UFC on Versus 3: Sanchez vs. Kampmann * Pre-Post Show Discussion *

Egg Shen

I've got my hopes up for a real war in the main event so I hope I don't end up disappointed. I've picked Sanchez purely because i'm a bigger fan of his, but it really is a 50/50 fight. All the fights on the under card look great as well, i'm really looking forward to seeing Palhares vs Branch and Tavares vs Roller. It seems like every card these days is stacked from top to bottom, it's great!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

2am mate.

If you're gonna Sky+ it I'd go past the listed time. It's listed till 4/4.30 I'd record till 5am to be safe cos Fight Night's sometimes run over by 10-15 mins and obviously you don't wanna be missing the end of the main event.

• Paid Members
Man, I shiver every single time I see Arianny - GAWD DAMN! Really looking forward to this card, hope we're not dissapointed. Kampmann-Sanchez deffinately has war written all over it, just hope we see the Sanchez of old and it may turn out that way

Well if he looks like he did in his last fight against Paulo Thiago we should be in for a treat. I think he really turned a corner in that one. He was coming off back to back losses to BJ Penn and John Hathaway and it seemed like his confidence might be rocked.

And then Thiago was kicking his arse in round 1 of their fight but somewhere in that fight Diego dug down and transformed into a fuckin monster. Remember this

diego2.gif

• Paid Members

Man what a fight Sanchez vs Kampmann was. It turned out to be just the kind of war we were all hoping for.

I thought I'd predicted it perfectly until they announced Diego had won. I felt Kampmann did just enough to win round 2 despite being rocked and he clearly won round 1. The 3rd was Diego's. Again, like I said about the Ring/Fukuda decision you can't really complain about a fight this close. I can see valid arguments for why someone would think either Sanchez/Kampmann won so it's not that controversial imo.

Amazing fight, early FOTY contender for me.

I thought the Munoz/Dollaway stoppage was fine. Had Yamasaki let it go on it would just have been unnecessary damage for CB, no need for it to carry on at that point CB was defenseless.

Can't be arsed to go through everything cos I'm knackered but fuck me Shane Roller by huge KO :omg: whoda thunk it? Good little fight and totally different style of fight than I expected. Excellent UFC debut for Roller over a tough opponent.

Nice win for Brian Bowles too after a rough start.

• Paid Members
Sanchez and Kampmann got a $160,000 FOTN bonus each for the main event. The normal bonuses for KO and Submission were only $40,000.

Dana's really on a tear against the lay and pray guys at the moment isn't he? That reward will sure get other fighters slugging it out though so a great business move by him.

Enjoyed this event, and the main event was a war. Wieldman looked good for his relative inexperience, Roller scored a cracking KO, Bowles made me howl by catching Page in a Guillotine, again and Munoz stopped the Dolloway train impressively. Wish I could watch the 3d version of this show but don't have the needed equipment, rubbish.

I have to admit, I was slightly surprised by all the controversy surrounding the scoring of the main event. I assumed Diego was going to get the decision.

It was one of those fights where, although I personally preferred the style and contribution of Kampmann, I could see that Sanchez's aggression and toughness would win him points. People will say "but Kampmann landed more clean punches!" or whatever, but I think Diego's freakish toughness has to be taken into account when judging them. Who looked more likely to stop the fight at any point? I'd say Diego. Yes, he was taking more good shots and they were busting up his face, but he was able to walk through it and keep coming. Kampmann, on the other hand, you suspected could be finished if one of Diego's combinations has a bit more accuracy on them. He was rocked a couple of times and taken out of his game at several points in the fight.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that you want to make a judgement about a fight like this on damage, and it's not an easy thing to judge. I think the judges saw that Diego was never perturbed even despite his cuts and gave him the benefit of the doubt. I mean, imagine Diego wasn't cut by those punches for a second, as if he was one of those leather-skinned dudes who never open up. Would you have scored the fight for Kampmann still or might you have said "Kampmann's technically good, but he didn't really hurt Diego enough to expect a win?". Winning a fight in MMA with counter punches is never going to be easy unless you avoid getting hit yourself. There are too many other places to win and lose points besides how many punches you can land.

That said, in my ideal world, I would have said "Kampmann picked him apart, fucked up his face and left the cage in better shape: he won the fight". But I knew it wasn't going to happen. Sometimes, as we all know, there's a discrepancy between who wins the "fight" and who wins the mixed martial arts contest.

Great fight though and a nice little card overall. Nice to hear about the mega bonuses.

People will say "but Kampmann landed more clean punches!" or whatever, but I think Diego's freakish toughness has to be taken into account when judging them.

Seriously? You think a judge should consider the technical ability of a fighter less if he's facing someone who's "tough"?

Who looked more likely to stop the fight at any point? I'd say Diego. Yes, he was taking more good shots and they were busting up his face, but he was able to walk through it and keep coming. Kampmann, on the other hand, you suspected could be finished if one of Diego's combinations has a bit more accuracy on them. He was rocked a couple of times and taken out of his game at several points in the fight.

That may be the case, but the fact is that Diego's striking doesn't have more accuracy, does it? You can't judge a fight saying "well, if this guy had a bit better boxing he would have put the other guy away".

I guess what I'm trying to say is that you want to make a judgement about a fight like this on damage, and it's not an easy thing to judge. I think the judges saw that Diego was never perturbed even despite his cuts and gave him the benefit of the doubt. I mean, imagine Diego wasn't cut by those punches for a second, as if he was one of those leather-skinned dudes who never open up. Would you have scored the fight for Kampmann still or might you have said "Kampmann's technically good, but he didn't really hurt Diego enough to expect a win?". Winning a fight in MMA with counter punches is never going to be easy unless you avoid getting hit yourself. There are too many other places to win and lose points besides how many punches you can land.

C'mon man, you can't say "imagine if those crisp, technically superior punches hadn't cut Sanchez up". Those punches were excellent, and the first round was a classic example of why Sanchez will never be at the top of the welterweight division or the lightweight division.

Kampmann made some critical errors in rounds two & three of engaging in a slug-fest with Sanchez. If he had continued to fight as he had in the first, avoiding the takedowns, boxing smart on the outside and continually peppering Diego with those jabs he would have won the fight.

He didn't though. He allowed Sanchez back into a fight that he really had no business winning. I give Diego kudos for overcoming that first round though and managing to keep plugging away, he definately deserved the win.

Once the fight finished thefirst thing I thought was, Kampmann won the fight but the judges will give it to Diego. He won because of his pressuring and quick flurries of punches which the judges remember. It's the same way that Leonard Garcia always wins decisions despite not winning in they eyes of most people.

Seriously? You think a judge should consider the technical ability of a fighter less if he's facing someone who's "tough"?

That may be the case, but the fact is that Diego's striking doesn't have more accuracy, does it? You can't judge a fight saying "well, if this guy had a bit better boxing he would have put the other guy away".

I'm not saying you judge toughness on reputation, obviously, but if a guy is able to take all these "crisp, technically superior punches" and continue to keep coming forward unperturbed, how much can they really be worth? The point, I suppose, is the difference between the first and then second/third rounds. In the first, they were clean, Kampmann was quick and they score more because they're unreturned. But in the second and third rounds, when Kampmann is taking shots and getting rocked, are his "crisp, technically superior punches" really worth more than Diego's wild flurries? You can't judge a fight based on technique alone, you judge based on effectiveness, and Diego's insane flurries may have had a lower accuracy rate, but when you throw so many you can afford that, can't you?

I just checked the FightMetric and with regard to significant strikes it shows, by round, 32-10 Kampmann, 26-22 Kampmann and 19-19. Now, some people (and FM) may say "he landed more, he should have won the fight" and that's fair enough. But what I'm saying is, it also shows that nearly everything Sanchez landed was thrown with power, and it's unsurprising - and even reasonable - for a judge to say "well, Diego landed more power shots in 2 and 3, visibly rocked Kampmann more, he should win the rounds/fight".

I guess it comes down to what people define "effective striking" to be. I have a feeling too many people believe it needs to be "efficient striking", because if a guy lands 20 hard shots out of a 100 and his opponent lands an equally hard 15 out of 15, in my book you have to give it to the guy who landed more hard shots. Again, though, this is the side of the argument I hate to be on. I don't really like Diego or fighters like him - I'm all about efficiency when it comes to personal preference - but it always bemuses me when fighters are surprised that the lean approach doesn't always convince the judges.

Archived