Jeff Jarrett - Whats your opinion on him?

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

This last year, I've really grown to like Jeff Jarrett in his many characters. Whether he was playing the Randy The Ram character where Bischoff was making him make fish fingers and pie and mash in the TNA canteen or whether its his most recent MMA gimmick, that was full of laughs. At the minute he's doing a family man gimmick, where he's trying to justify stealing Kurt Angle's wife. The 'At Home With The Jarretts' segments on Impact were really good. They look such a false pair. Jarrett's been class over the last 12 months, I think. Just want to see what everyone else thought.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm really not a Jeff Jarrett fan. I find his matches boring and before their times, during his Double J run, his bit with Debra in the Attitude Era, his WCW runs and hogging the spotlight in the main events of TNA shows for 4 and a half years, I find every bit of it dull. I don't think he is any good on the mic, and I don't think he ever deserved to be World Heavyweight Champion. I will admit though, that his MMA character has been original and entertaining at times. He's sorted out his hair as well, so he gets one more positive point for that.

• Paid Members

I've always been in two minds about Jeff Jarrett. This MMA gimmick has been a bundle of laughs and I enjoyed him when he was the country singer and the misogynistic southener in the WWF. He seems way more comfortable being an absolute asshole and relishes in any heel role. I just think he is one of those guys that isn't a very natural babyface. I've always hated his face runs.

Ever since he came back to tna in his ''tna founder'' gimmick he's been absolute class as a face and now as a heel with his ott mma gimmick its a blast hes a total contrast to the guy who used tna to just put himself over for years.

Edit: face runs?? i thought his recent face run in tna was the first time he'd been booked as a face in any of his runs in wwf/e and wcw and tna??

• Paid Members

For most of his career, I really wanted to be interested in Jarrett, but just couldn't do it. He just didn't have the "hook" that grabbed me.

But then, for some inexplicable reason, I really started enjoying his work from the point when he came back following his absence during which he and his family were dealing with his wife's death. All of a sudden, his matches had more to them, his out-of-ring stuff was better, and overall he was just much more interesting to watch. I'm honestly starting to believe those old Japanese masters might have something when they say that people achieve greatness in their crafts when they've experienced tragedy in their lives. Not saying it's a good thing his wife died, but it's honestly as if it made a difference to his work.

And then comes along the Hogoff administration stuff, which was also good, the heel turn, which was excellent, and the MMA gimmick, which is absolutely fucking mint and possibly the best work he's ever done. I haven't gotten to the most recent episodes in my catch-up yet, but if this new stuff is anything like the MMA work, it's bound to be top-notch. If he keeps it up, I think he could genuinely be a justifiable main-eventer for the first time in his career.

I think we are seeing a comeback in the 'old' style of actually working with wrestlers such as Golddust, Regal and Jarrett being allowed to give out the kind of actually engaging encounters that wrestling should be about and be appreciated for doing it. Jarrett is and always has been a fantastic worker, and as for him hogging the limelight in WCW, if someone asked me to be World Champion and make the most money Id do it too.

• Paid Members
I always looked at JJ as a upper midcard guy that got into the main events off the back of his old man.

Being Russo's mate, wasn't it?

Edit: face runs?? i thought his recent face run in tna was the first time he'd been booked as a face in any of his runs in wwf/e and wcw and tna??

Jarrett was a face when he first arrived in WcW, sucking up to Flair trying to become a Horseman, being proudly WcW and helping them try and repel the nWo. When he actually became a Horsemen, he had to veer between face and heel like the rest of them because depending what day of the week it was or perhaps what side of the bed Sully woke up on, they were either. Mongo feuding with popular gridiron great? Horsemen heels. Horsemen wrestling the Outsiders? Horsemen faces. Flair programmed against Piper? Horsemen heels. Benoit tackling the Dungeon of Doom? Horsemen faces.

Actually pretty sure that was all the same episode of Nitro.

Also Jarrett had an extended run as a face in TNA when up against Vince Russo's heel Sports Entertainment eXtreme faction, lead by (heel) NWA World Heavyweight Champion AJ Styles.

He was also face in TNA in 2009 teaming with other babyfaces up against the Main Event Mafia.

For me Jeff is an absolute hero, i grew up with the attitude era and towards the end for my generation, i think jeff was a bit of stand out star. with his choosen one gimmick, then through my teen years i've seen him evolve with tna. So i see him as a main event guy and a draw and im not sure if its because its someone i grew up and i saw him break through the ranks of wcw as i got into wrestling or if its because his work rate and mic skills are that good. he's a very versatile performer.

• Paid Members
Jarrett was a face when he first arrived in WcW, sucking up to Flair trying to become a Horseman, being proudly WcW and helping them try and repel the nWo. When he actually became a Horsemen, he had to veer between face and heel like the rest of them because depending what day of the week it was or perhaps what side of the bed Sully woke up on, they were either. Mongo feuding with popular gridiron great? Horsemen heels. Horsemen wrestling the Outsiders? Horsemen faces. Flair programmed against Piper? Horsemen heels. Benoit tackling the Dungeon of Doom? Horsemen faces.

Most of that was brilliant ratings popping television. Benoit vs Sully and Green, Piper and Flair vs the Wolfpac were two of the best feuds of 1997. WCW in 1997 was some of the best produced wrestling programming you'll ever see anywhere. Its quite ironic that Benoit hated Sullivan, considering it was only under Sully's pen that Benoit didnt look like he had the personality of a Kwang cardboard cutout.

I'll be honest, I've only really seen Jarrett's work in TNA and little bits from WWF from old PPVs that I've watched. In TNA, he wasn't the most exciting person although he did put on some pretty good matches. I have to echo other opinions though, he's really stepped it up in the last 6-12 months. His recent Double M-A antics have been absolutely brilliant and some of the best stuff on Impact while not taking up too much of the show, and I've really liked the recent chapter in his feud with Kurt Angle.

At the moment, I'm really liking him.

• Paid Members
Its quite ironic that Benoit hated Sullivan, considering it was only under Sully's pen that Benoit didnt look like he had the personality of a Kwang cardboard cutout.

I'd say its because he hated Sullivan that he was able to inject such fire into his performances. Much as I loved Benoit, I felt a bit sorry for Kev. "Make people believe it as much as possible" should never translate to "knob my wife for real." No one would kayfabe that much would they?

Well...

iron-sheik.JPG

EDIT

WCW in 1997 was some of the best produced wrestling programming you'll ever see anywhere.

No arguments here.

• Paid Members

BG James is class whatever he does. Great worker in the sense that he got by with what he had. He was the perfect midcarder. Great on the mic and had enough to have decent matches. He could still have been a WWE undercard/midcard act now, like Goldust was if he could have kept it together.

Archived