Goldberg + TNA = ?

Merzbow

As much as I like Goldberg TNA doesn't need people like him on its roster, the company already has RVD who is blatantly only out there to cash cheques so the last thing they need right now is to pay Goldberg a truckload of money to phone in his matches and then leave as soon as he's asked to do something he doesn't like. I believe that the only wrestling personality who could affect TNA's ratings in any noticeable way in 2011 would be The Rock.

• Paid Members
Whatever they did, I'd bet they couldn't use him any less effectively than the WWE did.

Oh, they easily could. This is TNA we're talking about here. They couldn't book Hitler as a heel.

But if they did book Hitler as a heel wouldn't Goldberg be a great face for that feud?

He would, but knowing Russo, they'd end up having Goldberg heel and Hitler face.

After a swerve

The match would be terrible, Hitler would gas really quickly.

I believe that the only wrestling personality who could affect TNA's ratings in any noticeable way in 2011 would be The Rock.

What about Cena? You don't think such a move can do anything for TNA's ratings? :confused:

Nope. John Cena doesn't have a fraction of the drawing power that The Rock has, Cena may be a big name in the wrestling industry but Rocky is a household name, even people who detest wrestling know who The Rock is. Besides, John Cena is almost certainly tied in to a lengthy contract with the WWE and I get the feeling that, like Undertaker, he'll work for the McMahon's until the day he retires. Rocky on the other hand is big enough to do whatever he likes, if Dixie Carter turned up outside Rocks mansion with a truck filled with cash in exchange for a few TV appearances, a couple of autograph signings and perhaps a PPV match I imagine he'd probably go for it.

I believe that the only wrestling personality who could affect TNA's ratings in any noticeable way in 2011 would be The Rock.

What about Cena? You don't think such a move can do anything for TNA's ratings? :confused:

Nope. John Cena doesn't have a fraction of the drawing power that The Rock has

if Dixie Carter turned up outside Rocks mansion with a truck filled with cash in exchange for a few TV appearances, a couple of autograph signings and perhaps a PPV match I imagine he'd probably go for it.

Disagree fully with both of your theories there.

• Paid Members

Nope. John Cena doesn't have a fraction of the drawing power that The Rock has, Cena may be a big name in the wrestling industry but Rocky is a household name, even people who detest wrestling know who The Rock is. Besides, John Cena is almost certainly tied in to a lengthy contract with the WWE and I get the feeling that, like Undertaker, he'll work for the McMahon's until the day he retires. Rocky on the other hand is big enough to do whatever he likes, if Dixie Carter turned up outside Rocks mansion with a truck filled with cash in exchange for a few TV appearances, a couple of autograph signings and perhaps a PPV match I imagine he'd probably go for it.

TNA managed to get Jeff Hardy and HULK HOGAN and it did nothing, long term. TNA can bring back Jesus (no not Cenas mate) but the booking will make sure he's 'just another guy' in a few weeks.

There is a chance TNA may be off the air in a few months, so I hope they go out in a blaze of Goldberg glory.

TNA managed to get Jeff Hardy and HULK HOGAN and it did nothing, long term. TNA can bring back Jesus (no not Cenas mate) but the booking will make sure he's 'just another guy' in a few weeks.

Jeff Hardy is a nobody outside of wrestling and aside from that reality TV show Hulk Hogan hasn't really done anything lately. You've got to think outside of wrestling, when Rocky does something the news, entertainment and celebrity industries are right there behind him, if TNA advertised that The Rock was going to appear on Impact people would watch it just to see what he'd do. Booking doesn't come into the equation because it's the fucking Rock for Christ's sake! You think he'd bother to turn up if he knew they were going to make him look like a total idiot?

There is a chance TNA may be off the air in a few months, so I hope they go out in a blaze of Goldberg glory.

You want the WWE to be the only game in town again? Because I sure as Hell don't. TNA may have problems but at least there's the option to watch something else. Last weeks Impact had a few good things, last weeks Raw and Smackdown were total shit.

• Paid Members

Jeff Hardy is a nobody outside of wrestling and aside from that reality TV show Hulk Hogan hasn't really done anything lately. You've got to think outside of wrestling, when Rocky does something the news, entertainment and celebrity industries are right there behind him, if TNA advertised that The Rock was going to appear on Impact people would watch it just to see what he'd do. Booking doesn't come into the equation because it's the fucking Rock for Christ's sake! You think he'd bother to turn up if he knew they were going to make him look like a total idiot?

I was backing up your point that Cena will mean nothing to TNA because of the way it's run, fella. They've got the biggest wrestling attraction of all-time and (when he signed) the hottest babyface in wrestling. Long term, both have done little to boost TNA.

You want the WWE to be the only game in town again? Because I sure as Hell don't. TNA may have problems but at least there's the option to watch something else. Last weeks Impact had a few good things, last weeks Raw and Smackdown were total shit.

Erm, that wasn't what I was getting at. You maybe haven't heard the story so...

UFC is talking to other networks about taking its Spike programming elsewhere, and Spike recently hired a new VP to re brand the channel and move it away from all the 'lad' programs it airs. If Spike loses UFC there is a chance they'll through in the towel with TNA and aim for a completely different audience. So in a year or so TNA may have no channel in the US.

I was backing up your point that Cena will mean nothing to TNA because of the way it's run, fella. They've got the biggest wrestling attraction of all-time and (when he signed) the hottest babyface in wrestling. Long term, both have done little to boost TNA.

UFC is talking to other networks about taking its Spike programming elsewhere, and Spike recently hired a new VP to re brand the channel and move it away from all the 'lad' programs it airs. If Spike loses UFC there is a chance they'll through in the towel with TNA and aim for a completely different audience. So in a year or so TNA may have no channel in the US.

TNA still draws 1.1ish right? Isn't that better than most other channels programs get? Plus they have worldwide TV deals so it won't just fold.

Nope. John Cena doesn't have a fraction of the drawing power that The Rock has

if Dixie Carter turned up outside Rocks mansion with a truck filled with cash in exchange for a few TV appearances, a couple of autograph signings and perhaps a PPV match I imagine he'd probably go for it.

Disagree fully with both of your theories there.

Yeah women can't drive trucks . . .

• Paid Members

TNA still draws 1.1ish right? Isn't that better than most other channels programs get? Plus they have worldwide TV deals so it won't just fold.

It's all just speculation, of course. But Spike have pumped a good amount of money into TNA, hoping the company will grow but they've had probably a .2 increase for all their effort and money.

Also TNA is bleeding money even with a good deal with Spike, so no US TV deal means even less income. Maybe the Carters will decide that they've had enough and will fold it.

WCW couldn't get a TV deal with a regular 2.0+ rating, bigger stars and a long history of producing TV and ratings.

I think a channel would pick up Impact sharpish, but it would probably be a smaller channel, and they'd have less money to play with (could actually be a good thing)

I think a channel would pick up Impact sharpish, but it would probably be a smaller channel, and they'd have less money to play with (could actually be a good thing)

Goldberg is way more of a star to casual fans than Kurt Angle is, particularly in the US and particularly in the South.

If they hyped it right, set a date, ran ads and built up to the moment and it was actually live, it could be good for them.

It's all just speculation, of course. But Spike have pumped a good amount of money into TNA, hoping the company will grow but they've had probably a .2 increase for all their effort and money.

Also TNA is bleeding money even with a good deal with Spike, so no US TV deal means even less income. Maybe the Carters will decide that they've had enough and will fold it.

WCW couldn't get a TV deal with a regular 2.0+ rating, bigger stars and a long history of producing TV and ratings.

Spike are apparently interested in Bellator FC, if the UFC walks, so they are'nt exactly getting away from the lads channel thing. I think they would keep TNA, they could probably just tell them to fully change the name to Impact Wrestling and maybe promote the girls as less eye candy if they are planning on becoming a channel geared at everyone like USA Network.

Archived