A delicate issue...

rocky64

Now before you all jump the gun, let me explain.

One thing i've often found difficult is keeping up with wrestling when in a relationship. The reason is because i'm very fucking worried about what my partners response maybe and fear rejection and i was wandering how many over people have trouble coming out as a wrestling fan? Secondly any stories about coming out as a wrestling fan?

Luckily for me my last three partners have known. Sean, my previous partner used to tell me to stay away if it was on and get out of my system before i went to see him. The one before actually had the same dilemna as me and it was coming to the time iMPACT was on and i decided to flick it on his eyes lit up and our relationship became centred around wrestling and was actually really sad looking back on it but at the same time it was awseme as i had someone to watch wrestling with something i now dont and its a bit of a dirty secret for me is anyone else in same boat??

I also find if im reading a wrestling website i will close the browser when others are looking!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Explain that you've grew up watching it, and also explain that although peoples 1st assumption of wrestling is that everything is fake, and that all the move are scripted, tell the person that its about the art of putting a match on between 2 people, and thats what is entertaining about it.

I've never got the big deal. It's a TV show, no more, no less. So you spend four or five hours of your week watching a TV show? Whats the big deal? This is a country that embraces shows like the X-Factor and Big Brother. There are far worse things out there than wrestling.

As dumb and as ridiculous as it can be at times, it's really not hard to see why wrestling is so entertaining, particularly in this day and age, where wrestling is more mainstream and you can turn on your TV without hearing Hulk Hogan or The Ultimate Warrior scream nonsensical shit at the top of their lungs. People always go on about how they don't like to admit they watch it but I've never met anyone that really gives that much of a shit, because its really not that big of a deal. Granted, I don't talk about it if I've got no reason to but the people that I do know don't even understand it enough to care.

As long as you're not an absolute idiot whose live revolves around it, who absolutely obsesses with it and still acts like a big kid when it comes to it, I really don't see why it should be a problem for anyone to accept.

coming out as a wrestling fan wtf lol its not exactly a embarrassing thing to like and if your embarrassed to be a fan why do you watch it

I love wrestling its peoples attitude towards it that put me off even talking about it nevermind watching it.

i hate the You do know its fake? speech

Whenever I get the whole Fake speil, I just go Pre-Determined, Not Fake. You can't deny Gravity & You can't Fake Impact, especially doing it 5 - 6 nights a week, 200 - 300 & odd days a year.

Or, I just go "Really" sarcastically with a :omg: look & then proceed to belittle them & talk with them as though the Films & TV Shows they choose to watch & talk about are all real. Absolutely great when you then make them feel stupid about the shows or films they talk about and they then realise the things they're talking about from shows or films amongst people arnt actually real either, it's like reality just hits them in the Face that they can't say anything about something when they realise the shit they watch.

;)

I find it embarrassing to admit, maybe because im female and people seem to see it as a slightly stranger hobby for a girl? I remember years ago when i was at university and procrastinating, i would be on the internet looking at wrestling websites and be deathly scared i would get caught. Thankfully I have a lot more confidence now and don't care is much if someone knows

• Paid Members

When I met my missus, I hid all my video's in the back of my wardrobe and went through a pretence for a few weeks of saying I only recorded it for my brothers and shit like that. In the end my gobby little brother told her anyway. She was fine with it. She still thinks I'm odd but we've been together for 13 years.

It's one of those things, if someone doesn't accept that you like what you like, they aren't worth having as a friend or whatever.

• Paid Members

If anyone that knows me doesn't like me watching wrestling then they can go fuck themselves. It's only wrestling, it's not like I've raped someone!

My point is - it's only wrestling, who cares what people think of it. As long as you enjoy it, then surely that’s what matters.

• Paid Members

I didn't get an option. The day I got with my girlfriend was the day before I promoted a show. The title belt in my living room was the big giveaway on that one.

To answer your query though, don't worry about it. You know it's fake, so's Coronation Street. People still watch soaps in their millions and emotionally invest in the story lines, so why is it not kosher to be able to do the same with professional wrestling? Hell, take a film series like Die Hard. It's a lad's film, yet the fight sequences in there are "fake" in the sense they're choreographed. Does that make you enjoy it any less? No.

It's oily men who don't hit each other? Well, fuck me. Millions of guys football every weekend and that's 22 sweaty men running up and down a field in shorts, who fall over as soon as they're tapped.

It's not something I'd bring up on a first date, but if you're in a relationship with someone then as other people have said, there's no way you should even concern yourself with hiding the TV shows you like. I mean, most lasses I've been out with love Sex & the City (and from the way they look to the examples of four promiscuous middle-aged fishwives created by a gay man for life lessons, they're every bit as obsessed by that dreadful show as we are writing on a message board about wrestling). I've never met a bloke yet who would wilfully watch that heap of shit, and yet women don't make a big thing of hiding their SATC DVDs the first time they bring you back to the flat.

Add to that the fact every lass I meet now seems to plan her saturday nights around watching a bald pastie salesman fixing up a load of desperate orange munters with talentless gobshites on fucking Take Me Out, and the fact I like wrestling is the least of my worries.

Archived