New song from The Strokes

Sexy Dad

Any fans of the band that bought us potentially the best album of the past decade 'Is this it'? The long awaited 'Under the cover of darkness' has the hit the airwaves and has been described by Albert Hammond jr as 'a return to our classic sound'. It could be a grower for myself but does undoubtedly sound a lot closer to the sound of The Strokes compared to anything off 'First impressions of earth'. I was expecting the band to begin to incorporate a more epic sound into the new material a la Arcade fire as that seems to have been the growing trend on the indie scene since their abscence.

• Paid Members
This is disappointing. Flaming June is wrong, this sounds much closer to Is This It than First Impressions Of Earth which is a great shame as the latter album is easily their best work.

See I'm quite the fan of 'Room on Fire'

Reptilia is without question their best song, this new however comes nowhere near it and doesn't fill me with confidence the album will be any good either.

It sounds like a band trying to be The Strokes rather than The Strokes themselves. It's also worrying that they're going back to the sound of the first album. First Impressions... is one of the most underrated and misunderstood albums of the past decade.

This is disappointing. Flaming June is wrong, this sounds much closer to Is This It than First Impressions Of Earth which is a great shame as the latter album is easily their best work.

Utter bullshit, the guitar sound is almost identical to the latter two albums and nothing like the first. Is This It has nowhere near as clean and polished a guitar sound as this. Also, Julian's voice is really distorted on the first album and clearer on the second two, like it is on this single.

First Impressions... is one of the most underrated and misunderstood albums of the past decade.

In what was is it 'misunderstood'? How is it you understand this record more than everyone else? I like the album, I think it's a decent rock album that goes a little too long, with a great four opening tracks. But it isn't a patch on Is This It, which is a much shorter, more cohesive, more consistent suite of great, fresh sounding tracks. Cut First Impressions down to ten songs and you have maybe an 8 or 9 out of 10, at the minute it's more like a 6 or 7.

I'll maybe take that it's overrated, but I don't see what more there is to understand about it. The sound evolves slightly but it isn't a huge departure from their other stuff.

• Paid Members

'Flaming June is wrong' is the new 'Fleischmark is right'.

Song's pretty dull. Never been a huge fan of The Strokes anyway. Was Casablancas's album any good? I only 11th Dimension and that was okay but I heard some bad reviews.

• Paid Members

Seriously? I fucking love Is This It in all it's gritty minimal glory. Never had much time for anything they've done since apart from the odd single ( Reptilia being the obvious standout track.) I'd say Is This It is one of the finest albums of our generation. Maybe I'll have to listen to First Impressions again.

I'll never forget seeing The Strokes at Reading 2002. Possibly the best live performance I've ever seen.

I'm not sure whether I couldn't enjoy Julian's solo effort because he admitted he was doing it to kill time or whether it just being generic synthpop. From a few listens, I didn't take anything from it as it was sort of like 'Insert artist here' featuring Julian C as none of the credentials which bought me to The Strokes were there, ofcourse Julian has a great voice but thats not why you listen the band.

• Paid Members

Seriously? I fucking love Is This It in all it's gritty minimal glory. Never had much time for anything they've done since apart from the odd single ( Reptilia being the obvious standout track.) I'd say Is This It is one of the finest albums of our generation. Maybe I'll have to listen to First Impressions again.

It's all subjective, some may prefer First Impressions- but most prefer Is This It, which is supported by the best album of the 2000s poll we had on here. I loved Is This It, didn't like Room On Fire (although Reptilia is my favourite Strokes track) and First Impressions was ok- especially Juicebox and Heart in a Cage.

But I agree, The Strokes definitely sound better and cooler when their sound is 'grittier'- like the first album. Same with their look. They looked unwashed, unkept- yet fucking cool.

Archived