A wrestling title, like Ring has for boxing

JakeRobertsParoleOfficer

Hi Guys

Now bare with me on this one. Since there isnt a single BIG promotion in the country that rules (well maybe allstar) like WWE does in America i was wondering wether this would work or even be a good idea.

In Boxing the leading publication is a magazine called 'Ring' Now it has been going yonks and is widley respected as the best publication of its kind. Now its rating system is usually heralded as the best as well, and it actaully awards a belt to the top boxer in each division (the belt was featured in some of the rocky films). The belt within the boxing fraternity is looke dupon pretty much as being the most legit out there.

Now i was wondering do you think this would work in wrestling in the UK. Lets say a respected magazine (like powerslam fsm, or pro wrestling illustrated etc) named awrestler as its no 1 and gave them the title (he could then defend it on shows etc) would it give more of an air of legtimacy to that wrestler and also help make both them and the promotions the wrestler is working for more money.

what do you think?

• Paid Members

Not really on topic, but the WBC did start a Wrestling championship some years ago!

As for a magazine title, it's a nice idea although even in boxing it doesnt really make anything more special really, considering the ammount of belts around in the boxing world, and most ring title holders also have X ammount of belts anyway. It would be the same sort of thing for wrestling, i would of thought anyway.

I think in theory its a really neat idea, but in practice it might suck. So essentially the Champion would be like Flair as the NWA Champ loaned out about the territories in the 70's/80's?

also considering eveyone's opinion of Powerslam, I'm not sure people would take it seriously!

Until the time that promoters actually work together we will never see any kind of unity in the UK. It's a sad fact but they just won't work together. Someone will throw their toys out of the pram and as a result the title will never be defended in that promotion which means it won't mean alot when whoever has it can't defend it due to them not being allowed to take on certain stars.

The other thing that will happen is that some promoters will want their star to wear it which means that they'll kick up a stink and then won't want to play anymore. Then you'll get said promoters slagging the belt off and making it look like shit.

Its a real shame but until the time that promoters work together (and it doesn't apply to all) this country will never evolve past the level we're at.

As has been mentioned many times before, Scott Conway tried something a few years back. A tournament was held with the champions from various promotions, with Doug Williams beating the Zebra Kid in the final. The title was hardly defended afterwards.

As for a magazine awarding a title, I can hardly see Powerslam creating a British title, given their lack of interest in the British wrestling scene.

Until the time that promoters actually work together we will never see any kind of unity in the UK. It's a sad fact but they just won't work together. Someone will throw their toys out of the pram and as a result the title will never be defended in that promotion which means it won't mean alot when whoever has it can't defend it due to them not being allowed to take on certain stars.

The other thing that will happen is that some promoters will want their star to wear it which means that they'll kick up a stink and then won't want to play anymore. Then you'll get said promoters slagging the belt off and making it look like shit.

Its a real shame but until the time that promoters work together (and it doesn't apply to all) this country will never evolve past the level we're at.

I've never understood the 'need' for working together like so many people go on about. If it's right for business then yes work together but I fail to see how everyone working together would benefit. It's not that we need to work together we just need less promoters talking shit publicly about other promoters and for promoters to be more supportive of other promoters even if it doesn't benefit them directly in a financial manor. That's it really.

If I'm asked by a fan to recommend a wrestling company for them to go see and they live in say East Anglia I'm going to recommend they check out WAW. If someone in the North-West asks me to recommend them a promotion to go see I'll recommend XWA. If someone in the South-East asks me to recommend a product I'm going to say IPW:UK. If there is part of the country where I don't think there's any good promotions about I'll respond saying 'Sorry I don't know any promotions around that area but I know these people (enter promotion name here) who are only (x amount of time) away and I highly recommend seeing them".

That's not me working together with them, that's just helping someone find their way into watching some good wrestling shows. What I've found with most promotions is they'll just slag everyone off in the random hope that Johnny Fanboy will travel half way across the country to see their promotion which especially in this current climate unless you have Shawn Michaels on or are a niche product nobody is going to do because that's quite the financial and time consuming gamble to take on the basis of a biassed opinion. By being honest I might just help create a new fan of going to indie wrestling shows in the UK that another promotion and the business will benefit from and that maybe later on as their interest grows I'll benefit from too.

Now I'm not saying I'm against working with anyone because I DO maintain a good working relationship with a number of promotions now throughout the world but it wouldn't benefit me to work with everyone because I don't get on with everyone nor do I share the same working mentality or philosophy as a number of people in the business so why put myself in a shitty position that will make me miserable and could effect the product in a negative way? Not all plumbers works together because it's 'good for the business'. However if a plumber you call is busy they'll recommend a good plumber for you to call. And they will recommend a genuinely good plumber if they ever want that customer to trust them again because if you give them good advice they'll come back to you because you've earned their trust. They won't always just recommend someone who's crap even if he's a really good mate if they think it will then in turn make them look shit.

So yeah, I don't think we need all the people to work together, I think all what we actually need is for people to be less shitty towards one another.

Archived