Pick Your Power Game Thread

Mike Castle

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

The Dead Topic - http://www.quicktopic.com/46/H/L6vRzKigk8Q3k

In which Lion admits he lied about the doc claim... which actually stuffed the game up royally for town in the LyLo phase...

Advice for the future everyone, NEVER lie about your role like that, it only serves to screw things up later down the line.

One other thing I'll point out, scum knew where the bomb was looooong before anyone else did due to everyone's willingness to claim stuff, for instance:

People claiming vanilla and that they had gone for X role. Claiming you were blocked (certain roles, like the bomb, don't inform you that you're blocked, so saying nothing would have been the better option there bristep) are the two main culprits there. Once that information was out, scum could begin working out where roles were, and who could be certain roles.

Interesting note, the following roles never showed up in the game:

Janitor

Tracker

Roleblocker

Framer

Weak Doc

Cop

Cop and Weak Doc were perhaps the two strongest roles town had, so I was shocked not a single person went for them. A solid tactic for any future games people may play is if you're at the arse end of the list, go for the really useful roles that shouldn't be missed, just in case the first one or two went for something else "so a useful role doesn't get NK'd" and then the rest pick other roles on the basis of "Those above me should have picked the important ones". I landed Cop right at the bottom of the list in the last PYP game on MS thanks to that logic.

Another thing I'll say is, don't be so reluctant to vote. We seem to spend the majority of day phases with most people's votes not being placed. Voting is the number 1 important thing town has, and it should be used. If your number 1 suspect is getting close to lynch, place it on your number 2. But have it doing something. A player not voting is a player not using everything he has to his full potential.

WHich brings me on to the "Quicklynch" issue, it's a quicklynch if we return from night, and half the players lynch someone else in short succession for no real reason other than "why not?" or "He seems scummy". Early in the game more discussion is extremely useful, the later in the game you get, the better the reads should be, and the less time should be required for a lynch. 5 days out of 7 would not have been a quick lynch, especially at that stage. It would have been a rather delayed lynch in fact. Whether something is a quick lynch or not depends, pretty much, solely on the conditions around it.

For instance, returning from night with a cop saying "I have a guilty on X", it's perfectly alright to just go "Vote: X". Of course, this changes entirely if it's likely a LyLo situation. In which case you want to be careful not to lynch wrong thanks to scum directing you. Outside of LyLo, go for it.

On the flip side, early game where you need to get reads, gain information, long days are useful. Day 1 and 2 are perhaps the most useful days for pressing people and gaining information to see where people back each other up. Day 3 and onwards delaying the lynch just to gain discussion for the sake of it can harm the game, as it drags more, people lose interest, and it creates a ton more pages than is really necessary making it much harder to re-read the thread if required.

Also, a mentioned before. Try and not claim your roles (and in this game, what roles you went for) without serious pressure. I know it can feel like you have a ton of pressure on you when you have 2 or 3 people in an argument with you and thinking you're scum, but when you have a game of 16 people, that's not even half the needed people to lynch, and those 2 or 3 could, in fact, be scum just pushing you hard. Reveal when you're due to be lynched.

In turn, when there's going to be a lynch, don't wait until 2 hours before deadline to pile the votes on, this is bad. (Unless you're scum, in which case managing to pull that off is a beauty) Reason being, it can lead to lynching an important role like a town cop. You give the person time to claim at around L-1. At which point you can then judge whether you believe his claim, are unsure, or don't believe it at all. If you don't believe it, you'd best make sure that you have a good reason for not believing it in case he flips town as that role (as you'll have a lot of explaining to do), if you're unsure or believe him, get the votes off him sharpish as he needs to survive to make use of the role. of course, if he claims vanilla... well you found him scummy enough to lynch before, that shouldn't stop a lynch either. So get 'er lynched.

Good game guys, I can't believe we won...we really did live on the edge throughout this game. The lack of day talk was tough. Luckily SMS didn't notice my slip, I tried to cover it by saying I thought swift had claimed town, and quite fortunately by the end of the QT night phase he actually seemed to think I was town.

I think Bristep had a good game, had he pushed his instincts and ignored some of our critical tripe the scum would have won. He wasn't the only one in the town who played well, all the scum team were frequently in the spotlight, we just somehow edged through.

As for the next game, I'm mod and while i create a signup thread I'm not going to start up for at least a couple of weeks. I think we need a little break from the game to recharge our batteries. So good game guys, enjoy your holidays and hope to see you in my mod game!

Yeah, your whole argument attacking my play style and chastising the town for "following strong players blindly" was well utilised, it's a one shot power though ;)

Well played Ron other that that, as I said when I cased on you there were no obvious slips, just a play style that alerted me.

Swift very well played again, we nearly got you at the end but Tom swayed our gaze.

Carbomb, well, you lurked, and you got through. It could have easily been you instead of ATG on day one but it wasn't so well done :)

I can't believe nobody went for the cop though! I left it alone because I figured I was a top contender for NK/blocks given my place on the draft, ah well.

Sorry for distracting the game regards TDK and Snake, Althought Snake's taken to accusing me of superOMGUS these days so maybe I'm not so sorry ;)

And Lion!! WTFIDDLE LIAR!

• Paid Members

Scum thread

http://www.quicktopic.com/45/H/hDFLc6Zu7DEj

You'll see from this that Kenny had Ron quite worried and it should be fairly easy to see why I stupidly let 2 of my side of the vote for Ron/Nexus die. I was so concerned about other things that I didn't focus on what that would mean to the game upon restart.

Damn it! :angry:

Nice try guys but we threw the game away after the lynching of Snake.

I have to admit to missing that comment Ron made about the bomb, but had I been alive I might have discovered when checking back through everything, but we will never know.

How nobody but Tom picked up on that 180 comment made by the scum was beyond me as I noticed it straight away.

I didn't suspect Bristep, despite no results, as I felt he played an honest game and couldn't see anything scummy about his play.

Lions lie was pathetic from such a usually good player, Tom and Kenny were good new additions, who I hope we see in future games.

Please can any townie who voted for Snake, please explain to me why they felt we should lynch an important power role so early in the game, without giving them chance to try and defend themselves?

I am still struggling to understand the logic behind that decision, which not only lost us Snake, but also let scum know my important role leaving me an easy target as well.

Well done scum, but we deserved to lose, end of story.

• Paid Members

Aaaargh.

I can't believe I let myself get so distracted in trying to find the blocker (and then the Doctor :cry: ) that I completely ignored my earlier suspicions about Ron and Swift, two of the people I'd suspected throughout the game.

And Ron actually DID bus Nexus!

Oh well, it'll teach me not to be so much of smart arse next time and just go after who looks the most scummy.

• Paid Members

I think my townie odd night vig claim was fairly good in backing down my lynch and to the quickness of Tom and Spotlight votes there was just enough suspicion to get me out of that hole, if it wasn't for just how poor my general day 1 play is I could have been much more undercover at that point so this is something I still need to work on for day 1 phases. Where as the town where unlikely to suspect Ron as his role doesn't seem to be scum despite the fact I suggested taking it because it has been used by scum in 2 of the PYP on MS Forums and the fact that it seemed Ron was the scum counter lynch to Nexus rather than you got them both and we just fell either side of the lynch to avoid being banged to rights either way.

Goddammit. That does it, next time I play and Ron plays, I'm voting for him all the bloody time. This is twice you've done this to me now, I believed in you Ron, why do you hurt me so much?

I feel really silly now. I had a vote on Swift, but I felt so sure tom jumped on far too quick. Balls.

• Paid Members

Something I do think, if I run a PYP on here again, the vig roles swing things into scum's direction more than I realized. So I'll have to either drop the vig roles entirely, or limit their usage in some way (perhaps a single vig which can't be used consecutively). It never really was an issue on MS as, even with scum getting both vigs AND the Universal Backup, we managed to lynch them all on consecutive days (beginning day one even) so we never really had much of an issue. This game showed how much damage they can do to town's chances.

• Paid Members

I should just add that the first day number thing was something I intend to use to find scum on the first day, but in gettting a scum role I couldn't use it properly as it basically highlights the likelyhood of scum being 1 of a group of 3 or 4 number together and then no other scum there, but given that may have pointed out both Ron and Carbomb position I decided to never properly use it or mention it.

Archived