The Best Ovations

danchilton

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Good choice.

That crowd went mental for everything that was served up that night. Here are the introductions to the Horsemen Six-Man match with Orndroff, JYD and El Gigante from the card - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j349tUcCsSI...feature=related

Here another few choices..

Sting at the Great American Bash 1989 against the Great Muta (Starts at 1:09) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wCRzkNYyP0...feature=related

Ric Flair at the Great American Bash 1989 against Terry Funk. Brilliant stuff. Starts at 1:25.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQMFJf--QrQ...feature=related

Yes, Sting was crazy over in 1989-90 (as was Luger) right up to the point where he won the title really and then it was all slowly downhill. Legitimately some of the biggest pops I've ever heard for a wrestler on the rise. It's a shame he had noone marketable to work with during his first WCW title run because he didn't really hit the same heights again until seven years later but at that point.

I've always felt there's never been enough love for this when it comes to ovations. Watch from about 4:30 onwards.

Underrated match to boot. I remember really enjoying it at the time. That was also one of the very first PPVs I remember looking up the results for online (didn't have the internet at home back then so only very occasionally got to check out the wrestling sites back in those 1995-98 days :( ).

I know a lot of people don't like him and that he already had a backlash even then but I marked out for Douglas' win although I stopped following ECW at that point and didn't see anything until over a year later when Bravo started showing the old stuff from the mid-90s around Winter '98-'99.

• Paid Members
Indeed. That arena went mental. Trying to underplay it is stupid as you only have to look at the pop to see what happened.

I'd argue that actually being a part of the live crowd gives you better insight than just watching it on TV.

Like my mate was? Yeah, I agree. I also agree that most nights the majority are behind Cena, he gets the big cheer and as it dies down you can hear the vocal minority booing, but there is no way that's all it was at Royal Rumble! The reaction was clear on TV and in the arena, maybe not in your section, but it was definately happening.

• Paid Members
one of the oddest, Ronnie Garvin (off camera) tearing off his sports coat to nail Greg Valentine at Summerslam 89. Not a sustained pop but a pop that's just a bit out of nowhere.

6:37

I think you have the dvd production team to thank for that. Sounds like different music with a crowd pop added over the top.

• Paid Members
one of the oddest, Ronnie Garvin (off camera) tearing off his sports coat to nail Greg Valentine at Summerslam 89. Not a sustained pop but a pop that's just a bit out of nowhere.

I think you have the dvd production team to thank for that. Sounds like different music with a crowd pop added over the top.

the live version I came across had the same pop, I guess New Jersey just loved a good ole tuxedo throwing

• Paid Members

the live version I came across had the same pop, I guess New Jersey just loved a good ole tuxedo throwing

They certainly popped big for his introduction. Sorry, my mistake.

Indeed. That arena went mental. Trying to underplay it is stupid as you only have to look at the pop to see what happened.

I'd argue that actually being a part of the live crowd gives you better insight than just watching it on TV.

Like my mate was? Yeah, I agree. I also agree that most nights the majority are behind Cena, he gets the big cheer and as it dies down you can hear the vocal minority booing, but there is no way that's all it was at Royal Rumble! The reaction was clear on TV and in the arena, maybe not in your section, but it was definately happening.

I think that it gets hugely overplayed really, is what I'm saying. I'm not saying there were zero people who cheered then boo'd, just that not every 'smart' fan in the house 'forgot' what they were supposed to do.

There is a difference between a loud 'pop' because someone you love comes out, and a loud reaction because something completely unexpected has happened.

I think it was more a shocked reaction that filled the arena first, rather than (as some people state) everyone cheering for Cena, then 50% of them going "oh yeah, I forgot, i'm supposed to hate Cena so i better start booing".

The initial reaction form everyone was, "Oh my God, i never expected THAT", and it quickly settled into the regular cena response of a mixed crowd. I just think it's a bit funny that some people use that pop as an example of people only hating Cena 'coz it's cool', and them being 'exposed' or something.

Archived