Pick Your Power Game Thread

Mike Castle

How nobody but Tom picked up on that 180 comment made by the scum was beyond me as I noticed it straight away.

Please can any townie who voted for Snake, please explain to me why they felt we should lynch an important power role so early in the game, without giving them chance to try and defend themselves?

I used the 180 degree comment too SMS and I wasn't scum.

I still stand by my opinion that BP isn't overly useful once revealed, and I was sure Lion wasn't scum. If we'd been right we wouldn't even be questioning it.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How nobody but Tom picked up on that 180 comment made by the scum was beyond me as I noticed it straight away.

Please can any townie who voted for Snake, please explain to me why they felt we should lynch an important power role so early in the game, without giving them chance to try and defend themselves?

I still stand by my opinion that BP isn't overly useful once revealed, and I was sure Lion wasn't scum. If we'd been right we wouldn't even be questioning it.

I know, but just reading back through and seeing I had the game figured out, leaves a horrible taste in my mouth.

Well played though Bristep. :thumbsup:

I know, but just reading back through and seeing I had the game figured out, leaves a horrible taste in my mouth.

Well played though Bristep. :thumbsup:

Ach I was hit and miss, the TDK case killed my credibility early on and Ron rode that very well. Once TDK and FG sulkquit it took a bit of the heart out of the game, and Lion started going the same way too. A very ill mannered game in the early days, and the later stages just ground on with low activity.

All in all SMS you definitely deserve town MVP.

• Paid Members

I am still struggling to understand the logic behind that decision, which not only lost us Snake, but also let scum know my important role leaving me an easy target as well.

I can't really speak for anybody else but it was a combination of the posts I found where El Nicko Loco tried to push Bullet Proof on you (obviously to try and protect you in retrospect) and just how hard you were trying to save him. You were Rolecop not Cop and there was no way you could possibly know his alignment as bulletproof is equally useful to both scum and town, and yet you never seemed to even consider the possibility that he could be scum.

Basically, I was too cynical to believe that you would trust him so implicitly. Sorry SMS.

I think my townie odd night vig claim was fairly good in backing down my lynch and to the quickness of Tom and Spotlight votes there was just enough suspicion to get me out of that hole, if it wasn't for just how poor my general day 1 play is I could have been much more undercover at that point so this is something I still need to work on for day 1 phases. Where as the town where unlikely to suspect Ron as his role doesn't seem to be scum despite the fact I suggested taking it because it has been used by scum in 2 of the PYP on MS Forums and the fact that it seemed Ron was the scum counter lynch to Nexus rather than you got them both and we just fell either side of the lynch to avoid being banged to rights either way.

At the end of the last day phase, I was convinced that you and SMS were scum, just based on your reactions to my spot about Nexus. When SMS flipped town, I really started to second guess myself and your vig claim just added to that. Well played indeed Swift.

Reading through the scum thread, it's pretty frustrating to see how close I came to getting taken out instead of a power role last phase, which was actually what I was aiming for.

• Paid Members

Something else I'll say, I did make a cock-up at one point, when I said that the rolecop wouldn't know alignment. In actuality they shouldn't know alignment. However I had said that the Framer would make someone show up as Mafia Goon to the Rolecop. That shouldn't have been included with that role in actual fact as it shouldn't have happened. Thankfully, SMS never once investigated a Vanilla, so it never became an issue. I originally wrote it that way because the Framer would have been useless if it only affected one of the cop types. But really, unless you know where the cop is going, it's useless anyway.

Janitor was wrongly dismissed by the scum, because with a rolecop/Janitor pairing, they could have (in theory, obviously SMS was the rolecop and would have stuffed this regardless) investigated some roles, killed them off, and if they were forced to claim, claim that role. Okay, anyone above them that went for it would know they were lying, but it outs vanillas if anyone argues the claim. If nobody argues it of course, free ride. Scum can claim the weak doc after they've killed the real one and, essentially, hidden the body.

Also, as will likely be seen in the scum QT, swift dismissed a few other roles for their team. Janitor as seen above, but then, Jailkeeper, bulletproof, Bomb, Framer and Neighborizor.

Jailkeeper - Either protect one of their own while preventing an action (great if it's a goon who looks like they might be taken out), or completely nullify a potential strong role the town might have. As shown in the game in the end, this was used to great effect with bristep.

Bulletproof - If you feel you have less chance of getting a good role, this is worth going for (it generally shouldn't be picked in the top half of the list, as it doesn't help town or scum more than other roles). As while it leaves someone as a basic goon, it means the vig can't take them out.

Bomb - As the Bulletproof, but it makes town more wary when you declare it, plus the bonus of taking out a vig if you do look suspect.

Framer - If you feel a certain player will be likely to draw the cop at night, and know they're town, you can make out they're scum with this. (It's also sometimes worth town going for this really late on if they don't feel they'll get anything else. If you get it, you know scum don't have it, so all cop/rolecop results are going to be true, while if you don't get it, you know it's in the game and to be careful).

Neighborizer - A very powerful role because during night phases you can talk to another town, potentially find out their role if you can get them to trust you, and once you have a little group of players you can talk with you can pass messages along and act extremely town, while working out the best ones to take out, and sewing seeds of doubt between all of them. of course it does take some doing, but if you can pull it off, it's brilliant.

• Paid Members

The 180 thing was just coincidence. It wasn't an attempt to communicate, SMS.

As for our night chat, of course, open it up. I'm on a phone right now so I can't do it myself.

• Paid Members
Once TDK and FG sulkquit it took a bit of the heart out of the game, and Lion started going the same way too. A very ill mannered game in the early days, and the later stages just ground on with low activity.

Woah there do not insinuate I 'sulkquit', I quit this game out of principle, I got absolutely hounded for wanting to play a patient game I put across that pretty much everyone who did in fact hound me was downright stupid for jumping on such a tact, and when I did that I got warned, for if I'm honest language and tone that did not herald a warning.

My quit was solely down to bullish modding that I felt was unnecessary.

The whole fun has gone out of these games however, the over analytical approach is getting ridiculous, you all went to lynch me after hardly any play, after I said I wanted to be patient in my gameplay. Christ sake if that's vote worthy, then what's the point in playing? Having to constantly defend yourself from over the top accusations is just annoying now, Town will never win a game as long as they live, due to this, scum work as a team, Town hound every little thing and just fuck it all up.

This game is going the way Soldat and Sensible Soccer.

Once TDK and FG sulkquit it took a bit of the heart out of the game, and Lion started going the same way too. A very ill mannered game in the early days, and the later stages just ground on with low activity.

Woah there do not insinuate I 'sulkquit', I quit this game out of principle, I got absolutely hounded for wanting to play a patient game I put across that pretty much everyone who did in fact hound me was downright stupid for jumping on such a tact, and when I did that I got warned, for if I'm honest language and tone that did not herald a warning.

My quit was solely down to bullish modding that I felt was unnecessary.

The whole fun has gone out of these games however, the over analytical approach is getting ridiculous, you all went to lynch me after hardly any play, after I said I wanted to be patient in my gameplay. Christ sake if that's vote worthy, then what's the point in playing? Having to constantly defend yourself from over the top accusations is just annoying now, Town will never win a game as long as they live, due to this, scum work as a team, Town hound every little thing and just fuck it all up.

This game is going the way Soldat and Sensible Soccer.

Again mate, I had 1 vote on me. If you thought there was merit in what Swift was saying then you should have voted. To not do so just looked highly suspect, and I'd have actually found you more town if you'd just stuck the vote on.

I didn't insinuate that you sulkquit, I flat out stated it. You did sulkquit, you got annoyed that you were being wagoned, started insulting people then quit because the mod gave you a completely warranted warning (whether it was PotKettleBlack or not).

One of the reasons these games are "going the way of Soldat and Sensible Soccer" (I don't get the reference but whatever) is because people are insulting other players and taking things way too seriously. Mike drew a line in the sand with his game, and if he breaks the rule himself (and going by his behaviour on MS there's every chance he will ;o) ) then he'll get reprimanded accordingly.

At the end of the day, it's just a game. What else should we do on day 1? Pussyfoot around everyone? Make sure nobody gets upset? Scum very rarely get lynched on day 1, it's a time for information gathering and looking at wagon activity. People take it way too personally or seriously when a wagon forms on them.

Cannot believe you helped me lynch a claimed BP.

I didn't deserve the win I played like shit. Didn't read most of the thread.

I'll take the blame for that one, I really thought he was scum.

• Paid Members
I didn't insinuate that you sulkquit, I flat out stated it. You did sulkquit, you got annoyed that you were being wagoned, started insulting people then quit because the mod gave you a completely warranted warning (whether it was PotKettleBlack or not)

Again I quit, because I was not having a heavyhanded Mod throwing warnings at me, when others within every other game before and this game after said something along the same lines yet haven't had shit.

The fact my name was dragged out in this game after I quit and I was insulted by many and no-one was warned shows the hypocrisy of it all. If I'd have called you all cunts for voting me I'd have accepted it, all I actually did was highlight how fucking moronic it was at lambasting someone who wanted to play a little more patiently. And what's that? The person I wanted to gain more information on ended up Town after a dumb slip up? Well I'll be, I was justified in my actions!

Oh and I feel I'd got out of the shit with my PM postings anyway, at the time of my quitting I felt I was actually safe.

Also ... If you don't get the reference don't try and draw a conclusion from it.

• Paid Members

TDK, I PM'd you your warning you'll remember. So how would you know that I hadn't warned others? For the record I did give further warnings out, and everyone else basically said "Sorry, wont happen again".

As far as the previous games having insults, that's exactly why the rule needed implementing. It was getting to the point people were complaining about the constant insults in the games. This means steps needed to be taken to cut it out. I also made it clear both before the game, and in the rules of this one, that insults would not be tolerated.

As far as heavy handed goes, how is "don't insult players" heavy handed? Heavy handed would have been modkilling you, or auto-throwing you out of the game. I did neither, I gave you a warning and told you not to do it again, exactly the same as I did to everyone else. I'd say that's pretty damned fair modding.

I am still struggling to understand the logic behind that decision, which not only lost us Snake, but also let scum know my important role leaving me an easy target as well.

I can't really speak for anybody else but it was a combination of the posts I found where El Nicko Loco tried to push Bullet Proof on you (obviously to try and protect you in retrospect) and just how hard you were trying to save him. You were Rolecop not Cop and there was no way you could possibly know his alignment as bulletproof is equally useful to both scum and town, and yet you never seemed to even consider the possibility that he could be scum.

Basically, I was too cynical to believe that you would trust him so implicitly. Sorry SMS.

I think my townie odd night vig claim was fairly good in backing down my lynch and to the quickness of Tom and Spotlight votes there was just enough suspicion to get me out of that hole, if it wasn't for just how poor my general day 1 play is I could have been much more undercover at that point so this is something I still need to work on for day 1 phases. Where as the town where unlikely to suspect Ron as his role doesn't seem to be scum despite the fact I suggested taking it because it has been used by scum in 2 of the PYP on MS Forums and the fact that it seemed Ron was the scum counter lynch to Nexus rather than you got them both and we just fell either side of the lynch to avoid being banged to rights either way.

At the end of the last day phase, I was convinced that you and SMS were scum, just based on your reactions to my spot about Nexus. When SMS flipped town, I really started to second guess myself and your vig claim just added to that. Well played indeed Swift.

Reading through the scum thread, it's pretty frustrating to see how close I came to getting taken out instead of a power role last phase, which was actually what I was aiming for.

My only problem with that is that I didn't get a scum read on him, he had a potential powerful town role, but was V/LA till towards the end of the days play.

Go back and look at how I keep asking for him to be allowed one more day to put up a defence.

If I wasn't happy with his response, I would of happily voted for him, but the fact nobody wanted to give him time to defend himself so early in the game is disappointing.

If we were a few more days into the game, we wouldn't have had time to possibly allow another day for discussion, but so early on in the game this should not be an issue.

If I believe someone is town or scum, I will stick to my decision and do what I think is right for whatever side I am on, so don't think that next time I try defending someone like that is because I am town as I could be scum ... but I could be town! ;)

• Paid Members

It's strange to be on the winning side this time...

As far as the next game goes, I'm following a set-up similar to this and I'll try have a sign-up thread in place for tomorrow. Obviously this is a larger game, so requires an appropriate number of players.

However, I'm going to wait two or even three weeks before I start the game, give you all a chance to recharge your batteries. If you want to sign up in advance feel free to send me a PM. Some of you have already signed up, but there's still plenty free spaces.

• Paid Members

I must apologise in advance, Ron. As I mentioned before, my schedule is such that I won't be able to take part in many games from now on; it wasn't my intention to be so lurky this game. I'll be skimming through it though, to see how everyone does, especially as I hope to mod more games too.

Archived