Steve Justice

• Paid Members

The general position on registration is as follows. Under the

Representation of the People Acts, all residents are required to give the

Electoral Registration Officer information for the purposes of compiling

the register. This is done annually by the sending of a registration form

to all households in the area. In effect therefore, it is compulsory to

be registered provided the persons concerned are eligible to be

registered, by nationally, age and residence at a particular address.

Some residents choose to withhold information because they do not wish to

be registered. The ERO is entitled to take legal action to secure their

details for registration and that is a matter for the ERO to decide.

The register is a public document, is `published', and kept available for

inspection at the Council Offices. There is also an edited register and

electors are able to opt out from having their details appear in this

version of the register. The full register has restrictions placed on the

uses to which the information on it can be put but the edited register has

no such restrictions. The full register is supplied to credit reference

agencies and certain other statutory bodies, as well as to political

parties and elected representatives upon request. It can be used for

credit checking, and for guarding against money laundering activities, but

cannot be sold for other commercial uses such as sending advertising

material by post (except for political campaigning purposes).

If your details are available online, it is unlikely this is as a result

of the use or sale of the register because of the restrictions I have

referred to above. Companies such as 192.com do not obtain register

details from me and, in fact, I would be unable to supply them with

anything other than the edited register.

http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/remo..._electoral_roll

• Paid Members

Just to warn you, if you aint on the register at the address you claim you are living at, your credit rating gets fucked. I had moved into my new property and the electoral roll only gets updated twice a year. I was trying to get a new mobile contract and couldnt pass their bloody credit rating! After investigating it turned out it was because I wasnt on the electoral roll and once it was updated my rating went from FAIR to EXCELLENT.

I think you can ask for your details to be hidden on the electoral roll, so they aren't shared out to anyone who wants to pay for them.

The fact you actually have to opt out is a fucking disgrace though. Being able to purchase the electoral roll for marketing purposes stinks.

• Moderators
Just to warn you, if you aint on the register at the address you claim you are living at, your credit rating gets fucked. I had moved into my new property and the electoral roll only gets updated twice a year. I was trying to get a new mobile contract and couldnt pass their bloody credit rating! After investigating it turned out it was because I wasnt on the electoral roll and once it was updated my rating went from FAIR to EXCELLENT.

Had the exact same problem when getting a phone contract. It's just an auto-fail if the address you give them isn't the same as the one where you're registered on the electoral roll.

Had the exact same problem when getting a phone contract. It's just an auto-fail if the address you give them isn't the same as the one where you're registered on the electoral roll.

Is that a fact? I got two new mobile phone contracts when I was living in Leicester and Wolverhampton even though I was registered to vote in Nottingham. For a while, I was receiving mail at five different addresses.

• Paid Members

Most forms ask for every address you've been at in the past two years, which is meant to get round the problem of you having moved since the last time it was updated. If none of the addresses you give match it might be an autofail, but if it's just a case of you moving house, the worst that would happen is that it counts against you (eg, if you move home a lot.)

Most forms ask for every address you've been at in the past two years, which is meant to get round the problem of you having moved since the last time it was updated. If none of the addresses you give match it might be an autofail, but if it's just a case of you moving house, the worst that would happen is that it counts against you (eg, if you move home a lot.)

I do move home a lot. I've lived in 8 different places in the last 10 years.

Archived