1PW - The Last Stand [28/05/2011]

1PW

My last comment was just repeating what I heard from reliable sources that were there.

Also are people still owed money from last years farrago?, I ask because:

RockstarSpud Rockstar Spud

@Jarvo61 You prob wont see me in #1PW again as I won't lower myself to work for a promotion with a bad reputation as it will damage mine!

25 May

LOL Just noticed I musta bin stripped of #1PW Openweight Championship...news to me. Guess they still owe friends of mine money...Funny that!

28 May

GilliganGordon Gilligan Gordon

@RockstarSpud heard any of these rumours floating round that 1PW hasn't paid people again? I haven't confirmed it nor checked @ukff ...

21 hours ago

If they state it publicly I can quote them.

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How many of you folks that are running your mouths were actually at either of the shows?

I attended both and I have to say they were 2 of the best shows I have ever watched and from where I was sat it looked like everyone else was having a ball too :D

Im certain that very few shows go without some hiccups along they way but when you look at the final product there is just no need for the shite some people talk!

CANT WAIT FOR THE NEXT ONE

:D

A few hiccups? So whereas:

Kevin Nash

Road Dogg

Rhino

Krimson

Kid Kash

SJK

All tuned up. The below were advertised but through whatever means didn't show:

Scott Hall

Diamond Dallas Page

X-Pac

Davey Richards

Colt Cabana

Kevin Thorne

Billy Gunn

Well 6 out of 13 ain't bad....

EDITED as I missed Kash.

How many of you folks that are running your mouths were actually at either of the shows?

I attended both and I have to say they were 2 of the best shows I have ever watched and from where I was sat it looked like everyone else was having a ball too :D

Im certain that very few shows go without some hiccups along they way but when you look at the final product there is just no need for the shite some people talk!

CANT WAIT FOR THE NEXT ONE

:D

Not sure if you are including me as running my mouth but to clarify, I wasnt at either show as I was too busy working on other shows but have heard a lot directly from people who appeared on the show. I have never seen 1PW live and havent commented on how the shows were out front but when it comes to how business is done out back I feel I am a little qualified to offer constructive criticism (even if it has nothing to do with me) about how promoters should always have all the money due to the talent already there for them to collect before they leave.

My last comment was just repeating what I heard from reliable sources that were there.

Sources? As I said before, feel free to PM me or get the people who witnessed these acts to contact me and i'll happily call any of the workers who were apparently paid with DVDs to get their side of the story. Usually, if things go awry, I end up being dragged into it or told about it and I heard nothing about that last night. If the sources don't wish to be known, then PM me yourself with names.

Also are people still owed money from last years farrago?, I ask because:

LOL Just noticed I musta bin stripped of #1PW Openweight Championship...news to me. Guess they still owe friends of mine money...Funny that!

28 May

GilliganGordon Gilligan Gordon

@RockstarSpud heard any of these rumours floating round that 1PW hasn't paid people again? I haven't confirmed it nor checked @ukff ...

21 hours ago

If they state it publicly I can quote them.

Of course, you are totally free to post whatever thoughts or opinions you like. If the person this is referring to is who I think it is (and I have no reason to think it could be anyone else), then they are and aren't owed money. It's an extremely complicated situation and not one that i'll discuss publicly without having discussed it with the individual first. I'm not trying to hide anything, i'm not really like that, I just don't wish to discuss any matters relating to money that don't directly concern me (nor to wish to anger any parties involved).

Having worked on the weekends show I have to say I had a lot of fun despite quite a few diversions been thrown in our way from a creative standpoint. it was truly a case of when given lemons, make lemonade scenario but id like to think we came out and delivered. The feedback I got from the fans across the board who attended the shows was that they really enjoyed the shows and that they would love to see the promotion again because the quality of the show from top to bottom had something for everyone and based on what I saw I can say hand on heart that I have no reason not to believe them.

I have read this thread and I can see where people are coming from and im afraid mistakes have been made from a business standpoint however I am not aware of any wrestlers not getting paid on the night. I thought I was going to have to wait for my money but I was happy to do that as I was going back to the hotel anyways so that was no problem for me at all. As it turned out I was paid before we left the venue and a the other guys who were told to wait were paid before they left the venue too.

I have been more than vocal behind the scenes with how things should be done and how things should be done moving forward. Bottom line is communication is key and as Adam mentioned delegation of work needs to be done or you have the mother of all cluster fucks on the day which in turn further tarnishes a reputation which in the internet community has been brutalized and with good reason too.

I have been with 1PW since it started and seen the highs and lows of it. Ive seen more than what I needed to see on every level and trust me if I had a penny for every time I have shaken my head in disbelief over the last 6 years I would be able to keep a lear jet on standby for the rest of my life but I do genuinely love working there because I know im going to be working with some of the best talent wrestling can offer in this country. I dont care what anyone says, the wrestling on these last 3 shows has been nothing short of outstanding. All the lads go out there and give it 110% and that is reflective of the quality of the shows so far. It guts me when I see guys putting in so much effort and people who assist backstage and creatively seeing their hard work been overshadowed by negativity which though some is more than justified in other cases it is not.

I am not here to justify the behaviour of anybody who has run 1PW past present or future, thats not my role nor my position to do so but people need to get their facts straight on here. As I personally see it though I am in agreement with Adam Curtis when he said very tough calls will have to be made because this year should have been an opportunity to right the wrongs. There was no margin in error with regard to this but alas that has not happened and now it needs to be viewed with a level of reflection. I am more than happy to help out to the best of my ability to try and get things back to where it once was.

In closing the quality of the shows have been brilliant but the execution behind the scenes needs a total overhaul.

the biggest problem seems to be that the undoubted quality of the roster and the shows they deliver are constantly overshadowed by rumours, half truths and actual truths and it doesnt look like it will ever turn that corner because people judge every tiny error in judgement as a massive issue due to previous problems. When you look through this thread since the shows there is far more talk about backstage than out front. I am as guilty as anyone as you can see and that is a huge problem. Fantastic shows, as this one may well have been, should be the only thing anyone cares about but very few people focus on that, often for good reason, and its very unfair and those busting their backsides to produce in the ring

Well lets be honest here if people can take advantage of something negative on here they will thrive on that than what whats actually been delivered in the ring. Over the last 6 years 1PW has had the knack of being controversial and as I said some of the stuff thats gone is beyond a joke in that time span but at the same time there has been instances where it only takes the absolute slightest small thing that has been bullshit or half truth and people on here will buzz of it like flies on shit.

Over the last 6 years 1PW has had the knack of being controversial and as I said some of the stuff thats gone is beyond a joke in that time span but at the same time there has been instances where it only takes the absolute slightest small thing that has been bullshit or half truth and people on here will buzz of it like flies on shit.

The problem is that 1PW has deserved a good bit of the shit that has been thrown their way. So when it IS something slight, then people are going to latch onto it more than they would with another promotion, and would you not admit that given the past, and even a lot of present, it's understandable?

Over the last 6 years 1PW has had the knack of being controversial and as I said some of the stuff thats gone is beyond a joke in that time span but at the same time there has been instances where it only takes the absolute slightest small thing that has been bullshit or half truth and people on here will buzz of it like flies on shit.

The problem is that 1PW has deserved a good bit of the shit that has been thrown their way. So when it IS something slight, then people are going to latch onto it more than they would with another promotion, and would you not admit that given the past, and even a lot of present, it's understandable?

Id like to think that I kinda got the point across that 1PW are far from blameless from the situations that have been raised in the last 6 years. Id also say that I think its also a shame that when guys go out there and give it there all that its overshadowed by negative crap that people on here are responsible on here and 1PW too.

Id like to think that I kinda got the point across that 1PW are far from blameless from the situations that have been raised in the last 6 years. Id also say that I think its also a shame that when guys go out there and give it there all that its overshadowed by negative crap that people on here are responsible on here and 1PW too.

I agree with what your saying Ruffers but after the Olympia show when the shit truly hit the fan the wrestlers were all praised for the way they handled the situation and went out there and risked themselves in most cases for fuck all pay. Whilst I criticise 1PW's business ethics, and having followed the company since 2006 and spent alot of my money on the product then I reckon I'm qualified to do so, I would never criticise the guys that go out and put on a show. It is sad that this is always overlooked because of the backstage trouble but unfortunately thats what 1PW is associated with and whilst it goes on people will always be interested in it. I'm sure IPW:UK and A Merchandise, who I consider to be the two companies who present the best shows on these shores, aren't strangers to backstage troubles but one thing they seem to do is handle it all professionally before it gets out of hand hence we never really hear about it. By not addressing the problems and rectifying them before they snowball 1PW makes a rodd (see what I did there ;) ) for it's own back and until things get re-addressed and not just have the cracks papered over then this will always be the case.

• Paid Members

Thing is, it's the same old fucking shit and yes I paid to be there.

It's got nothing to do with the wrestlers and their performance, that isn't nor is ever the argument. Every single post made is about how completely shit 1pw is ran. How shite the organisation & communication is. As thorn was said in a 1pw ring at "1pw, 1pw" chanting crowd, "don't chant 1pw, 1pw has done nothing for tonights show, it's only thanks to all the boys who are about to wrestle for free, chant their names".

I have nothing but respect for the lads in the ring, hence why I always need to travel around 300 miles on a train to see a show, and it's a fucking joke when you get there and find out that 'such & such' couldn't make it.

The lack of professional interaction with paying customers is pathetic and inexcusable because it's free to do and honesty costs nothing. Front of house during show time is great (when it starts), but whether people like it or not, everything else is a load of pure shit, and yes it does 100% effect the paying customer.

It's not the first time 1pw have lacked any business sense (the kind of business that financially hurts fans) that's the key issue.

I'm very glad that one or two people above have stated a big change is in the pipeline, would be nice to get someone involved that isnt a professional crank, as it would be nice to look forward to 1pw shows. It helps if you know who's gonna be there, what the matches are and what your actually paying for.

Some good points made back and forth. But at the end of the day no one is taking away from the wrestlers work or matches, I've said it numerous times, no matter what goes wrong, the Brit talent will give the fans their moneys worth. And although the imports didn't contribute a lot in the ring they helped round out the show with some depth and star power.

But the backstage stuff is too strong to ignore especially if people aren't being paid correctly and fans are not sure who they are paying to see. If I saw a couple of rats running across the kitchen floor of my favourite sandwich shop, I wouldn't turn a blind eye cause their sandwiches are yummy would I?. I'd email a health inspector to sort it out and tell everyone I know about it so they don't go there.

Wrestling isn't exempt from the same treatment IMO.

I hope you guys are right and things are being changed, Danny said he'd learnt the hard way last year after the New Divide debacle and he'd be better in future, which hasn't proven to be the case, he hasn't learnt, he's got much worse in fact. If any show between now and the final show under Rodd's rule ends up being an abortion like last May and this May then, it'll all be hot air again.

As for PMing names I won't be doing that. Selling no one down the river here. Guys owed from last year I heard about have been featured prominently by 1PW in 2009 & 2010 but have not been seen since The New Divide.

The biggest problem i have with the whole 1PW thing is this.....

British Wrestling struggles in the shadows in British society and culture as it is... we sometimes forget that the people who post in this forum are only probably 1% of the general population in the UK that are into some form of wrestling... albeit probably WWE/TNA.

So if we pick a general fan who loved wrestling as a kid growing up in the 90's and watches WWE occassionally these days... he lives in Swindon. He hears down the grapevine thats X-Pac, Billy Gunn, Kevin Nash and Road Dogg are coming to his home town for a wrestling show, this really sparks his interest even though he has never been to a live wrestling event before. He knows nothing about 1PW, their history or anything but in his own mind must think woah they are bringing over these guys they must be a pretty big professional promotion, he buys tickets online... signs up to 1pw facebook page and within a few months leading up to the show he starts hearing rumours of people not coming, wrestlers coming out on twitter calling 1pw a bunch of conmen, then weeks before the show, he has still not recieved his tickets, no matches have been announced, within a few days of the show tickets have still not arrived, he has no idea who is wrestling on the show or any details for it, he finds out sundays show has been cancelled, he asks for a refund on his tickets because he is worried he will lose his money but has still not heard nothing even after the show.

Would he put his faith in buying tickets for a 1pw show in the future? definitely not. Would he put his faith in going to another BRITISH wrestling show or promotion? probably not.

1PW business model and professionalism is not only massively hurting their own company and its brand, but diminishing any hope of the British wrestling community reaching out to new markets and people.

If people are treated rubbish by one bad company unfortunately in society most of the time, the whole scene will get tarred with the same brush.

Its such a shame.

That's absolutely spot on, MJ.

If this had been the first time out for 1PW, you might forgive them the amateur nature of their business strategy and their public relations. You might give them the benefit of the doubt, and hope that they learn from their mistakes. But the arrogance and denial showed by the current 1PW management (particularly whoever's been using the 1PW account here) leave me in no doubt that they'll continue to shit things up and do damage to British Wrestling as a whole, as they have done time after time over the years that I've been a member here.

The UKFF is only a small percentage of UK wrestling fans, without a doubt. But it's an incredibly passionate and faithful bunch of fans of a sport that is generally derided by everyone else. Does anyone on this forum really want British Wrestling NOT to improve? Of course not. We'd all love a homegrown TNA or even ROH, and most people on here would like to go to big-time events and see a mix of international and homegrown talent. But unfortunately for the likes of 1PW, we're not idiots, and we have memories. Over the years, 1PW has cheated fans out of money, cheated wrestlers out of money, falsely promoted talent and behaved like truculent schoolchildren every time they were called to account. Why should anyone take ANYTHING promoted under their banner seriously?

For every Mark Sloan, you've got a 1PW, and as long as that continues, I don't ever see British wrestling moving beyond its current limited capabilities. I think that's a pity.

Archived