Who would greatly benefit from a face/heel turn?

ShortOrderCook

Thanks Jim.... but a lot of us do and we say Randy Orton and Rey Mysterio because we watch for our own pleasure not Vince McMahon's.

Fuck the plastic midge I say. Sin Cara should kill him in front of the children as a mega-babyface to cement his character way above where Mysterio's is or ever will be.

:)

Daniel Bryan to go heel and feud with Sin Cara. He's stalled for whatever reason, is lost in the shuffle, would be lots of fun as an embittered heel with a point, and would be a useful teacher for Cara developing his American style - oh and you'd be guaranteed a good to a great match somewhere in there.

That's my top pick though. Too good to be left going stale. Daniel's good enough to maybe even get JoMo over like a babyface.... but then I'd rather that didn't happen.

Much prefer anything that gets Sin Cara over. (After all, Vince has spent loads already on Sin Cara and those of us who understand how wrestling works really should be considering these things ;))

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I dont understand the logic behind turning Randy Orton or Rey Misterio heel, both are really over and shift shit loads of merch. I know a lot of you on here dont understand how wrestling works but its about making money and a babyface Rey Rey is easy money, factor in his superhuman ability to draw sympathy from a crowd without the benefit of his face to sell from and you have a perfect blue eye.

Cena is near enough the same, he still makes the company an insane amount of money by being a face so there is no reason to turn him heel.

I reckon a heel Mysterio would probably shift some merchandise too. I've brought up recently that if I was running a major company I'd be all about the masks, give heel Rey some cool masks and they'll shift. In fact as a villain his whole image could change, be pushed to new extremes and I reckon you'd sell off the back of it. Whether you'd shift as much in the long run I'm not so sure, probably not, but Rey probably doesn't have much time left in him and they could get over whatever babyface they wanted (such as Sin Cara) through an angle with him.

The only issue with heel Rey is how he'd play it in the ring. You can have him do run ins with crazy, unhinged and unpredictable moves, that'd work great, play up the fact that he doesn't care what he does as long as he hurts someone, but if you stick him in there with a bigger opponent it'd be harder to sell him as the heel. You'd probably have to give him one or two big guys in his corner. Which would get that guy over too if he turns and smashes Rey into oblivion after he's been a bastard heel for however long. Whether Rey'd get the psychology of a heel I'm not so sure. It'd be hard when you've mostly been a babyface.

The moves wouldn't be too much of an issue though I don't think. I've always thought a heel who does flashy moves in the ring that wows the crowd and then says in interviews "Yeah, you hate me, but I'm amazing and you have to admit it don't you? Doesn't that just eat you up inside?" would get over as a heel pretty well. You get caught in the moment and applaud his athletic abilities and then realise that's exactly what he wants and that in the process he's makign you evil too.

They'll have to do the masked super hero vs. masked supper villain thing one day. It's crying out to be done. They'll sell a crap load of merchandise off the back of it and probably come up with a kids TV show for them to whack on their proposed channel. Rey turning would be a good start to that because he's always been the good guy in the WWE, to have him suddenly be the heel would probably crush some of the kids. To have him be a complete mad bastard would probably scare a couple too.

I honestly don't think the fans would boo Mysterio against people. Him and Rhodes in reverse roles would have less heat than a Hardy boys feud. Certainly against Sin Cara anytime soon they'd sit of their hands or worse boo the shit out of Sin Cara. If you want to a Tiger Mask/Black Tiger thing then Mysterio has to play face with Sin Cara or Bryan as heel (from inside the organisation; otherwise raid Mexico for someone).

Stepping aside from the "everyone needs to be a heel, I'll like 'em more then" sentiment that the thread's consisted of so far, I'm suggesting someone who could do with a good turn: Sheamus. He's got an honest, friendly face.

I'd also turn either Mason Ryan or Skip Sheffield and keep the other as a baddie. Either Skip comes back opposing the New Nexus, or Mason rebels against them and Skip replaces him.

I think Justin Gabriel's going to make a great hero at some point. I'm very impressed with his work overall. No rush on that turn though.

Heel turns: Natalya... JTG (Smackdown only really needs one jobber babyface, and Trent Baretta seems to be doing fine in that role at the moment).

I honestly don't think the fans would boo Mysterio against people. Him and Rhodes in reverse roles would have less heat than a Hardy boys feud. Certainly against Sin Cara anytime soon they'd sit of their hands or worse boo the shit out of Sin Cara. If you want to a Tiger Mask/Black Tiger thing then Mysterio has to play face with Sin Cara or Bryan as heel (from inside the organisation; otherwise raid Mexico for someone).

That'd be an issue if you turned Rey against Sin Cara or Bryan now but you'd have to be an utter mong to do so. You turn him against another top line face. Or put him in a team with Cara and build Cara up as really admiring Rey, wanting to emulate him and then ahve Rey beat the crap out of him. The more I think about it the more I think it'd work better on RAW, and I can't see that happening. There's something about Rey turning on Cena, Sin trying to emulate Rey and then getting twatted and Rey being utterly insane on a live show that sounds far more exciting.

• Paid Members

Yeah, I'm gonna have to be in the "Mysterio turning on Sin Cara" camp here. For me, it just works from every perspective. It goes without saying that Rey knows lucha inside-out, and he pretty much wrote the book on adapting to the "WWE style". So who better to help Sin Cara segue in? Furthermore, it's the one situation where Rey could turn without leaving a gap - because the younger, faster guy with a just-as-cool mask immediately fills it.

And speaking of younger and faster, that works too - Rey's still in-shape enough to bump Sin Cara's stuff, and turning heel means he can keep his stuff slow like he needs to. If anything, a heel style suits his capabilities better at this stage. Just think about it - Sin Cara bouncing all over the place, Rey taking the bumps he's known since he was a teenager, and all he needs to do is a well-timed dropkick or enzuigiri, look smug as shit and milk the buildup to a 619.

So yeah. Easy to book, workable to pull off, and in all likelihood, of immense benefit to two important guys in the company, both of whom are viable stars. Why not?

I don't see how Kane turning heel would be any good either like The Big Show he's tuned so many times now it don't matter any more I'm pretty sure both of them will of gone heel again by end of the year.

This is why i said it would have to be sone right. Another quick turn for no apparent reason isnt going to do much good. But a carefully planned out turn involving a return to the silent masked monster gimmick could be really great for the character and would create some great TV. The Kane character is stale as hell and so watered down its not even funny, this would be the serious reboot the character needs to be relevant again.. A new mask means more merchandise also..

• Paid Members
Colt Cabana. Stale beyond belief as a babyface at the moment, a heel would at least make him semi-relevant again. Generico is the obvious foil; but said program might come across as a stale retread of Steen vs. Generico.

I totally agree with this one, He could even use his NWA title as part of the gimmick. Stick with his "Pure wrestling" stuff, but just become the "I'm better than you" mega heel that he could be. Gold waiting to happen.

Yeah, I'm gonna have to be in the "Mysterio turning on Sin Cara" camp here. For me, it just works from every perspective.

So yeah. Easy to book, workable to pull off, and in all likelihood, of immense benefit to two important guys in the company, both of whom are viable stars. Why not?

I'm not tremendously opposed because I'm sure you'd get some decent matches, but I'd be surprised if it made great TV week in, week out. Pull the string in Mysterio's back and you get one of three soundbites: "Being the World Champion is my dreeeeeam!", "Thank you, WWE Universe!" and... well, maybe one of those in Spanish. So between Rey's mediocre-at-best promo skills and Sin Cara pointing all the time like a lucha Trish Stratus, I'd question how engaging a feud could be set-up and carried on over time. Maybe Rey could surprise me, but I'm telling you, it would be one hell of a surprise to find myself enthralled by a Mysterio promo.

• Paid Members
I'd also like to see a face turn from Big 'Zeke. I reckon he'd get more chance to show some personality rather than just playing a Generic WWE Hoss.

Zeke's a great face. His little run on Raw/Superstars squashing Ryder, Primo etc was awesome. Was pleased when he got moved to Smackdown, was disappointed when they turned him heel. Stick a smile on his face again.

Edit: Just remembered, a mate of mine who works in a publishing warehouse brought me a bunch of WWE magazines a couple of months ago, and there was an interview in there with Zeke where he talked pretty passionately about his Christian faith, how he carries a bible with him everywhere etc. If they were to introduce a little aspect of that to his character (I'm not talking about Reverend D'Von, but bring back the biblical references to his promos, in a positive light), I could see that being a character trait WWE would really like in a modern babyface.

Plus, the lyrics of his (awesome) theme are pretty babyface, when you think about it. Yes, he dominates people, but he does it with a combination of skill and concentration. Good effort.

This is why i said it would have to be sone right. Another quick turn for no apparent reason isnt going to do much good. But a carefully planned out turn involving a return to the silent masked monster gimmick could be really great for the character and would create some great TV.

Not as great as a new NWO or putting all the black wrestlers in a New Nation, or lazily recycling other stuff from when we were kids.

Stepping aside from the "everyone needs to be a heel, I'll like 'em more then" sentiment that the thread's consisted of so far, I'm suggesting someone who could do with a good turn: Sheamus. He's got an honest, friendly face.

I'd also turn either Mason Ryan or Skip Sheffield and keep the other as a baddie. Either Skip comes back opposing the New Nexus, or Mason rebels against them and Skip replaces him.

I think Justin Gabriel's going to make a great hero at some point. I'm very impressed with his work overall. No rush on that turn though.

Heel turns: Natalya... JTG (Smackdown only really needs one jobber babyface, and Trent Baretta seems to be doing fine in that role at the moment).

Yeah I said something similar in another thread. I really like him and he is certainly on of the most talented in ring of the Corre/Nexus bunch. He's a "boyhood dream" moment away from being a bonfide superstar I reckon.

• Paid Members
I know a lot of you on here dont understand how wrestling works

That will go down well.

I'd like to see a smaller guy turn heel, even though it wont be Rey due to his merchandise sales and the sell out business they do with him whenever they go to Mexico or South America and in general bringing in the Hispanic demographic.

Reasoning is because watching a lot of old Wcw I miss the kind of heel Syxx was, that small, annoying cocky little shit that would always get his licks in and scarper or hide behind his bigger mates and made you desperate to see him get twatted. No one in particular has done it like that since Waltman.

Done it well anyway.

Archived