[Nominations] Worst MMA Fighter of 2010

tiger_rick

Not sure how to take this award :confused: Do you go for someone like Jamie Varner who fought 4 times in the year and didn't win one? Do you go for someone like Bobby Lashley who was being protected, fought twice in the year (including a last minute out of shape replacement in Wes Sims) and in that second fight it became clear the guy has no heart for being an MMA fighter? or do you go for someone who everytime you see their name on a card you have a fear of dread that the fight is going to stink and be nothing other than a snoozefest? I'll go for the latter:

1. Cole Konrad

2. Gray Maynard

3. Chad Mendes

*Edit* There is also the 'freakshow' element of fighters who really shouldn't be in the cage such as James Toney or Herschel Walker.

Edited by Magnum Milano

• Paid Members

I'm going to go with a odd choice in Chuck Liddel. He's only fought once this year, but that performance alone should give him a nomination. The guy went into the octagon when he should have retired after being put in the hall of fame, performed pretty poor and then got knocked out by a guy with one arm and I'm sure he still picked up half a million dollars for it.

Hell I'd love half a million dollars to get knocked out so easily.

BJ Penn.

I still have no idea what was going on in his head for the 2 fights with Frankie Edgar, especially the second one where he had vowed to prove Edgar's win was a fluke.

I know he then went on to knock out Matt Hughes in 20 seconds, but still. :/

Also, James Toney.

Edited by dopper

Wow, Penn, Fitch and Maynard? Sorry, that's laughable.

I also don't really want to nominate freak show fighters like Toney, Lashley or Slice. No point.

So instead I'll go with Keith Jardine, who's certainly the worst fighter I was asked to take seriously this year, who only got anywhere by being a tough fight for certain kinds of fighters (and by fighting incredibly dirty fights) and who went 1- 3 this year, including a loss to a very washed up Prangley, the only win being over a nobody.

The above 2 posts obviously disagree with my BJ Penn nomination.

That decision was made based on a poor performance in his first fight this year then after vowing to show he still has the hunger and ability he went out and put in an even worse performance in his second fight of the year.

I know Penn is still one of the top UFC fighters and there were obviously way shittier fighters this year, but for such a big name to have such crap back-to-back fights really stood out this year imo.

Penn lost a razor close decision to a top five lightweight, then didn't have an answer for him in the rematch (and clearly was defeated mentally before the fight) He then went on to knock out a guy who's probably going to be remembered as one of the ten best welterweights of all time in the first round. It might be a shout for worst BJ Penn year of all time (maybe) but he was nowhere near the worst fighter of the year.