Jeff Jarrett - Whats your opinion on him?

IANdrewDiceClay

BG James is class whatever he does. Great worker in the sense that he got by with what he had. He was the perfect midcarder. Great on the mic and had enough to have decent matches. He could still have been a WWE undercard/midcard act now, like Goldust was if he could have kept it together.

~ this.

The only mild disagreement I have is that he and Billy together as a team in the late 90's didnt look that out of place in the main events. B Jizzle was fucking super charismatic and got spine tinglingly over on the back of it.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In regards to Jarrett in the later WCW years and early TNA years I don't care for him whatsoever and a lot of that time he didn't deserve to be in the spotlight like he was, but I find his early WWF run with the Double J character and matches very entertaining. That whole costume with the flashing J's where he finally got exposed as having a shitty voice and it being Roadie. He was very good at being a dick, he was flamboyant and could fly around well. I always thought he took an awesome shitcan over the top rope. Good series with Sparky Plug Holly, Raw match with Bret, matches with Shawn, feud with Razor and he got watchable matches out of Ahmed Johnson. He and Malenko did some good stuff in 1997 WCW too.

Then when he came back I liked everything he did with Owen and he fit so well in that midcard role during that whole period with the guitar and Debra gimmick. He gets too much flack when for the majority he was very confident and good in his roles. It seems that when he wasn't under Vince, he had a habit of hogging time where he shouldn't have been though. Under him and in moderation he was a good worker.

I don't watch TNA whatsoever so haven't seen a thing he does for about 6 years. If I was to watch 1 or 2 matches from the past couple years what would they be? Something where I wouldn't want to scratch my eyes out at the booking.

• Paid Members
BG James is class whatever he does. Great worker in the sense that he got by with what he had. He was the perfect midcarder. Great on the mic and had enough to have decent matches. He could still have been a WWE undercard/midcard act now, like Goldust was if he could have kept it together.

Agreed. Although there's a part of me that thinks, if he could have kept it together, he could've been a transitional main-eventer. He was what, the same size as Jericho perhaps? Had great, recognisable spots, and had main-event-level mike skills. I often wonder why he didn't do better.

• Paid Members

Love him. Always have. Jeff's one of the more underappreciated wrestlers of the last 20 years. Everyone (rightfully) raves about how good WCW's undercard was back in the day, but around 96/97 Jeff was as good any of them, week to week he'd be in good-great matches, but what set him apart from the rest for me was his ability to work a crowd. After he jumped back to the WWF he managed to improve on it further, I think people forget just how over the guy was towards the end of his run there, he was ready for a main event run, but for whatever reason (Austin POLITICKZ!!/ Russo leaving) it didn't work out. A lot of people say they wouldn't have "bought him" at the top of the card, but considering Bossman was put in that role a few months later I think he'd do alright,. The product was so hot at the time I think they could have gave anyone a trial run without any ill effect.

As for his WCW run, I enjoyed most of it, he was the one true constant, standout, chickenshit heel, at a time when everyone else seemed to be turning every couple of days. I liked his title runs too, again, people will say they didn't buy it or that it was a failiure, but given that WCW's business was in the shitter, and didn't drop drastically anytime he was at the top, he should be commended for at least steadying a sinking ship (for a couple of weeks anyway). In fact, the only dramatic drop in business Jarrett was involved in was when he lost the title and people stopped buying tickets for Slamboree. Granted, it may have been because he dropped it to Arquette, but it should still be mentioned.

I haven't seen much of the pre-Orlando TNA stuff that alot of people still moan about, but it seems like great booking to me, keep your established heel at the top (King Of The Mountain if you weeel), until you build up (or bring in) a babyface big enough to dethrone him, I doubt the Sting Bound For Glory title win would have been half as good if Double J hadn't have had as dominant a reign beforehand. Since returning in 2008 the guy's been as good as he ever was in-ring, the two matches he had with Kurt Angle are up there with the best the promotion's ever put on (I'd say the street fight IS the best TNA match ever), and since re-turning heel last year his character work has been fantastic, a masterclass in how to be a heel.

Jeff Jarrett gets it.

Agreed. Although there's a part of me that thinks, if he could have kept it together, he could've been a transitional main-eventer. He was what, the same size as Jericho perhaps? Had great, recognisable spots, and had main-event-level mike skills. I often wonder why he didn't do better.

He had a habit of 'confronting personal demons' and IIRC he was a little bigger than Jericho. I think by todays standards he would probably be considered quite big, in the same way I think Sean Morley would be.

Jarrett is a midcarder who should have held the belt as a transitional champion at most .He is dull as a face, and annoying as a heel (in a change the channel way, not in a good heel way).For me, anytime I have watched Double J Double M A, I found it embarrassing. Also I dislike that they had to bring the whole deal between Jarrett and Angle over Karen on tv as one it is classless and two its become the main focus of the show (Jeff and Karen have had more screen time that Mr Anderson or Jeff Hardy combined since Karen came back) , and they're going to bring Kurt's kids into it now as well, f**k off.

• Paid Members
I haven't seen much of the pre-Orlando TNA stuff that alot of people still moan about, but it seems like great booking to me, keep your established heel at the top (King Of The Mountain if you weeel), until you build up (or bring in) a babyface big enough to dethrone him

The problem is that a rather frustrating pattern settled in.

22/10/03 Jeff Jarrett [2]

21/04/04 A.J. Styles [2]

19/05/04 Ron Killings [2]

02/06/04 Jeff Jarrett [3]

15/05/05 A.J. Styles [3]

19/06/05 Raven

15/09/05 Jeff Jarrett [4]

23/10/05 Rhino

25/10/05 Jeff Jarrett [5]

12/02/06 Christian Cage

18/06/06 Jeff Jarrett [6]

When Styles wins the title from Jarrett after a six month chase (following a double turn), for it to be less than two month for Jarrett to be brandishing it again within two months was deflating, and to then embark on an 11 month reign was a bit hard to swallow. Personally with it coming so soon after the end of the 2002-04 Triple H reign of terror in WWE, it felt a bit like taking the piss. Did Jarrett have enough credible challengers to stay on top for 11 months? Did he fuck. They arsed around with him in meaningless tags/Lockdown and in defences against WcW nostalgia like Savage, Page and Nash who were neeeeeever going to be champion at the time. By the time Styles took the title from him it was a fucking relief.

But of course, that didnt last either. They put the belt on Raven because the whole industry was having an EcWank.

Sounds like you're up on Orlando-era TNA but it was just dull as fuck watching Jarrett go on these nice long reigns, having his successor get next to no chance (Christian aside) at running with the ball, and then Jarrett almost immediately recapture it, to contest series with the same bunch of guys as his last run. The permanent state of Jeff in main events for nigh on three years actually put pain in my testicles.

A shame because I like Jarrett as a worker and drawer of heat.

• Paid Members
Jarrett is a midcarder who should have held the belt as a transitional champion at most .He is dull as a face, and annoying as a heel (in a change the channel way, not in a good heel way).For me, anytime I have watched Double J Double M A, I found it embarrassing. Also I dislike that they had to bring the whole deal between Jarrett and Angle over Karen on tv as one it is classless and two its become the main focus of the show (Jeff and Karen have had more screen time that Mr Anderson or Jeff Hardy combined since Karen came back) , and they're going to bring Kurt's kids into it now as well, f**k off.

Quick question: why's it OK that Raven and Sandman did a similar storyline to critical acclaim, yet it's "classless" for JJ and Kurt to do the same, based on real-life circumstances?

In regards to Jarrett in the later WCW years and early TNA years I don't care for him whatsoever and a lot of that time he didn't deserve to be in the spotlight like he was, but I find his early WWF run with the Double J character and matches very entertaining. That whole costume with the flashing J's where he finally got exposed as having a shitty voice and it being Roadie. He was very good at being a dick, he was flamboyant and could fly around well. I always thought he took an awesome shitcan over the top rope. Good series with Sparky Plug Holly, Raw match with Bret, matches with Shawn, feud with Razor and he got watchable matches out of Ahmed Johnson. He and Malenko did some good stuff in 1997 WCW too.

Then when he came back I liked everything he did with Owen and he fit so well in that midcard role during that whole period with the guitar and Debra gimmick. He gets too much flack when for the majority he was very confident and good in his roles. It seems that when he wasn't under Vince, he had a habit of hogging time where he shouldn't have been though. Under him and in moderation he was a good worker.

That first paragraph's just saved me the bother of typing out my thoughts on '94-'98 Double J, as it pretty much sums them up. He was always good fun as 'the worlds greatest singer/entertainer/wrestler'

I wasn't so keen on his tag team with Owen though (or anything since). I never really took to that short hair, guitar smashing, 'slapnuts' gimmick. But up until around Summerslam '98, it was mostly good stuff.

Quick question: why's it OK that Raven and Sandman did a similar storyline to critical acclaim, yet it's "classless" for JJ and Kurt to do the same, based on real-life circumstances?

Thats a very good point Carbomb. Th e only defence I can give is that Lori/Sandmans relatationship was less public than Jarrett/Angle during 95.

• Paid Members

I think that's the reason it can be argued to be classless - Karen actually left Kurt and is now actually with Jeff and took the kids too. Lori & Tyler didnt actually go off with Raven.

Personally if those involved dont mind, then who cares?

• Paid Members
Jeff and Karen have had more screen time that Mr Anderson or Jeff Hardy combined since Karen came back

Expect ... they havent! Anderson and Hardy were involved in a match, an interview segment and the "They" angle. I was sick of seeing them last Monday. Hardy and Anderson are the most pushed things on the whole show! Do you even watch Impact?

I like Jarrett. I used to love his mid-card country singer act in WWF (he was regularly IC champ when I got into it) and the stuff with Razor Ramon was excellent. I'm not too use to his feud with Steve McMichael in WCW as I refuse to watch McMichael on account he's awful. When he came back he floundered quite a bit with that tacky white singlet and the NWA 'invasion' they did, but his team with Owen was quality.

I always found his late WWF stuff brilliant as the obonxious chauvanist, then he went to WCW and to be honest I still quite liked the Chosen One gimmick. But the company basically went to the shits and Jarrett could never outshine guys like Nash, Sting, Hogan, etc. The dying days when he took a step down behind Scott Steiner was much better suited.

In TNA I found Jarrett fair in the early days with the run in matches and 'red shirt security'. But about 2007 when he took the sabbatical and came back as face and had that quick feud with Roode, that was when Jarrett hit his peak. After Jill's death, Jarrett seemed to do no wrong (well, in the ring) with good promos and good matches. I thought nothing could top it until he started the Double M-A gimmick and that was brilliant.

In terms of Road Dogg. I loved him, got an old t-shirt somewhere. My fav member of DX, and he was always good at selling and brawling, and was charismatic as hell. Even his last TNA match in 2008 against Angle, Dogg looked terrific selling his ankle. I hope to see him somewhere in some role again, and not in a Portsmouth indie show.

Haven't seen the Impact segments involving Karen and Jeff but have read about them and, have to say, it sounds like a great way to get HUGE heel heat on Jeff and Karen, especially if the bit about Karen egging on Jeff while he makes fun of Kurts son is true - I mean, that just makes her a complete bitch heel and Jarrett an absolute cunt heel and makes me want to see Angle exact his revenge on both of them.

How do all 3 get on in real life?

I have to say the Raven Sandman feud was too far, wasn't it Raven and Sandman who did the crucifix angle?

QUOTE (AJS269 @ Feb 5 2011, 17:22)

Jeff and Karen have had more screen time that Mr Anderson or Jeff Hardy combined since Karen came back

Expect ... they havent! Anderson and Hardy were involved in a match, an interview segment and the "They" angle. I was sick of seeing them last Monday. Hardy and Anderson are the most pushed things on the whole show! Do you even watch Impact?

I watch iMPACT yeah, otherwise I wouldn't be saying stuff like that would I. However, if we are speaking about individual shows, on the iMPACT three weeks ago, Karen Jarrett had been on screen for about 10/20 mins whilst Mr Anderson(you know, the TNA Heavyweight Champion) wasn't even on the show for the first hour, and was on screen far less than Karen.

Archived