Who would greatly benefit from a face/heel turn?

ShortOrderCook

• Paid Members

Reading the Raw thread and noticing the majority reaction to R-Truths heel turn being that it's not only the first time most found him any good to watch, but that following his performance in executing the turn there's potential he could revel in the new role and be great to watch, it got me wondering who else might benefit from a turn or if there's others who'd turn out to be a complete revelation from making the switch. R-Truth certainly isn't the first and he won't be the last, there's many who've seemed awful but suddenly shone following a turn, The Rock being one of the finest examples.

Who do you reckon would benefit from a turn, suddenly become entertaining or have a career resurgence as a result?

P.S...Let's keep John Cena out of this one, yeah?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always thought as Rey Mysterio heel turn would be incredible. The idea came from his Super Hero attires at Wrestlemania, just thinking of him playing a Villian. I think the thought really set in when he came out dressed as The Joker, I just thought about having a really evil masked wrestler.

Plus, in the WWE Mysterio has never been a heel and if you were to turn someone for it to be a real shock, Mysterio would be the way to go. In my opinion he's been doing some heelish things as of late, run ins, attacks and things like that which normally a babyface wouldn't do unless provoked.

EDIT : Read the above just as I posted, and I like that idea to be honest! If there was anyone Rey would turn heel on, it should be Sin Cara IF he stuck around and IF he got over.

• Paid Members
Plus, in the WWE Mysterio has never been a heel and if you were to turn someone for it to be a real shock, Mysterio would be the way to go. In my opinion he's been doing some heelish things as of late, run ins, attacks and things like that which normally a babyface wouldn't do unless provoked.

He could bring the dungarees and devil horn hair back if he ever does turn heel.

Id have to say Mysterio for this one as well.. He's become so stale in his babyface role and i think continuing to use him in that role will only diminish his popularity.. A heel turn provides something fresh and options that currently arent available.. I think Sin Cara would benefit greatly from a heel Mysterio too if it was booked the right way..

Kane.. i know others might disagree, but the big friendly redmachine just doesnt work for me (despite Kane's greatcomedy timing.. anyone else remember his Hogan impression on Smackdown years ago? lol).. I think to truly turn Kane considering how watered down he's become would mean bringing back the mask and silent monster gimmick.. Kane can really project through his mask in a way others cant seem to, so i dont think storytelling would be an issue..

Undertaker.. Id love one last heel run by the deadman and i think it would really inject some life into his increasingly stale gimmick.. The reason the Undertaker gimmick is so timeless is that it'sevolved throughout the years.. in recent years it seems to have stalled..

Problem with heel Mysterio is, he'd need to make major changes to his ring style surely? He doesn't really have any brutal or heelish moves. Not saying he couldn't pull it off, but particularly with the WWE main event style of the heel getting his heat for a prolonged period setting up the big babyface comeback, I'm not sure I'd buy him as being vicious or dominant.

I quite like having Mysterio as a 'career' babyface anyway. Wrestlers are turned on a whim these days, and it makes a nice change of pace when the occasional guy stays on one side of the fence. It helps fans truly get behind them as well, when they haven't already played heel twice in their career or whatever.

I think John Morrison would be a lot more comfortable as a heel, and it might finally give him that big confidence boost he needs to push himself into the top bracket.

I'd also like to see a face turn from Big 'Zeke. I reckon he'd get more chance to show some personality rather than just playing a Generic WWE Hoss.

• Paid Members
I quite like having Mysterio as a 'career' babyface anyway. Wrestlers are turned on a whim these days, and it makes a nice change of pace when the occasional guy stays on one side of the fence. It helps fans truly get behind them as well, when they haven't already played heel twice in their career or whatever.

Mysterio played heel in 1999 turned face again soon after and then turned heel again in 2000 when he joined the New Blood. He turned a few times during the Russo booked era. He was shite. He tried attacking Kevin Nash and ended up literally under a car begging not to be beaten anymore. I believe he also played heel in Mexico as well.

• Paid Members

Colt Cabana. Stale beyond belief as a babyface at the moment, a heel would at least make him semi-relevant again. Generico is the obvious foil; but said program might come across as a stale retread of Steen vs. Generico.

Alright you pedantic buggers, I obviously meant during his WWE career. :laugh:

I didn't watch much Russo era WCW (for some odd reason) so I can't comment on that - though it sounds like his heel run(s) were pretty rubbish. Mexico's a very different situation, obviously, playing Rudo in a lucha match is a different animal to being a convincing heel against John Cena or Triple H in the main event of a WWE PPV.

I don't think Mysterio would need to change his style to play a heel. His stuff is so watered down these days due to his knees and him being a lot heavier, that it could still work. You only have to look at the Cody Rhodes angle, if a heel Mysterio purposely revealed the knee brace and hit the 619 it'd have been great. Winning a match in that fashion is comparable to exposing the turnbuckle pad...a typical heel move.

I'm sure some of his other offence wouldn't need to be changed, just slightly altered.

I think Morrison is a pretty obvious one, but I'd also love to see Christian get another heel run soon. That might seem a bit counterproductive on the surface of it seeing as he's just now breaking into the title picture due to the Edge connection and the lack of babyfaces on Smackdown, but I can't realistically see that lasting long past the draft and I really think he's a far better performer as a heel. As a cocky little shit, he's one of my favourite mic workers of the last decade, but as a face he's just a bit bland.

I dont understand the logic behind turning Randy Orton or Rey Misterio heel, both are really over and shift shit loads of merch. I know a lot of you on here dont understand how wrestling works but its about making money and a babyface Rey Rey is easy money, factor in his superhuman ability to draw sympathy from a crowd without the benefit of his face to sell from and you have a perfect blue eye.

Cena is near enough the same, he still makes the company an insane amount of money by being a face so there is no reason to turn him heel.

Daniel Bryan to go heel and feud with Sin Cara. He's stalled for whatever reason, is lost in the shuffle, would be lots of fun as an embittered heel with a point, and would be a useful teacher for Cara developing his American style - oh and you'd be guaranteed a good to a great match somewhere in there.

EDIT: Oh and I see from the reports Bryan played heel against Sheamus in Dublin with great success. I know that's probably a one off for a hometown babyface but a reminder he could pick and run with a heel turn in a second. I sometimes wonder what would have happened if Nexus had included him during their early days. Well Cena would squash him obviously but apart from that.....

P.S. I wouldn't be surprised if in Findley's absence the agents planned for Bryan to play face but he called an audible and gets fired for such an affront - WWE seems to do something idiotic like that every week.

Archived