A delicate issue...

rocky64

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I get the impression that some people on here would rather tell their partner that they've got AIDS than say they like wrestling.

Nah. If you tell them about the wrestling, you never get to give them that surprise.

I've honestly never had this dilemma.

I couldn't hide it from my ex-girlfriend, even if I had wanted to, because on one of our first night's in we went to Blockbusters and I went completely spanners when I saw they had 'Survivor Series 91' in the used section. Quite why Blockbusters, in 2004, had used VHS is beyond me. But, it was in Kenilworth.

I felt no urge to hide it from my current girlfriend, either, and rather sweetly for our first Valentines day (we'd been together a month, maybe less) she bought me the John Cena boxset. And, she moved in with me so it can't be that big a deal.

To be honest, wrestling is a pretty big part of who I am and it'd be mental to try and hide that from the people i'm close to.

• Paid Members

I've never got why wrestling is seen as such a shameful thing to like.

I've never hidden my love for wrestling from any of my past girlfriends and my current girlfriend (who still sees it as "a bit gay") will happily sit through a PPV or shoot interview and has been along to a few of the shows that I've announced on..

• Paid Members
If anyone that knows me doesn't like me watching wrestling then they can go fuck themselves. It's only wrestling, it's not like I've raped someone!

To be fair you don't know with this place as of late.

• Paid Members

All my mates, family, missus know im a fan, infact they know im quite obsessed. Jokingly take the piss at first, its fair enough, i watch men jump around and fight in pants, knowing fine well ive read what the ending is going to be before watching it.

Non of them have any problem with it at all, in fact, if any of them spot something wrestling related, such as a poster, a figure, an advert for a new game, they generally tell me and its pretty cush.

Just be straight up about it, if you dont take it seriously and get worried etc, they generally wont and just.. it goes by you know. Obviously, it helps if you have sound friends in the first place like.

I remember when me and my girlfriend moved in together, i was flicking through the channels and put TNA on, it started the whole general 'coming out' thing, there was nowt to it, i explained id always watched it and never grown out of it.. shes not a fan these days what so ever, but told me when she was younger she used to have royal rumbles with her bro and sisters and how she was always the legion of doom - obviously made me chuckle.

She told her brother and he ended up giving me a full set of wwf trding cards from 91ish he had randomly kept in a shoe box. I ended up taking her to see Osaka Pro when we went to Japan, she enjoied it... because it was fun.

I will admit though, i have a spare room in out house, she has been nice enough to let me 'have' that room, and its chocka block of wrestling shite.. figures, dvds, posters etc etc etc... loads and loads of it.

When people come round for a meal, i show them the room because it is quite "fucking hell.. mental", due to that being the most common reply. Its all cool though, i advise you just to try and play it cool really, just laugh it off.. like i said, if you hang with sound and good people, they arnt really gonna flame you at any chance are they?

Maybe ive just been lucky, i dont know

• Moderators
I get the impression that some people on here would rather tell their partner that they've got AIDS than say they like wrestling.

I do find it really funny that the OP is openly gay and totally cool with sharing that, but won't tell people he's a wrestling fan. Even the hangover of many years of homophobic stigma don't compare with the dorkiness of being a wrestling fan!

• Paid Members

I do find it really funny that the OP is openly gay and totally cool with sharing that, but won't tell people he's a wrestling fan. Even the hangover of many years of homophobic stigma don't compare with the dorkiness of being a wrestling fan!

Innit. In fact, when I first saw the title and the first few lines of his post, I thought he'd posted this in the wrong section and that he was looking for advice about coming out as gay. No, apparently it's something even more shameful than that. Plonker.

Isn't the topic starter the same guy that posted in the 'cringe' thread as being known all over the land as a wrestling fan or some shit?

Not to sound homophobic or owt but I'd rather watch Wrestlemania 20 in the middle of a busy place whilst wearing John Cena gear than even consider taking or giving a backdoor-driver. Credit for being out as a gay but stop being ashamed of wrestling, both are who you are. Can't add more than whats already been said earlier in the thread.

Yeah here's the post

Oh my god bear in mind i am 21 and ought to know better.

I do the hulk hogan strut into every night club i go into (i go clubbing 3+ time a week)

I do scott hall trademark poses and i know i look a dick when doing it, especially the hair flick as i have short hair lol but the best thing is alot of ppl copy them now and have no idea behind it.

I do the old nwo arm wave and point as freinds approach.

A lot of people on the gay scene know me as freakzilla and i also try when chatting people up to use as many scott stiener esque rhymes and quotes as possible ad they work all the time!

I do a lot of ric flair woos and once i thumped someone off a podium in the club and wood and my freinds all wood back.

In more or less every fight i have ever had i have used some kind of wrestler manerism or move.

My last name is wood and i ask people if they can smell what the wood is cooking. but then again a lot of people do call me the wood.

I awnser the phone by saying hey and then hey yo after there reply.

I once put a pub window through with a beer keg and immediatly broke out into the austin theme as the police arrived and acted completly like austin even attempting to stun a copper, i got as far as kicking him and got battered.

I do wrestler poses in the mirror,

ive sat on the toilet and spoke as if cutting a promo to myself.

God loads of stuff thats worse then this haha

So you act like that but are embarassed by wrestling? If I did all that even my non wrestling mates would cotton on to the fact I was a wrestling fan. Sure you just aren't worried potential blokes will realise your entire nightout is a gimmick & a work taken from wrestling and you hid the real you under a fantasyland of your own creation? Or did you just make it all upto create some discussion. I don't know I'm not a doctor.

• Paid Members

I have to say, I read the opening post extremely wrong. I thought this thread was about your partners feeling insecure about you watching wrestling because they didn't like you looking at men in pants other than themselves. My bad.

• Paid Members
So a gay guy wants to explain to his partners why he likes watching two half naked men get physical, yet the rest of the wrestling fanbase have to explain and sell this love of pseudo-homo eroticism to girlfriends?

Bollocks. You don't "have to" sell it to them any more than they have to sell Sex In The City, soaps or reality codswallop to us.

• Paid Members

I didnt "Come out" that im a fan, although i know its everybody cup of tea...........but at the same time everybody knows im a fan, and used to train as a wreslter for some time also, so that adds to it i would of thought. Either way i know its not everybodys "thing", but at the same i did want to "Test" my girlfriend to see if she'd mind.

When she first came round my house i was watching ECW One night stand, Mike Awesome Vs Masato Tanaka. So if she can put up with that, she wouldnt mind the normal stuff. Since then shes become half a fan, and doesnt mind (for the most part) that i have a box full of TNA Action figures!

So its wasnt an "issue", but i suppose if i ever met anybody who has a negative attituve towards wrestling......i probably wouldnt speak to them.

Archived