Smackdown Discussion 11th Feb

xear

• Paid Members

What a waste of time that whole lot was. I know its hard to present competitive matches when one talent blatently has a rocket strapped to their ass and the other, well, is Kofi Kingston, but between Del Rio/Kingston, McIntyre/Masters and Kane/JTG, the theme seemed to be "you know who's winning this one" all show long.

Personally the main was also "same old same old" where the evil heel authority figure places seemingly impossible odds in front of the babyface champion who still manages to prevail. Of course this time round, it's even less effective because no one thinks Ziggler is ready to be champion, and he certainly isn't going to be the one losing to wrestling Del Rio at Mania.

I don't get a lot of it, because if there is enough authority to make stupid rulings about handicap matches and special referees, why don't they just strip the face of the title and give it to whoever they want? Pretty sure wheelchair-bound Spangle just took the US title off John Cena once, just because he was in a bad mood.

Barratt and Rey was a good little match however, and Edge and Dolph did gel well again, even though the interest wasnt in if Edge would retain but how.

I cannot stand Matt Striker, but even I prefer him to Booker. Perhaps he just needs time to settle in but he's not bringing anything to the table at the moment.

I was sat there thinking "I hate the Corre's music sped up now" and then Wade came out with the normal version.

Mistake? Or as the "leader but not actual leader" does he get to use the original?

There will be a storyline there I reckon, with Barrett trying to take over while denying his intentions.

Booker knows his stuff, but he's just not entertaining as a commentator. I suppose it's because he's trying to do it seriously and deal with Cole at the same time but it just sounds rubbish compared to the guest commentary he pulled out during his wrestling days. It must be quite a difficult job to settle into because of the Cole factor overshadowing everything else, perhaps Booker will find his comfort zone after a bit. But if he doesn't, then get rid of him. Cole is the most important thing.

Thought it was another cracking show. Really been digging SmackDown lately.

The Edge/Ziggler/Vickie thing is really entertaining to me, though like whats been said, it does ruin it slightly that there's no chance of Dolph winning the title, and with him losing all the time, it's hurting him a lot. Hopefully once WrestleMania is out the way he'll get a decent feud with someone, maybe someone coming over in the draft, Ziggler/Orton could be decent.

With the way the match ended, and Vickie seeing Edge use the spear, I assume the World Title will be vacated going into the Chamber, Edge will surely win it back there like, but thats what I think will happen.

Del Rio/Kofi was entertaining, really good mini feud, Kofi got a decent amount of offence in, in the match too, lets not forget he only lost once he was thrown against the steel steps and that, hardly a squash. Annnd, KOFI CAN TALK! I think i've only heard him speak when he was feuding with Orton, and that was a decent promo, he seems to have a good voice for promo's so im hoping he can build on it.

The Corre are looking a lot stronger than the New Nexus at the minute, there beat downs are actually working, probably helps they dont have John Cena to deal with though. Zeke is amazing, hopefully he beats Show at Elimination Chamber.

Not sure where they're going with the Corre and WrestleMania, I know the new Nexus match is rumoured, but I dunno, Cole was saying how nobody can stop the Corre, so it seems like some sort of set up for someone big or something, I dunno.

But yeah good show. Wrestling's pretty damn good at the minute, across Raw, SD! and Impact IMO.

* As a Striker fan I'm slightly biased, but Booker is killing me on commentary. Everything he says sounds so trite. It's probably a lot to do with having to play counterweight to Cole's obnoxious heel character, but it just hasn't worked so far. I mean, one of the great things about Striker - love him or hate him - is that Cole gets to rip on him constantly for his style because there's a sense they're peers; with Booker you don't have that so much and hence you lose both the best of Striker and Cole.

* Although it was slightly better than usual, I still very much believe that Kofi can't talk. This week's promo had that Byron Saxton vibe of being a guy who knows what he's supposed to be saying, says it, and yet still feels completely inauthentic. And that moment where he was about to hit Del Rio with the kendo stick but was hesitating? That was some pretty awful acting right there. I'm shocked at how much I continue to dislike him. Everything people ever said about Shelton Benjamin lacking mic skills, it applies to Kofi twofold.

* The main thing I thought when watching this week's SD! was how shameful it is that Edge is going to main event Wrestlemania this year. I guess it speaks of how badly Smackdown! has been screwed over this year, but even so...in terms of the year he has had, he no way deserves to have that spot. There must be a bare minimum of ten Superstars who have contributed more, deserve the opportunity more and would benefit more. I mean, I'm happy to see Alberto Del Rio given the shot, but the fact that it's against Edge already makes me slightly less interested in the match itself.

* The main thing I thought when watching this week's SD! was how shameful it is that Edge is going to main event Wrestlemania this year. I guess it speaks of how badly Smackdown! has been screwed over this year, but even so...in terms of the year he has had, he no way deserves to have that spot. There must be a bare minimum of ten Superstars who have contributed more, deserve the opportunity more and would benefit more. I mean, I'm happy to see Alberto Del Rio given the shot, but the fact that it's against Edge already makes me slightly less interested in the match itself.

I would add Rey Mysterio to the mix, and make it a Triple Threat Match becuase of the history between the two since he debuted. If Edge and Mysterio can pull anything off that they did at Royal Rumble 2008, and Del Rio steels a win, it could pass as being the 4th important match or so.

There was a really awkward moment on commentary at the end of Drew/Masters where Booker says that Drew told him that he is destined to win the World Title. There's a bit of a silence, Cole starts kind of clumsily berating Booker that the only person who is destined to win is Del Rio. I'm guessing Vince jumped all over them for that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdASGnzdWNM

I would add Rey Mysterio to the mix, and make it a Triple Threat Match becuase of the history between the two since he debuted.

Yes, WrestleMania needs the 45983507936578895th Rey Mysterio vs Alberto Del Rio match.

Archived