WWE RAW 9/5 discussion thread

Ron Simmons

Yeah, Dolph Ziggler looks stupidly bland.

I like Del Rio but his promos are pretty boring. WWE need to go all the way with him and put him in more interesting scenarios because that's the part that's letting him down. He's good enough on a promo but not hitting the next level. He's got the look, he's a good wrestler and his character is believable but his promos are missing something.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
When I have time, I'll come back and tell you why you are all wrong. But, for now, make do with the fact that I thought that was a very good, well paced episode of wrestling television as good as anything you can realistically expect from a non-special attraction episode of Raw in 2011.

R-Truth is incredible at the minute.

Also, it's harsh complaining about ADR/Mysterio feuding again this week, as they've clearly changed course and are going to go with Mysterio/Truth.

I must say, I'm with you on this. I really really enjoyed it and I thought the in-ring action was of a really good standard. In general it felt pretty fresh too with Miz once again putting in a stellar performance and raising his stock again. Mysterio put a pretty cool dynamic into the main event and he's a good choice for R-Truth to feud with considering how much of a cemented star he is. The interactions between Mysterio and Del Rio seemed more indicative of keeping up the continuity of those two guys really disliking each other as opposed to launching them into another feud between themselves.

I would have normally been possibly a little critical of Miz winning thanks to Riley but it fitted really well into the night-long theme of Riley trying to make up for the previous weeks blunder. If they wanted to put a bit more fire under the Truth character by not having him take part in the next PPV then I was thinking that maybe Riley v Mysterio would be pretty fun for the PPV based upon Riley costing Rey the match; and of course, the feud with Truth could continue building until they finally fight at the following months PPV. I feel pretty confident that at SummerSlam it will be Del Rio v Cena and then after that we'll see Truth battle it out with Cena, so they'll need to keep him busy.

Also, by the time SummerSlam finally comes along I can see the growing friction we've seen implied between Miz and Riley will have exploded and kick-started a feud between the two, with Riley breaking away from the shackles of Miz to become a blue-chipper face. Miz would of course win that but it keeps Miz fresh for the next few months too before they possibly experiment with a face run for him.

This was the first Raw I've watched in a few weeks and I really enjoyed it.

I think that there are too many people giving the Cole/Lawler feud unnecessary flack. The blur that they're drawing between real life and fiction is unbelievable. Michael Cole is still dynamite in his role and Lawler's facial mannerisms alone are enough to make you believe that he truly hates Cole. If two active wrestlers were feuding with this level of realism then it'd have mega money written all over it. Brilliant stuff.

The Miz is pure gold, the best thing in wrestling today. Since seeing that "Hate Me" video package at Mania I have been in love with The Miz' character. If he manages to stay injury free and is booked correctly, I have little doubt that he is the next bona fide star within the next few years.

It's no secret that I'm a massive mark for Del Rio but it pains me to admit that he's lost a hell of a lot of sizzle since his loss to Edge at Mania. He peaked during that match and I just hope that he can get back on track sooner rather than later. Had he beaten Edge there following his Rumble win and the momentum he had behind him, I'm sure that there would be no question that he'd have been a huge success heading into the summer and it would have truly made him there and then.

I'm looking forward to seeing what unfolds with Ryan. WWE really needs a new Goldberg, Lesnar, Batista-type monster. I'm not sure that Ryan will make it to their levels but the killer-monster character is one of the easiest to book at its core so I'm hoping that he can make it in that role.

R-Truth is superb in this role. He's already the main event comedy character Booker T never was.

Surprised no one has mentioned Nunzio being back as a referee (he'd been reffing house shows previously).

Speaking of referees, Lawler actually referred to Mike Chioda by his name which has been a no-no for announcers for a while now. He also called one of the titles a "belt", before quickly saying "championship" straight afterwards.

Surprised no one has mentioned Nunzio being back as a referee (he'd been reffing house shows previously).

Speaking of referees, Lawler actually referred to Mike Chioda by his name which has been a no-no for announcers for a while now. He also called one of the titles a "belt", before quickly saying "championship" straight afterwards.

...and he used a tie as a deadly weapon.

Talk about having 9 lives (*insert The Kat pun here*) in WWE.

...and he used a tie as a deadly weapon.

Talk about having 9 lives (*insert The Kat pun here*) in WWE.

In all fairness, he didn't choke him with the tie like Daniel Bryan did. Bryan must have been feline quite stupid for getting sacked for such a crime.

• Awards Moderator

He's made it to TV? Good news! I posted in 'Comments that don't warrant...' just a few days ago wondering if he'd be put on TV rather than just live events.

I hope he develops a bias towards Santino and any wrestlers of Italian descent.

He's made it to TV? Good news! I posted in 'Comments that don't warrant...' just a few days ago wondering if he'd be put on TV rather than just live events.

I hope he develops a bias towards Santino and any wrestlers of Italian descent.

Yeah, he reffed the Diva's tag match.

• Paid Members

As noted last week, the draft was again rendered a little redundant last night with steaming piles of interaction between guys that have been banging heads for ages. Cena/Miz to continue might have been expected, but it really does feel like Mysterio and Del Rio will simply wrestle each other every week in some fashion until both are in the ground. Plus, I really could have done without Kofi wrestling Swagger again, prior to Jackie boy turning up on Raw as Cole's coach, whenever my mate used to ask me at work if I'd read the SmackDown spoilers, I used to joke "did Kofi wrestle Swagger?" and be surprised (or not, as the case may be) how often the answer was yes. The Cole/Lawler interaction broken up by Swagger also felt like a repeat.

The encouraging signs were at least that the Miz got to share the ring with the two switchers from SmackDown. Although we had already seen that at Bragging Rights, it still felt somewhat fresh as Miz hasnt wrestled each of them to the point of boredom. Mysterio vs a heel Truth should also be interesting, as is Truth's character in general. He is one of the few at the moment that I tune in to see what he's going to do, like the good old days. Also, I really like the sudden nature of Paydirt (as it was called when Shelton did it) and I always have felt with the right person using it, it could get over like the Diamond Cutter did. Not sure Truth is thatguy, but its a cool move nonetheless.

It was also interesting to see Kharma attack Eve when previously she only attacked heels. I kind of thought that was what they were going for - karma, after all. Maybe next week we'll find out Eve steals Cadburys buttons from small children.

Anyone else think Cena sounded like a simpleton by saying there would be no submissions in the title match... before declaring it would be an I Quit match? I'll pre-empt anyone who replies saying "but submitting is different from saying I Quit" by responding now - you're a simpleton too.

Decent action, not hugely interesting as a whole.

It was also interesting to see Kharma attack Eve when previously she only attacked heels. I kind of thought that was what they were going for - karma, after all. Maybe next week we'll find out Eve steals Cadburys buttons from small children.

I've been assuming from the start that Kharma will go after all the Divas, although it seems Kelly Kelly is a specific target.

I hope they dont have Beth come out as the 'saviour of the Diva's' just yet. Beth/Kharma is their biggest [potential] drawing womens feud at the moment, but they need to have it on the back burner and book Eve/Kharma and Kelly/Kharma first in my opinion.

• Paid Members
I've been assuming from the start that Kharma will go after all the Divas, although it seems Kelly Kelly is a specific target.

Kelly's gotten away twice so far hasn't she... is this a "playing with your food" type deal?

I didn't think that raw was that bad. The opening segment was not as bad as people make it out to be, Maybe its just me but I liked seeing Rey, Del Rio, Truth and Miz in there arguing over the title it made a change form seeing Cena, Orton, HHH and you can add 1 more other person that we have already seen in the main event picture. Granted sometimes Truth loses me with his weird comedy bits in his promo but "hey" its work in progress.

FINALLY some divas actually ran from Kharma rather then just stand there looking stupid. And Kharma has now attacked a babyface diva so now its going to be interesting to se where they go with her next. The whole nexus thing is going to be weird untill Punk and Vince can come to some sort of agreement regarding Punks contract.

As for Dolph Ziggler the hair change is a GOOD thing for him. He may look like everyone else or a Randy Orton rip off but at the end of the day his bleach blonde look didn't scream main eventer. The way he looks now is a TOP GUY look along with the new found aggression they have given him. We all KNOW that the E is shit scared of trying something new and pushing Dolph as a bleach blonde kick arse might of worked, But they are going to go with what HAS worked in the past ie the Randy Orton look. Who gives a F what he looks like as long as he is on a winning path, Which he is.

Lets just hope that that backstage segment with Cena doing the fist pump with Ryder is some sort of personal endorsement from Cena so we might see Ryder on raw soon fingers crossed :thumbsup: Cole and Lawler at over the limit is going to be a great payoff. The moment Cole started to talk about mothers day I knew they was building to the ppv. With it being called over the limit and the aamount of $h!t that Cole has put Lawler through we might actually see the piledriver finish that is warrented for this feud.

And that triple threat match was probably the best triple threat since Cena, HHH, and Edge from back in 06.

Archived