Phil Collins jacks it in.

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members
VETERAN PHIL COLLINS has vowed to end his rock career and has issued an extraordinary apology for his success.

The legendary rocker is turning his back on his profession after forty years in the limelight and he's certain his absence won't be lamented.

He said: "I don't think anyone's going to miss me."

The former GENESIS drummer, who has sold over 150million records, regrets that he became a superstar.

He added: "I'm sorry that it was all so successful. I honestly didn't mean it to happen like that."

"It's hardly surprising that people grew to hate me."

The 60-year-old, who lives in Switzerland, has suffered a raft of health problems over recent years.

His hearing has been badly affected by playing live, he has dislocated vertebra and nerve damage in his hands which makes it virtually impossible for him to play his beloved drums.

And he says he know feels an outsider in an industry he used to dominate.

He went on: "I look at the MTV Music Awards and I think: 'I can't be in the same business as this'.

"I don't really belong to that world and I don't think anyone's going to miss me.

"I'm much happier to write myself out of the script entirely."

And he's already working on his exit strategy: "I'll go on a mysterious biking holiday and never return," he added in an interview with FHM.

"That would be a great way to end the story wouldn't it?"

Anyone going to miss old Phil then? And do you accept his apology? I thought he'd already had a few Farewell tours. I didnt realise he returned to retire again. He sounds a physical wreck by all accounts.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

Possibly it's because Easy Lover was number 1 the day I was born, or the more accurate answer that I have shocking taste in music, but I've always had a real soft spot for Phil Collins.

Something Happened on the Way to Heaven is a tune!

• Paid Members

...Hits is a fantastic album.

Collins is a great drummer too and unfairly became an easy target for clowns like Noel Gallagher in the late 90's.

I wonder who will be first to break out the American Psycho quotes....

People moan that Genesis became shit when he took over. Well, I wouldn't know cos I'm not a huge fan of the band anyway, but this is a class song.

Solo-wise, Collins had loads of great pop tunes. I'm sure he was probably an asshole but I haven't read up on his private life. I'm happier to stay oblivious and just enjoy his music.

• Paid Members

I enjoy his music in a sort of every now and then light hearted way and there's some great stuff he's done but I always get the impression he is a bit of a smug twat some how.

"In the air tonight" is a great song. I like a few of his others as well. My dad used to listen to him all the time and I got sick of it but in hindsight he did some good stuff.

In the air tonight

Against all odds

Invisible touch

• Paid Members
I guess the dislocated vertebra has effected the way he walks? Poor guy, that's all he had going for him.

:laugh: I liked that. Never thought an I Can't Dance lyric would be referenced when talking about his crippled state, but fair play.

When did the Phil Collins hate come about? Is it soley because of the Noel Gallagher slagging or was he seen as a prick before then. Buster is tremendous, its so enjoyable. My mate is a massive Phil Collins fan, so these day I'm sort of Philled out on him, because he'd play Phil Collins and Genesis all day at college and at his house. Taking It All To Hard, Land of Confusion, You Can Wear My Hat, Something Happened On The Way To Heaven and Jesus He Knows Me are belters that I've never gotten sick of though.

• Paid Members
When did the Phil Collins hate come about? Is it soley because of the Noel Gallagher slagging or was he seen as a prick before then.

It didn't help him that Page & Plant tried to blame him for the Zeppelin shambles at Live Aid.

• Paid Members
I guess the dislocated vertebra has effected the way he walks? Poor guy, that's all he had going for him.

:laugh: I liked that. Never thought an I Can't Dance lyric would be referenced when talking about his crippled state, but fair play.

When did the Phil Collins hate come about? Is it soley because of the Noel Gallagher slagging or was he seen as a prick before then. Buster is tremendous, its so enjoyable. My mate is a massive Phil Collins fan, so these day I'm sort of Philled out on him, because he'd play Phil Collins and Genesis all day at college and at his house. Taking It All To Hard, Land of Confusion, You Can Wear My Hat, Something Happened On The Way To Heaven and Jesus He Knows Me are belters that I've never gotten sick of though.

It was well before then. He was ubiquitous in the 80s which always breeds hatred, plus he was a high profile Tory which didn't help. No one likes an unashamed Tory in the music industry. Genesis did get shit under his command too, but I reckon it was inevitable anyway,. He's done some cracking stuff in his time though, and the fact he became a lazy shorthand for naffness used by comedy hacks is almost a shame, but to be honest it's got to be someone and he was a bit of a cunt.

If you can listen to More Fool Me with a dry eye, you've no heart.

Archived