one hand by these clubs chairmen, while they hold out the begging bowl with the other. We will basically be existing as nothing but a pay cheque for dickheads like Thompson for a few years anyway - not for me, sorry.

I think the Aberdeen fans must have already started their 'boycott' already by the way - they had about 7 fans at Kilmarnock on Saturday.

Another interesting point is that we're hearing non-stop from our media that if Rangers are lost to the SPL we'll be doomed, with no television deal and so forth. Funnily enough, not even four years ago we were hearing exactly the opposite from no less than Sir Walter himself;

It is usually endemic of a period when nothing else is happening

• Paid Members

Aye I would happily take going to the 3rd division now as well - I don't think I fancy being stabbed in the back with one hand by these clubs chairmen, while they hold out the begging bowl with the other. We will basically be existing as nothing but a pay cheque for dickheads like Thompson for a few years anyway - not for me, sorry.

I think the Aberdeen fans must have already started their 'boycott' already by the way - they had about 7 fans at Kilmarnock on Saturday.

A boycott against a shite team and senile cunt of a manager.

...and it was 178 actually. :p

One of our younger players has been leaking info about possible releases at Morton. These include Mark Smyth, Grant Evans, Colin Stewart, Paul Di Giacamo and Ross Forsyth, with more coming later.Fucking hell. Grant Evans and Mark Smyth are not bad defenders at all.

Archived