UFC on Versus 3: Sanchez vs. Kampmann * Pre-Post Show Discussion *

Egg Shen

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was indeed a blinding little show! Some of these 'Fight Night' type shows fall abit flat for me sometimes but this one totally delivered. Exciting submission decision for Bowles, devastating KO's for Pokrajac, Roller and Munoz. I thought the Weidman-Sakara fight was a right little war and Kampmann-Sanchez fired on all cylinders despite the controversial decision. UFC is a great place this year

It was a fun show last night. I thought Sanchez was going to win the decision but wouldn't have been at all surprised if Kampmann had won it, it was as close a fight as I expected it to be. Both guys looked impressive, I wouldn't mind seeing a rematch thats for sure. Bowles looked good as well, Page came out strong but Bowles dealt with it well and ended up with a nice sub.

• Paid Members

as far as TV shows go, it was a pretty awesome show.

Sanchez/Kampmann - this will definately be on the 'Best of 2011' DVD, an absolute barnburner. All debate is about scoring but i think it could have gone either way, i think the judges scored it based on Diego's constant pressure, Kampmann was clealrly landing more clean shots, but Diego never stopped. Kampmann took round 1, I had Diego taking round 2 mainly down to the twice he buckled Kampmann's knees at the cage and the 3rd to Diego because he scored a takedown in a round that otherwise even. Regardless it was a brutal, bloody fight...I don't think ive ever seen a face as busted up after a fight as Diego's was.

Munoz/Dolloway - i knew this would be a case of where it took place, Munoz standing is a threat to anyone because he hits so fucking hard. He got Dolloway and sealed the deal, that's all it takes. If that hadn't happened i fancied Dolloway but that's the beauty of MMA.

Sakara/Weidman - another nice little fight, enjoyed the hell out of the first round...after that Weidman's superior grappling prevailed. For a guy with only 4 fights to take out veteran in his prime like Sakara was f'n impressive, and that he was willing to stand and trade with a guy as dangerous as Sakara shows that Weidman's got some fucking nuts. I expect big things! only problem is now, he has to develop under the UFC banner which could be as much a curse and it is a blessing.

Roller/Tavares - WEC representing!! Holyfuck, this was one of the KO's of the year. After round 1 i don't think anyone was predicting this, Tavares was giving Roller a bit of a standup lesson, then one shot ends it. Reminded me of the Eastman/Lutter KO from back in the day, just a punch from nowhere. Hello highlight reel.

Bowles/Page - a carbon copy of the first fight! Bowles clearly didn't show sings of ringrust, back down to business. Glad he did too because Bowles is an exciting guy to watch and i wanna see him get a rematch with Cruz. 135 is looking healthy :)

Cracking wee show...i aint read the rest of the thread because im hoping to avoid the spoilers of the remaining prelims.

Dana giving the fighters such a large bonus just sends the message that having "exciting" fights is far more important than winning and will lead to fighters colluding with each other to have exciting fights IMO. To me, the most exciting fights happen when 2 fighters want to win and the excitement comes organically, not from a mutual desire to "entertain the fans" (and Dana).

• Paid Members

diegosanchezface.jpg

Jesus fuckin Christ it's even worse than I remembered.

Gotta hand it to him, he doesn't quit no matter what state he's in. Even when BJ Penn made a goat's fanny out of his forehead the ref had to stop it cos Diego wouldn't have gave up. I don't think there's anyone in MMA with more heart than Diego.

Meltzer was talking about howw Diego wins dec. fights because of his constant pressure instead of skills,, this shows it AGAIN. Stupid judges. Kampmann stuffed 99 procent of the takedowns, landed more shots and did WAAAAAAAY more damage... how he didnt win that fight is amazing... what a shit judges.

Good show overall :) Had fun watching.

• Paid Members
Meltzer was talking about howw Diego wins dec. fights because of his constant pressure instead of skills,, this shows it AGAIN. Stupid judges. Kampmann stuffed 99 procent of the takedowns, landed more shots and did WAAAAAAAY more damage... how he didnt win that fight is amazing... what a shit judges.

Meltzer did still go with Diego as the winner of the fight, though. I agreed too. For me, the first was clearly Kampmann's round and the third belonged to Diego. The second was interesting in that though Kampmann landed more, Diego landed the better strikes and certainly Kampmann looked the more shaky fighter. For me, there was no doubt in my mind that Diego was the winner but I could see why judges might have gone with Kampmann in the second. An excellent fight- loved it!

The undercard was lots of fun. Ray Longo's protege has plenty of potential and put away Sakara in really impressive fashion. He's definitely one to watch. The opener was really good whilst it lasted and is just the kind of action the lighter weight fighters usually bring. I thought the Dolloway stoppage win was premature but the ref had a much better view of it than we did at home, and as Rogan said, Mario doesn't usually jump in early. Roller's knockout was a thing of beauty- just perfect timing. Finally, how fucking jacked was that little ref? Bloody hell was he massive.

• Paid Members

thought the camera team did an awful job of clearing up the Dolloway stoppage, a few times Rogan was trying to explain it was right and every time they cut the replay short, Dolloway was clearly in dream land for a few seconds.

Great show from top to bottom on the main card. Have only seen the prelims that were shown on ESPN.

I think the Sanchez and Kampmann fight was really close, and as mentioned before, if the fight had gone exactly as it did, but minus Diego's cuts, people may have a different view on it.

Weidmann looked impressive against Sakara. Sakara fought well, but Weidmann took it all and dominated on the ground.

The Dollaway stoppage was right I think. He was definitely counting stars before he came back round just as the ref stopped it. If it hadn't have been stopped there, it would have been unneccessary extra damage taken for him.

Bowles vs Page. Those smaller guys can really go.

• Paid Members
thought the camera team did an awful job of clearing up the Dolloway stoppage, a few times Rogan was trying to explain it was right and every time they cut the replay short, Dolloway was clearly in dream land for a few seconds.

Yeah, viewers at home didn't get a good view of Dolloway's face during and after those punches, which is what Rogan was picking up on in justifying Yamazaki's decision. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt- if it had been Yves Lavigne officiating then I'd be much more sympathetic with Dolloway.

• Paid Members

same time, i didn't know that. Mental..wonder what the odds on that would have been?

Great comeback by Bowles though, fair play to him...he was complaining that he thought he was kind of the forgotten man of the WEC coming into the UFC, it was awesome to see him comeback and look so good.

Archived