4Music, T4, Freshly Squeezed and all such Channel 4 "young"

The Miz

Yes I am well aware I am im my 30's and this is not really aimed at me anymore, but come on, it has been like it for years. The whole Channel 4 "youth", "music" programming is just dreadful. All of the presenters share an alarming trend of trying to be funny all the time, without success. They all attempt to bounce off of one another with deadpan one liners and smug humour.

Take this morning for example. They had two ex Hollioakes "Actors" doing it on Freshly Squeezed. Between each video they attempted a painfully unfunny comedy routine, which was painful to watch. So I lowered the sound until the next music video came on. This kind of stuff has gone on since the days of Simon Anstell. Who I hated until he started on Buzzcocks.

I know the era of Phillip Scoffield on Goling Live have passed, but is this what the Kids are meant to enjoy these days?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes I am well aware I am im my 30's and this is not really aimed at me anymore, but come on, it has been like it for years. The whole Channel 4 "youth", "music" programming is just dreadful. All of the presenters share an alarming trend of trying to be funny all the time, without success. They all attempt to bounce off of one another with deadpan one liners and smug humour.

Take this morning for example. They had two ex Hollioakes "Actors" doing it on Freshly Squeezed. Between each video they attempted a painfully unfunny comedy routine, which was painful to watch. So I lowered the sound until the next music video came on. This kind of stuff has gone on since the days of Simon Anstell. Who I hated until he started on Buzzcocks.

I know the era of Phillip Scoffield on Goling Live have passed, but is this what the Kids are meant to enjoy these days?

I hate them all too, to use wrestling terms they never actually seem to do a decent job of interviewing people and try and get themselves "over" by being all kooky and indie. Twats.

• Moderators

:omg:

You've answered your own question here. They've pretty much just franchised his personality and made it synonymous with the brand. E.g. like if you watch Weakest Link in another country - it's not just the way they ask the questions and do eliminations, but every other version has a redhead in a trenchcoat being a bitch to the contestants - it's all part of the format.

That's the second time in a few days you've mentioned that book, so I went and looked it up. Sounds like something I might enjoy; cheers.

I think you'll enjoy it; the concept is what originally got me interested, but the content is even better. Perfectly written, in my opinion, but then it's pretty tailored to my tastes of snapshots, neat dialogue and descriptions and loads of modern cultural references. I'd recommend it to anyone, it's the sort of book that everyone is looking for e.g. a book totally easy to read yet still with a ton of substance.

Fuck that shite and bring back The Big Breakfast.

Whether I had to goto work/school/college or not I was getting up to watch that, egg on your face, egg on your face lol, now that show was funny.

TBH with current tech I doubt kids even watch TV much these days, which would explain the demise of SMTV as we knew it.

The Big Breakfast gave me one of my favourite TV moments ever. When Denise Van Outen was doing her 'poor man's Barbara Windsor' act in the 'On the Bed' segment, she interviewed Arnold Schwarzenegger around the time he was promoting End of Days. Arnie was taking the first bit of her 'tart with a heart' act a bit too literally and was all over her like a cheap suit, while DVO was trying desperately to fend him off without blowing her 'I'm a bit saucy, me' image.

Finally, she said something like 'oo-er, careful, my boyfriend will be watching this!'

To which Arnold replied:

"What's he gonna do.....BEAT ME UP? HO HO HO HO!"

He then laughed like a drain, a deep baritone chuckle, for about 2 minutes. I don't know if Arnold knew that her boyfriend at the time was Jay Kay, but it makes it even funnier if he did.

The Big Breakfast gave me one of my favourite TV moments ever. When Denise Van Outen was doing her 'poor man's Barbara Windsor' act in the 'On the Bed' segment, she interviewed Arnold Schwarzenegger around the time he was promoting End of Days. Arnie was taking the first bit of her 'tart with a heart' act a bit too literally and was all over her like a cheap suit, while DVO was trying desperately to fend him off without blowing her 'I'm a bit saucy, me' image.

Finally, she said something like 'oo-er, careful, my boyfriend will be watching this!'

To which Arnold replied:

"What's he gonna do.....BEAT ME UP? HO HO HO HO!"

He then laughed like a drain, a deep baritone chuckle, for about 2 minutes. I don't know if Arnold knew that her boyfriend at the time was Jay Kay, but it makes it even funnier if he did.

That's excellent. Big Breakfast was a goldmine for stuff like this.

I do hate these young wanky presenters T4 churns out. It's like T4 alumni Steve Jones trying to get me to donate to comic relief when all he's really trying to do is get himself over. He's a tosspot. There all tosspots.

Young presenters I rate are OJ Borg and Melvin O'Doom of Ricky & Melvin/Dick and Dom in Da Bungelow fame. Just play it safe and keep it funny at the same time.

• Awards Moderator
]That's the second time in a few days you've mentioned that book, so I went and looked it up. Sounds like something I might enjoy; cheers.

I think you'll enjoy it; the concept is what originally got me interested, but the content is even better. Perfectly written, in my opinion, but then it's pretty tailored to my tastes of snapshots, neat dialogue and descriptions and loads of modern cultural references. I'd recommend it to anyone, it's the sort of book that everyone is looking for e.g. a book totally easy to read yet still with a ton of substance.

I recently read it as well - finished it this weekend in fact. I can agree that it's excellent. Not the sort of book I would pick up in a shop, but I Kindled it and loved the sample chapter, bought the full book and loved that too.

Like Sunny says, the concept is what intrigued me, and it works extremely well. The stories and the characters are all completely relatable and (importantly) likeable - the twists and turns keep you gripped, and it doesn't lose steam at any point. It is easy to read but there's a lot going on under the surface if you want to pick up on it.

Some books that have concepts like that do start to falter partway through, but this doesn't - and the thing is, depending on your age, you'll identify with certain parts more, as it covers a span of about twenty years. For example, the 'early twenties' section was very close to home for me, but I have friends who will know exactly how the 'early thirties' stuff feels too. But at the same time, because of how well-written the characters are, your interest level doesn't waver.

Anyway, it's an excellent book and I also recommend it very highly - even if you don't think it's your sort of thing when you pick it up, you'll probably end up liking it anyway.

Archived