Who would greatly benefit from a face/heel turn?

ShortOrderCook

Definently John Morrison for the heel turn, I think if he grows his beard and becomes a bad ass heel he could get over. When he cuts his promos now he's all laugh and jokey, so maybe a new attitude could help him on the mic as well, his moveset could hinder him but it could easily be toned down a bit.

Christian too was always better as a heel, I still dont think he's a natural babyface so it's hard for fans to properly invest in him, in 2005 he was so over it was unreal, make him heel and bring back the peep show.

I agree about Sheamus being face too, I think that'd work, with him being US Champion now and changing his trunks according to represent the US, you have the base of a face turn right there.

Also, I think Jack Swagger could be a good face, I dont think theres a lot more he can do as a heel, we've seen it all before, he could do the whole american hero type deal like Kurt Angle i think, probably not to as much success, but i think he'd do alright. Can have him turn on Michael Cole at Extreme Rules and the turn is done there and then.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
John Morrison

bad ass

Do you really think those two things could go together? Maybe if they keep him away from microphones long enough. I can't see a heel turn doing anything for Morrison. The lad can't talk, anyone who's still convinced he can is fooling themselves. He looks great and he can do tremendous stunts, and he's a lot more credible than the likes of Evan Bourne, but he's never going to get anywhere on the strength of his personality. He needs some of that "look at the resilience" booking that Shawn Michaels benefitted so greatly from fifteen odd years ago. Some matches where he just won't quit. Similar to the way R-Truth went in the gauntlet, but without the mid-match rehydration.

John Morrison

bad ass

Do you really think those two things could go together? Maybe if they keep him away from microphones long enough. I can't see a heel turn doing anything for Morrison. The lad can't talk, anyone who's still convinced he can is fooling themselves. He looks great and he can do tremendous stunts, and he's a lot more credible than the likes of Evan Bourne, but he's never going to get anywhere on the strength of his personality. He needs some of that "look at the resilience" booking that Shawn Michaels benefitted so greatly from fifteen odd years ago. Some matches where he just won't quit. Similar to the way R-Truth went in the gauntlet, but without the mid-match rehydration.

The other week, when he had his beard and he came out and kicked the fuck out of CM Punk I think it was, well a few weeks ago now, he looked really bad ass, and he was just pissed off and it looked to add an edge to his character, but then it was never touched on again.

I think you may be right tbh with the talking bit, I can't remember his ECW run when he first switched to John Morrison, but im sure he was a bit better on the mic as a heel than he is now. I dunno, i've just always thought he'd work better as a heel. The way he just randomly switched to a face when he was drafted was unreal, it sucked every bit of likeability out of him it seemed, he'd work well as a cool heel.

I agree he could do with that type of Shawn Michaels booking, but I dont think WWE are going to do it, they dont seem to want to invest in him as a top line face, proven by having his big title match kick off RAW rather than wait for the PPV.

This was him on ECW. Not as bad as this week on Raw, but still really bad. Everything just seems really false.

Hmm yeah I know what you mean. I think thats more the actual character thats the problem, if they turn him heel, as just an angry bastard, maybe like you say they can keep him off the mic for a while, or at least keep it very basic and see how he gets on. I would say get him a manager, but that seems redundant nowadays, and I dont think he'd work with a manager anwyay.

I dunno, he just seems to have everything except the mic skills and it's really annoying, he could be the face of wrestling IMO if he could get past it, and I really like him, but it just doesnt seem to be clicking yet. Maybe he is going to just end up being one those nearly men that will be end up just being better in a tag team.

Morrison is dreadful on the mic, almost cringe inducing. You either have it or you don't. He certainly does not have it in regard to his mic "skills". He has been on WWE television for, what, seven years? Yet, if anything he has got worse on the mic. He will become a World Heavyweight Champion, but not a deserving one.

I think he needs a Miss Elizabeth or a Sensational Sherri to manage him (which will obviously annoy Melina).

He is certainly more than the glorified stunt man people seem to think he is on here, involved in one of the best matches of this year (vs The Miz on Raw) and he's the most popular guy who isn't a World Title contender, he just needs something to get him to the next level because he is woeful on the mic, but whats worse is that wwe just seem to let him talk anyway! Whats up with that! Give him a mouthpeice or just let him do his talking in the ring as they say...

but whats worse is that wwe just seem to let him talk anyway!

That bugs me as well. They must keep expecting him to improve the more he does it, but they're not doing him any favours. He's really, really good at everything else, but every interview he does takes him ten steps backwards. I've been saying since he first got drafted to Smackdown as a singles that they need to find a unique way to present him because he just can't do promos. The closest they've come is when he did a parkour run backstage before a match. There was a little spell late last year where they were really getting the hang of how to make Morrison look great.

I wouldnt give JoMo a female manager but I would give him a male manager. Like Tag Team wrestling, the art of the wrestling manager is becoming a lost one. There are so many guys out there who perhaps either have not developed the confidence/charisma or well never have the ability to cut a promo who would benefit from a manager..... and it works too, look at the difference Paul Heyman made to Brock lesnar, it gave him another tool in gaining heat from the crowd.

• Paid Members
Stepping aside from the "everyone needs to be a heel, I'll like 'em more then" sentiment that the thread's consisted of so far, I'm suggesting someone who could do with a good turn: Sheamus. He's got an honest, friendly face.

Bahhhh, you beat me to it - Sheamus turned face - done correctly - could give them a new "Batista". Sheamus is a total badass in the ring and pretty good on the mic too, he's got all the tools to be a top babyface that everyone could get behind.

I actually think Drew McIntyre has the potential to be a good babyface too. During his brief Kelly Kelly-loving spell fans seemed to get behind him, and that wasn't even a fully fledged turn. He's shown a lot of fire in the ring recently, and that's exactly what could get the fans behind him as a good guy.

Another shout? Don't think anyone's mentioned Zack Ryder yet. A babyface turn and maybe a brand swap could make him Smackdown's Santino. He has all the tools to be a very effective comedy character.

Last but not least, maybe Dolph Ziggler? Smackdown needs a top face, and let's imagine Randy Orton moves brand to fill that slot. That opens a space on RAW, and that's something Ziggler could fill rather well. He's probably not going to move back to Smackdown, and on a brand that features CM Punk and The Miz he's never going to be the top heel of the brand. But he's athletic enough and decent enough on the mic to be a less awkward version of John Morrison.

From a heel perspective, I think Daniel Bryan's really struggled to get over to any great level as a face. Part of the reason is because of how ridiculous he looks coming in to Flight of the Valkyries, and how generally geeky they've portrayed him. They need to shed this character, and perhaps a move to Smackdown and a subsequent turn could see him propel up the card.

I think it's unlikely, but I think Christian has all the tools to be the top heel on the Smackdown brand. I'd like to see him win the World title, and then for Teddy Long to be drafted off Smackdown, with Randy Orton heading the opposite direction. This leaves a GM slot free, and this could be taken by Edge. Randy Orton could win a title shot, but lose it after a confrontation with Christian results in an RKO (but not a confrontation made in such a way it makes Orton look like the heel) a biased Edge could ban Orton from any future title shots, and strip him from his current one, and Christian, with a heel GM Edge's help, could keep the title until Wrestlemania. Orton could win the Rumble, use that to overule Edge's decision, and we have a hot Wrestlemania match with lots of backstory.

• Paid Members
Another shout? Don't think anyone's mentioned Zack Ryder yet. A babyface turn and maybe a brand swap could make him Smackdown's Santino. He has all the tools to be a very effective comedy character.

Just getting him on TV would be a start!

I agree, he does. But Santino spent a good eighteen months or so as a prominent comedy heel on Raw, building loads of memorable moments and goodwill, before turning. Ryder turns up every now and again on Superstars. As air_raid said, the important thing is to get him on telly at all. Worry about turning him babyface when people in the arena (outside of a few sign-wielders) know who he is.

• Paid Members

I agree, he does. But Santino spent a good eighteen months or so as a prominent comedy heel on Raw, building loads of memorable moments and goodwill, before turning. Ryder turns up every now and again on Superstars. As air_raid said, the important thing is to get him on telly at all. Worry about turning him babyface when people in the arena (outside of a few sign-wielders) know who he is.

The reason I say a face turn might benefit him is basically to take a fresh approach to the guy. I don't see him getting much airtime on Smackdown if he DOES move unless they tweak his character some how, or team him up with someone he can bounce off. We'll see, I guess.

Beth Phoenix might benefit from turning heel again, to put some renewed focus on her. I kind of wonder if the debut of Awesome Kong means the niche of the powerhouse female will be filled for WWE, and if she'll be out on her arse. Alternatively, Kong could plough through the divas before a vaguely interesting one on one match with Beth takes place.

• Paid Members

lightbulb_idea[1].jpg

I don't see him getting much airtime on Smackdown if he DOES move unless they tweak his character some how, or team him up with someone he can bounce off.

steveblackman.jpg

Archived