2014 World Cup Qualifiers Discussion Thread

David

Scotland look almost certain to be fourth seeds for the World Cup draw in July.

Craig Levein's men have two games to go before the final FIFA rankings are unveiled - the Carling Cup of Nations games against Wales and Republic of Ireland in Dublin next month.

Only an exceptionally unlikely scenario of results elsewhere would alter the projected seedings, with a 0.01 per cent hope the Scots will be in Pot Three and a 1.29 per cent chance of being relegated to Pot Five.

The most likely scenario is that Levein, left, will see his team placed in Pot Four with Albania, Austria, Bulgaria, Georgia, Lithuania, Northern Ireland, Poland and Romania.

Top seeds are likely to be Croatia, England, Germany, Greece, Italy, Holland, Norway, Portugal or Spain but Montenegro will step up if they defeat Bulgaria in June.

Likely Seedings:

Pot 1 - Croatia, England, Germany, Greece, Italy, Holland, Norway, Portugal, Spain.

Pot 2 - Denmark, France, Montenegro, Russia, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Sweden, Turkey.

Pot 3 - Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Czech Republic, Hungary, Israel, Republic of Ireland, Switzerland, Ukraine.

Pot 4 - Albania, Austria, Bulgaria, Georgia, Lithuania, Northern Ireland, Poland, Romania, Scotland.

Pot 5 - Armenia, Azerbaijan, Cyprus, Estonia, Finland, FYR Macedonia, Iceland, Latvia, Moldova.

Pot 6 - Andorra, Faroe Islands, Kazakhstan, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Malta, San Marino, Wales.

Speaking from a personal point of view, I'd love to see;

England

Sweden

Israel

Scotland

Estonia

San Marino

A trip to Wembley in a game that actually means something would be excellent, as would the match at Hampden no doubt.

• Paid Members

You might need to start a new thread come July, this one will drop off really quickly. Fuck all to discuss right now, like.

England

France

Republic Of Ireland

Scotland

Iceland

Wales

That would be an exceptionally exciting group, maybe even enough to get me watching England games again.

Not really a big fan of home nation sides playing each other in qualifiers. Look at when England played Wales, way too much hype and people talking it up like a close game when it was never going to be. Plus I actually like the idea of other home nations qualifying for tournaments, it just doesnt happen that often.

• 2 months later...
  • Awards Moderator

That bloke on SSN is a dickhead. He wasn't far off having a wank when we didn't get France.

Full draw:

GROUP A: Croatia, Serbia, Belgium, Scotland, Macedonia, Wales

GROUP B: Italy, Denmark, Czech Republic, Bulgaria, Armenia, Malta

GROUP C: Germany, Sweden, Ireland, Austria, Faroe Islands, Kazakhstan

GROUP D: Holland, Turkey, Hungary, Romania, Estonia, Andorra

GROUP E: Norway, Slovenia, Switzerland, Albania, Cyprus, Iceland

GROUP F: Portugal, Russia, Israel, Northern Ireland, Azerbaijan, Luxembourg

GROUP G: Greece, Slovakia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Lithuania, Latvia, Liechtenstein

GROUP H: England, Montenegro, Ukraine, Poland, Moldova, San Marino

GROUP I: Spain, France, Belarus, Georgia, Finland

That's an absolutely brutal group for Scotland, gotta feel for them with a line up like that.

England on the other hand.... should be pretty straightforward really.

Youre kidding right? Thats the most flat group of them all, any team could beat any team in my eyes.

Archived