WWE RAW 9/5 discussion thread

Ron Simmons

• Paid Members

So, has anyone watched the show yet?

I found it hugely underwhelming. It felt like watching a repeat. Rey Mysterio/Alberto feuding AGAIN. The Miz/John Cena AGAIN. Lawler/Cole AGAIN.

I just found the whole show really boring.

From a positive perspective I'm enjoying the evolution of R-Truth's character, I think he needs a bit of an edge though, it feels like it's coming every time he speaks but obviously he has to watch what he says since it's a PG show. Had he brutally beat down Scott Stanford, or been increasingly threatening towards him that might have given him the extra touch that would have pushed his character that little bit further. Still, he's the best thing going on RAW and I genuinely hope he's the one who eventually takes the WWE title from Cena. Obviously they need to build him up a little, but at this stage the idea of R-Truth as Champ on RAW feels much more exciting for me than Alberto, Miz or even CM Punk right now. He feels pretty unpredictable every time he gets the mic, and I like that.

As for Punk, the Nexus were made to look pretty pointless once again. Mason Ryan's pretty ridiculous, his facial expressions are so over the top that he just comes across as a parody of an 80s wrestler. He actually does look as though he's got athletic ability and maybe could be OK if he could tone it down a bit.

And I still don't "get" Del Rio. He's a pretty bland heel in my opinion. He's not bad on the mic, but I don't really find anything he says entertaining. Maybe I'm in a minority here, but I find his character really, really boring. On a brand where there's Miz, Punk, R-Truth and Jack Swagger, I really don't care for him as a top heel.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So, has anyone watched the show yet?

I found it hugely underwhelming. It felt like watching a repeat. Rey Mysterio/Alberto feuding AGAIN. The Miz/John Cena AGAIN. Lawler/Cole AGAIN.

I just found the whole show really boring.

From a positive perspective I'm enjoying the evolution of R-Truth's character, I think he needs a bit of an edge though, it feels like it's coming every time he speaks but obviously he has to watch what he says since it's a PG show. Had he brutally beat down Scott Stanford, or been increasingly threatening towards him that might have given him the extra touch that would have pushed his character that little bit further. Still, he's the best thing going on RAW and I genuinely hope he's the one who eventually takes the WWE title from Cena. Obviously they need to build him up a little, but at this stage the idea of R-Truth as Champ on RAW feels much more exciting for me than Alberto, Miz or even CM Punk right now. He feels pretty unpredictable every time he gets the mic, and I like that.

As for Punk, the Nexus were made to look pretty pointless once again. Mason Ryan's pretty ridiculous, his facial expressions are so over the top that he just comes across as a parody of an 80s wrestler. He actually does look as though he's got athletic ability and maybe could be OK if he could tone it down a bit.

And I still don't "get" Del Rio. He's a pretty bland heel in my opinion. He's not bad on the mic, but I don't really find anything he says entertaining. Maybe I'm in a minority here, but I find his character really, really boring. On a brand where there's Miz, Punk, R-Truth and Jack Swagger, I really don't care for him as a top heel.

I'm with you on Del Rio, I've never "got" him either, he just bores me.

How crap was that? The whole thing was just awful. I don't really think I need to go into much details if you watched it, but I have no interest what so ever in the Michael Cole/Jerry Lawler feud in May, that has been going on since November. I also have no interest what so ever in John Cena as WWE Champion doing the same thing over and over again, that he has been doing for 6 years. There was a real improvement with Raw over the last couple of months as well, but it seems to have turned into the same stale and boring show that it was up until The Miz won the title. That opening segment with Miz/Alberto/Mysterio was appalling, as was the Alex Riley stuff. When are they gonna stop doing the same "safe" show, and start doing something new again? Orton's the champ on Smackdown again as well, I've seen it all before and I don't like it.

I love ADR, but, he's just gonna get boring, unless they pull the trigger on him. Winning the title was "his destiny", and, by now, with the rumble win, and the big build up he's getting, he's not getting any chance to capitalise on the push and the strength that they've given him. Hence why I think ADR will slip fairly quickly. The title should have been his by now, to give him that rub, so that he could continue the "I told you it was going to happen" obnoxious heel style, but, at the minute, due to WWE's inability to give titles to people other than Orton or Cena, he's slipping. This makes me sad. The trigger should have been pulled ages ago, then Bertie might have been a much more viable contendor.

BTW, Have hey explained why Reily was drafted to SD, but still appears on RAW? I aint watched it yet.

He's on Raw because he's still under a personal services contract to Miz. That's how they explained it.

I thought Raw was OK, nothing groundbreaking. Coles face during the tie pulling was awesome but in some ways it turned the segment into a comedy spot. Hopefully we're a Piledriver away at Over the Limit from this being over.

R-Truth is awesome these days but he really needs to drop the joking around during his interviews and promos. The pretend talking to 'little Jimmy' doesn't make him seen like a main player at all, quite the opposite.

• Paid Members
BTW, Have hey explained why Reily was drafted to SD, but still appears on RAW? I aint watched it yet.

The Miz has him under a "personal service" contract, so he goes where The Miz wants him to go. They have explained it the past couple of weeks.

I enjoyed RAW, personally. The opening segment was pretty good and confirmed two things, Del Rio looks and acts like a megastar and R-Truth is the best thing on any brand.

Other highlights included the awesome video package of Christian losing the World title. It was excellent in focusing on the story of Christian working so hard only to see his dream slip away in a few days. I can totally see Christian turning on the fans and Teddy Long for choosing Randy Orton (even if it's quite similar to the reason R-Truth turned heel).

Michael Cole and Jerry Lawler tried their hardest to squeeze some interest out of their feud that peaked at Wrestlemania. They did a decent job and Michael Cole getting his face smashed into the Colemine is always brilliant.

It looks like Vince has a hard on for the current R-Truth character. He had a shit load of air time last night (he exceled, again) and was the closing image. Truth is awesome on the mic but I worry it will all go to crap when he enters the ring and does his lame fake looking offense (I think this is one of the reasons WWE haven't had him wrestle since his turn), hopefully I'm wrong though.

John Cena fist pumping with Zack Ryder was funny and odd.

loved ricardos reaction to rey saying he should be the star

his dropkick on reilly was sweet as well other that meh show

although loved the Ryder cameo

cant see what they will do with del rio apart from a feud with kofi for the us title

• Paid Members

The Miz has him under a "personal service" contract, so he goes where The Miz wants him to go. They have explained it the past couple of weeks.

I enjoyed RAW, personally. The opening segment was pretty good and confirmed two things, Del Rio looks and acts like a megastar and R-Truth is the best thing on any brand.

Other highlights included the awesome video package of Christian losing the World title. It was excellent in focusing on the story of Christian working so hard only to see his dream slip away in a few days. I can totally see Christian turning on the fans and Teddy Long for choosing Randy Orton (even if it's quite similar to the reason R-Truth turned heel).

Michael Cole and Jerry Lawler tried their hardest to squeeze some interest out of their feud that peaked at Wrestlemania. They did a decent job and Michael Cole getting his face smashed into the Colemine is always brilliant.

It looks like Vince has a hard on for the current R-Truth character. He had a shit load of air time last night (he exceled, again) and was the closing image. Truth is awesome on the mic but I worry it will all go to crap when he enters the ring and does his lame fake looking offense (I think this is one of the reasons WWE haven't had him wrestle since his turn), hopefully I'm wrong though.

John Cena fist pumping with Zack Ryder was funny and odd.

I actually don't want to see Christian turn heel, I'd rather see Randy Orton turn. Smackdown was awesome with monster heel Brock Lesnar on top, and it could be equally brilliant to have a bat-shit insane psychopathic Randy Orton as the top bad guy, building up to a Christian rematch at a MUCH LATER PPV. As fun as Christian is as a heel, I think the best direction for his storyline to go is to make the fans really want to see him get the title back, and have him chase a dominant Orton. The thought of Orton/Sheamus, with Sheamus as the babyface is pretty appealing for me too, and could even be Smackdown's Wrestlemania match next year.

his dropkick on reilly was sweet as well other that meh show

although loved the Ryder cameo

I honestly think that was only done so Ryder could use it on his web show! For a split second I say Ryder, heard the pop and genuinely thought the fantastic reaction was for him!! I hope they do start using the guy though, give him his own web-show esque segment, or even use his online program on WWE.com. Maybe have him run a campaign on Smackdown (story being Teddy likes his web-show) to get used more on RAW, building up to a mini-feud with the anonymous GM. Could be fun, and give Smackdown a comedy character worth watching.

Mason Ryan's pretty ridiculous, his facial expressions are so over the top that he just comes across as a parody of an 80s wrestler. He actually does look as though he's got athletic ability and maybe could be OK if he could tone it down a bit.

Im not sure if he even has the athletic ability - like Rob Terry, he is employed purely on his physique.

I dont begrudge anyone looking good - hell, im a gym monkey myself - but i get the impression that Mr Ryan is only involved in wrestling because the opportunity came along following his Gladiators stuff. I may be wrong, but it just dont get any sense of passion for the business, any life long dream...just a bodybuilder who got offered a chance to be on TV every week and took it.

For me, it takes more than puffing your cheeks and pulling an angry face to convince me that you're a badass. Take the " king heel" imo, Brock Lesnar. Yes he did the " angry face" but only when it was needed. Other times, he could make the crowd sit up and watch with a single smirk or glare.

Anyone know if he did any wrestling before the gladiators gig? If im wrong, then i apoligise and stand corrected ( said the man in the orthopedic shoes).

Mason Ryan's pretty ridiculous, his facial expressions are so over the top that he just comes across as a parody of an 80s wrestler. He actually does look as though he's got athletic ability and maybe could be OK if he could tone it down a bit.

Im not sure if he even has the athletic ability - like Rob Terry, he is employed purely on his physique.

I dont begrudge anyone looking good - hell, im a gym monkey myself - but i get the impression that Mr Ryan is only involved in wrestling because the opportunity came along following his Gladiators stuff. I may be wrong, but it just dont get any sense of passion for the business, any life long dream...just a bodybuilder who got offered a chance to be on TV every week and took it.

For me, it takes more than puffing your cheeks and pulling an angry face to convince me that you're a badass. Take the " king heel" imo, Brock Lesnar. Yes he did the " angry face" but only when it was needed. Other times, he could make the crowd sit up and watch with a single smirk or glare.

Anyone know if he did any wrestling before the gladiators gig? If im wrong, then i apoligise and stand corrected ( said the man in the orthopedic shoes).

From Wikipedia:

Griffiths began training to be a professional wrestler in 2006 after attending a wrestling show with a friend where the promoter recommended he start wrestling. He trained at a professional wrestling school in Birkenhead. Prior to appearing on Gladiators, Griffiths had wrestled under the names "Celtic Warrior" and "Smackdown Warrior" since 2007, and had competed in almost 100 matches in countries including Egypt and Venezuela. He represented the UK in a 'Battle of the Nations' tag team match between the UK and Austria, teaming with Drew McDonald and Sheamus O'Shaunessy in a losing effort to Chris Raaber, Michael Kovac, and Robert Ray Kreuzer at the European Wrestlng Association's Night of Gladiators show in June 2007. After signing with World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE), Griffiths had his final show in Wales at Y Ganolfan, Porthmadog in October 2008, where he first won a singles match, before winning a battle royal.

• Paid Members

Oh aye that's another thing I forgot. Looks like Mason Ryans monster push is over, one week in. I was thinking during the match that WWE were doing a grand job building up Mason Ryan as Kane was beating him up but failed to drop him. THEN Kane drops him with a shit dropkick to the shin. Cue Mason Ryan getting his arsed kicked.

Oh well, looks like Welsh monster wrestlers will never get over.

Oh aye that's another thing I forgot. Looks like Mason Ryans monster push is over, one week in. I was thinking during the match that WWE were doing a grand job building up Mason Ryan as Kane was beating him up but failed to drop him. THEN Kane drops him with a shit dropkick to the shin. Cue Mason Ryan getting his arsed kicked.

Oh well, looks like Welsh monster wrestlers will never get over.

Dont forget, Batista was bland as shit, clumsy as hell and treated like an afterthought when he first debuted.

Give Mason Ryan time. He'll get there.

Archived