Victor Lewis Smith

PowerButchi

• Moderators

I've noticed he doesn't really get mentioned here, and as the trailblazer for Chris Morris and Charlie Brooker I thought I'd give him a bit of a thread here. His prank calls are a thing of beauty, as is the fact that he was booked Arthur Mullard to present an intellectual show on Radio 4.

Been watching TV Offal again these past couple of days. It's absolutely brilliant stuff. 0:35 of

never fails to crease me.

So, memories? Thoughts?

Fuck me till I fart! One of the funniest things I have ever seen. Charlie Brooker referenced him in an earlyish Screenwipe episode I seem to remember. Brookers whole act is based on Lewes Smith. He seems to be doing some food critique for the Gaurdian as well. He should have done more television!

MAORI PARPERNS.

I'll add to the discussion with a mention of Ads Nauseam, two series' worth of 10-minute advert-based nonsense. Amazingly good stuff. I've got a show called "Inside Victor Lewis Smith" knocking around somewhere but never got round to watching it even though I've had it for years.

I caught on a bit late to VLS, but I remember having a book of all of his TV reviews for the Evening Standard which was absolutely hilarious. I have vague recollections of seeing TV Hell on channel four but I seem to recall that while it had its moments, it was also very hit and miss.

I thought Victor Lewis Smith was that complete and utter prick who writes for the Evening Standard... so I googled to double-check that it is him. it is.

Is this really the same guy?? The plastic dready middle-class wanker from the standard??

Yup, It's definitely him. What a cunt.

Victor Lewis Smith is just a prime example of someone who wants to shock to make up for lack of talent. I remember that TV Offal programme that used to be on Channel 4. I suppose it was OK if your idea of quality entertainment were Daleks ejaculating and shouting, "white wee wee!" every week. That programme was a complete an utter unfunny load of shite.

Victor Lewis Smith is just a prime example of someone who wants to shock to make up for lack of talent. I remember that TV Offal programme that used to be on Channel 4. I suppose it was OK if your idea of quality entertainment were Daleks ejaculating and shouting, "white wee wee!" every week. That programme was a complete an utter unfunny load of shite.

About the right level for many here.

Killjoys.

Every episode of TV Offal is on Youtube, it's well worth seeing if you're not a Michael Mcintyre fan.

Excellnt. I had no idea.

I remember being lent a tape of his phone pranks, around 1994/5, that was my first exposure to the man. I've tried to watch everything he's done, like that one series he did for the BBC (can't remember it's name, but it was based around him being in a coma), ads infinitum and the documentary he made about Simon Dee

Archived