Smackdown Discussion 11th Feb

xear

nodq.com

Dark Match:

Percy Watson defeated Chavo Guerrero in a 5 minute match after hitting a neckbreaker.

WWE Smackdown (Airing this Friday)

Members of the Green Bay Packers are in attendance as reported earlier. Linebacker Clay Matthews has a title belt.

The show opens with red carpet and baloons in the ring. Alberto Del Rio comes out and cuts a promo about how it is his destiny to be World Heavyweight Champion. Kofi Kingston comes out and interrupts. He has a kendo stick and ends up trashing the set.

WWE Intercontinental Champion Kofi Kingston vs. Alberto Del Rio. It's a non-title bout as Del Rio gets Kofi to submit in his armbar submission.

Backstage segment with Edge talking about the World Title match tonight.

Justin Gabriel defeated Vladimir Kozlov. The Corre attacks Vladimir and Santino Marella after the match.

Drew McIntyre comes out and dedicated his next match to Kelly Kelly. Drew beats Chris Masters with his DDT.

Backstage segment with Rey Mysterio talking about his match against Wade Barrett tonight and Cody Rhodes.

Wade Barrett comes out and talks about Elimination Chamber. He says he will be World Heavyweight Champion at Wrestlemania.

Wade Barrett beats Rey Mysterio with help from The Corre. They beat Rey up after the match until Big Show makes the save. Show gets slammed by Ezekiel Jackson.

Kane beats JTG in a squash.

Two backstage segments with LayCool and then Vickie Guerrero.

WWE Divas Champion Eve vs. Layla w/Michelle McCool. Eve wins and I'm told dissension is teased with LayCool.

Edge vs. Dolph Ziggler for the World Heavyweight Championship with Vickie Guerrero as the special guest referee. Vickie keeps fast-counting Edge, getting more heat than anyone on the show. Vickie Spears Edge and goes out with an ankle injury. Edge Spears Dolph Ziggler twice. Green Bay Packers linebacker Clay Matthews comes out wearing a referee shirt and makes the three count. After the match, he and Edge celebrate with their title belts to end the show. Huge pop for Matthews and Edge.

Edge vs. Dolph Ziggler for the World Heavyweight Championship with Vickie Guerrero as the special guest referee. Vickie keeps fast-counting Edge, getting more heat than anyone on the show. Vickie Spears Edge and goes out with an ankle injury. Edge Spears Dolph Ziggler twice. Green Bay Packers linebacker Clay Matthews comes out wearing a referee shirt and makes the three count. After the match, he and Edge celebrate with their title belts to end the show. Huge pop for Matthews and Edge.

Vickie Spears Edge?! A 40 something year old plump woman Speared the World Heavyweight Champion? Fuck this shit, better be a typo.

Vickie Spears Edge?! A 40 something year old plump woman Speared the World Heavyweight Champion? Fuck this shit, better be a typo.

The impression I got was that she speared him and bounced right off of him, with Edge standing there looking dumbfounded and Vickie laying face down in pain.

The impression I got was that she speared him and bounced right off of him, with Edge standing there looking dumbfounded and Vickie laying face down in pain.

Yeah, that's exactly what happened. This show was pretty much noteable only for Drew taking the damnedest bump off of a spinebuster/Sky High I've ever seen, and Cole and Booker just being fucking awful through the whole show. Josh isn't much better. And here I was thinking that no Striker would lead to an improvement.

I wasn't a huge fan of the show this week. I liked the opening bit with Kofi and Del Rio, but hated that it turned into a match straight away. Should've just done the first bit as build up to a match at Elimination Chamber rather than destroying Kofi already. Especially if they're still gonna try and squeeze a match out of the feud at Elimination Chamber anyway.

Ziggler looked like a chump in the main event. Reminded me of the Batista-Christian match from years ago where Christian had about seventy people interfering but took a pasting anyway. This was only one person, but it seemed totally one-sided, with Dolph being useless apart from when Vickie was helping him. Vickie was good, obviously, but not as good as last week (I think her show-closing "Hahahahahaha IT'S ME!" speech last week is one of the all-time great wrestling promos, and one me and my mates would be quoting for ages if they still watched wrestling).

Don't know how to feel about the Lay-Cool breakup that seems looming. They're a great double act but there's not much left for them to do together... McIntyre vs Masters was everything I hate about Smackdown, although Drew's mini-speech was intriguing... Hated Kane vs JTG... I don't particularly care about anything The Corre are doing, which isn't a good sign, but it's perfectly watchable. I quite liked the Kozlov vs Gabriel match, especially the ending, wasn't too impressed by the Barrett vs Mysterio one.

Never watch Smackdown, but how is Barrett doing? Has he lost momentum or is there a chance of a World title win in the near future?

Depends how near you mean. Del Rio will surely have it first, but there's a good chance Barrett will win it this year. He beat Big Show last week and Mysterio this week, so he's not doing too bad. It's nowhere near the heights of Nexus like, but he's still on good ground.

That ending made next-to-no sense whatsoever.

Vicki was watching for crying out loud, though the fact that Cole pointed out she was watching and the fact that the show closed with him saying that she was throwing the match out suggests to me that we're going to see some shenanigans next week.

The Corre's t-shirt is awful.

I found that show alright, I was really impressed by Wade Barrett Vs Rey Mysterio, and Edge Vs Dolph Ziggler was very enjoyable. I wish they hadn't of had Kofi Kingston lose so easily though, really pissed me off, becuase now I won't be able to take him seriously as the IC champ.

Booker really is not good on commentary. What's happening with Striker now?

He's got our backs with Jack on Superstars now. Seriously though, Booker T isn't bad on commentary, he is highly entertaining for my personal preferences, but Michael Cole never shuts up any more, so he can hardly ever talk.

Booker really is not good on commentary. What's happening with Striker now?

By all accounts he is still on Superstars, so he's about...

I think Booker is alright, much like I said in the Raw thread they've got the commentary positions wrong. On SD! Matthews should be the main commentator with heel Cole and face Booker chiming in. The banter between them was fucking annoying. And now I am beginning to get a bit tired of Cole "I'm a broadcast Journalist" every 5 minutes isn't funny.

• Paid Members

I enjoyed the show, but I agree with the people who say Booker's been poor on commentary. Maybe the 3 man team is giving him no time to shine, but he almost feels like a guest commentator to me, rather than the real thing. He's pretty bland and unexciting. He doesn't really add anything in any way. I don't see him lasting long, he's worse than the diabolical Striker by a long way. Smackdown hasn't had a great co-commentator since Mick Foley, there must be someone out there who's able to improve the poor announce situation.

• Paid Members
He's in World title elimination chamber Match at next PPV.

Good to know that R-Truth also stands a chance at getting a world title based on that criteria then.

More of a chance than El Dandy.

Archived