The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Jazzy G said:

@FLipsGamera is not from Godzilla. He was created by a rival studio to cash in on the Kaiju boom. They've been trying to do Godzilla Vs Gamera for ages, but I don't think they can agree on who the winner would be, and there'd be a LOT of rights and stuff to negotiate. The only viable option I think would be for some kind of huge threat (probably original, or King Ghidora/MechaGodzilla) to turn up while they are throwing down, and for the hero monsters to realise they have to work together to overcome it.

Still loving the write-ups. I think I played Demo 1 back in the day. Rage Racer was the one that got most of my attention. Have you found the demo disc with Crash Bash on where it's ostensibly the whole game? 

Interesting! I haven't bothered with anything Godzilla since I rented the Matthew Broderick film in the late 90s so I assumed they were from the same thing. As as less than casual viewer of both though, Godzilla is much much cooler than a turtle with rockets for legs.

I haven't got the Crash Bash demo yet, though I do have the full game anyway. Will look it up thanks!

EDIT: I just looked it up and it's every demo version of Crash Bash it seems, as they accidentally uploaded a full beta instead of a demo so if you put the cheat code in, you can access 16 or so games instead of 2 but they're all beta versions. It turns out I have two Crash Bash Demos too, one on a disc with Prince Naseem Boxing and the other on Spyro 3. I'll give them a try sometime.

Edited by FLips

Humble Bundle currently has a retro shooter bundle from Nightdive including the three Turok games, Blood, Rise of the Triad, Doom 64 and the awesome remake of Exhumed which takes elements from both PSX and Sega Saturn versions amongst others.

All Steam keys sadly, as I would have loved to have an these on Switch.

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/fully-loaded-nightdive-fps-remasters?hmb_source=humble_home&hmb_medium=product_tile&hmb_campaign=mosaic_section_4_layout_index_3_layout_type_threes_tile_index_3_c_fullyloadednightdivefpsremasters_bundle

• Paid Members
52 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Humble Bundle currently has a retro shooter bundle from Nightdive including the three Turok games, Blood, Rise of the Triad, Doom 64 and the awesome remake of Exhumed which takes elements from both PSX and Sega Saturn versions amongst others.

All Steam keys sadly, as I would have loved to have an these on Switch.

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/fully-loaded-nightdive-fps-remasters?hmb_source=humble_home&hmb_medium=product_tile&hmb_campaign=mosaic_section_4_layout_index_3_layout_type_threes_tile_index_3_c_fullyloadednightdivefpsremasters_bundle

Cheers for this, snapped it up. Of course, when I'll actually get round to playing them is another matter, I've bought about 30 games on Steam the last few weeks now that I can actually use my account.

Posted (edited)

Not a fan of those guys since they went back on their original ideals and have sold unfinished games, the thing about them was all about buying a complete physical game that wouldn't need patches, DLC or any kind of download.

Oh but they did fire a transphobic POS so they still get good points for that.

Edited by Merzbow

Posted (edited)

So recently I headed back to what is currently my favourite CEX in London

Woolwich 

I always aimed at going back soon but this branch had the only copy of a dragon ball game in stock and I went to check it's condition for a friend (Reto Ghetto) 

It's a good size store, very clean and the stock is huge on pretty much every mainstream system

They always have a brilliant array of retro in the glass cabinet too and that was the case once again on this occasion 

If your ever close by I highly recommend popping in

Edited by Big Bully Busick

• Paid Members

Me and the wife are on a bit of a Castlevania binge at the minute. She really got the bug for it after she finished the first one a couple of months back.

This bank holiday weekend just gone she started playing Castlevania: Symphony of The Night for the first time. She called me over to play as well and before you know it we had finished the game with both the bad and good endings after playing non-stop through Sunday to Monday. She'd seen me play it when it was on PS4 years ago and remembers me doing the Death Skip which unfortunately isn't as easy in the original as it is in the ports, but we gave it a go (unsuccessfully).
She had a good anchor on it as she's a huge fan of Super Metroid and more recently the original Castlevanias, so the gameplay made a lot of sense to her. It really was special to see her excitement at everything for the first time and I enjoyed playing it again as it really is a fantastic game. The iconic bad dialogue at the start, the music, the huge boss fights and area variety. It's truly phenomenal and you can see why between this and Super Metroid they named a genre after it.

After finishing that we decided to finish Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse which we were on the final stage of after taking the hard route. The final stage on this is a lot shorter and easier than in Castlevania 1, but Dracula has 3 phases instead of 2 and the final one is much harder than any of the phases in 1.
The game overall though is ace. That difficult and slightly unfair but irresistable gameplay from the first one but with multiple characters, branching paths, bigger and better levels and music that's just as good. There's a lot to love here. I think we both still prefer the first one though just because it's a nice snappy one-go thing. The same way I think I prefer Spyro 1 over 2 and 3.

After that she insisted we play Castlevania 1 again, so we did that. For one of the hardest games on the console a lot of it is fairly trivial with some practice. The hardest part in the game is usually considered to be the penultimate stage because if you want to beat Death (the hardest boss in the game by far) easily you need to make it through the whole stage holding the Holy Water and not die once or you lose it and can't get it back. There's a corridor of death just before the boss that's a nightmare of knights and medusa heads. My wife takes pride in the fact she can demolish this level with no issues.
Like I said, it's short and snappy so we got this done in one quick sitting.

After those my wife suggested playing Dracula's Curse again but taking different paths and using different characters, so we're making our way through that currently and it's amazing how different taking the other routes ends up being. It's like a whole new game.
We started watching the Castlevania series on Netflix too, which is fine. We watched the first season or so when it released and it's the same criticisms now as it was then, it takes itself way too seriously. I'm probably in the minority but I'd have preferred a more monster of the week approach to a heavy handed plot about how the church is evil.

Then last night when we were just settling and knocking about the house I booted up Symphony of The Night again with the intention of trying the unlocked Richter Mode which lets you play through the game as Richter in a more traditional Castlevania style, but upon hearing the title music my wife shuffled over to me and was like "OHHH ARE WE PLAYING SYMPHONY OF THE NIGHT AGAIN?" and took the pad off me. So now we're doing that as Alucard again I suppose.

Have you got the Castlevania Advance Collection? All three games in it follow the SOTN formula, I actually played them first as by the time I wanted to try Symphony it was the most expensive game on the PS1.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Have you got the Castlevania Advance Collection? All three games in it follow the SOTN formula, I actually played them first as by the time I wanted to try Symphony it was the most expensive game on the PS1.

I don’t but I’ve played them all and they’re great. That’s a good idea actually, might be able to get them on my Wii to save a bit of money!

Thanks for the suggestion!

Love Castlevania deeply. Definitely the best music in any game series for my money.

I play Super Castlevania IV all the way through at least once a year (usually at Halloween) as a treat to myself.  I recently got a little LG Handheld for the sake of emulation and have been playing Mother 3 but the above has me wanting to put that on hold and get another SOTN playthrough going.

I actually got a tattoo of the vampire killer whip last year.

• Paid Members
43 minutes ago, Ironic Indie Lad said:

Love Castlevania deeply. Definitely the best music in any game series for my money.

I play Super Castlevania IV all the way through at least once a year (usually at Halloween) as a treat to myself.  I recently got a little LG Handheld for the sake of emulation and have been playing Mother 3 but the above has me wanting to put that on hold and get another SOTN playthrough going.

I actually got a tattoo of the vampire killer whip last year.

We have IV but my wife wasn’t too keen on it, though I’m a big fan. She might be one of the few people not keen on the multi-directional whip. I imagine now is as good a time as any to try and get her back on it though while she’s obsessed with the series.

11 hours ago, FLips said:

Me and the wife are on a bit of a Castlevania binge at the minute. She really got the bug for it after she finished the first one a couple of months back.

This bank holiday weekend just gone she started playing Castlevania: Symphony of The Night for the first time. She called me over to play as well and before you know it we had finished the game with both the bad and good endings after playing non-stop through Sunday to Monday. She'd seen me play it when it was on PS4 years ago and remembers me doing the Death Skip which unfortunately isn't as easy in the original as it is in the ports, but we gave it a go (unsuccessfully).
She had a good anchor on it as she's a huge fan of Super Metroid and more recently the original Castlevanias, so the gameplay made a lot of sense to her. It really was special to see her excitement at everything for the first time and I enjoyed playing it again as it really is a fantastic game. The iconic bad dialogue at the start, the music, the huge boss fights and area variety. It's truly phenomenal and you can see why between this and Super Metroid they named a genre after it.

After finishing that we decided to finish Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse which we were on the final stage of after taking the hard route. The final stage on this is a lot shorter and easier than in Castlevania 1, but Dracula has 3 phases instead of 2 and the final one is much harder than any of the phases in 1.
The game overall though is ace. That difficult and slightly unfair but irresistable gameplay from the first one but with multiple characters, branching paths, bigger and better levels and music that's just as good. There's a lot to love here. I think we both still prefer the first one though just because it's a nice snappy one-go thing. The same way I think I prefer Spyro 1 over 2 and 3.

After that she insisted we play Castlevania 1 again, so we did that. For one of the hardest games on the console a lot of it is fairly trivial with some practice. The hardest part in the game is usually considered to be the penultimate stage because if you want to beat Death (the hardest boss in the game by far) easily you need to make it through the whole stage holding the Holy Water and not die once or you lose it and can't get it back. There's a corridor of death just before the boss that's a nightmare of knights and medusa heads. My wife takes pride in the fact she can demolish this level with no issues.
Like I said, it's short and snappy so we got this done in one quick sitting.

After those my wife suggested playing Dracula's Curse again but taking different paths and using different characters, so we're making our way through that currently and it's amazing how different taking the other routes ends up being. It's like a whole new game.
We started watching the Castlevania series on Netflix too, which is fine. We watched the first season or so when it released and it's the same criticisms now as it was then, it takes itself way too seriously. I'm probably in the minority but I'd have preferred a more monster of the week approach to a heavy handed plot about how the church is evil.

Then last night when we were just settling and knocking about the house I booted up Symphony of The Night again with the intention of trying the unlocked Richter Mode which lets you play through the game as Richter in a more traditional Castlevania style, but upon hearing the title music my wife shuffled over to me and was like "OHHH ARE WE PLAYING SYMPHONY OF THE NIGHT AGAIN?" and took the pad off me. So now we're doing that as Alucard again I suppose.

Fantastic post 

Castlevania 1 is one of the unfinished business games in my life as I've yet to beat Dracula, the absolute swine

It's honestly one of the best franchises ever made

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, Merzbow said:

These look lovely and I'm guessing they're compatible with all existing Evercade carts.

Came here to post a link to an article about this. All the Evercade carts work on them, they have two cartridge slots so you can have two sets of games in at a time. They have built in Wi-Fi and online, apparently, and ports to hook a second controller in. The Street Fighter one has Champion Edition, Super Turbo, Puzzle Fighter, and all three Alphas. The other one has Megaman, Strider, Carrier Wing, Final Fight, Knights Of The Round and something else. I want to say 1942? They sell for £199 each, or there's a deluxe version with Sanwa buttons for £250, although I bet it'd be cheaper to buy and fit your own Sanwa buttons. Anyway, here's the link. 

https://www.t3.com/news/evercade-alpha-arcade-machine

Posted (edited)
On 5/31/2024 at 6:31 AM, Jazzy G said:

Came here to post a link to an article about this. All the Evercade carts work on them, they have two cartridge slots so you can have two sets of games in at a time. They have built in Wi-Fi and online, apparently, and ports to hook a second controller in. The Street Fighter one has Champion Edition, Super Turbo, Puzzle Fighter, and all three Alphas. The other one has Megaman, Strider, Carrier Wing, Final Fight, Knights Of The Round and something else. I want to say 1942? They sell for £199 each, or there's a deluxe version with Sanwa buttons for £250, although I bet it'd be cheaper to buy and fit your own Sanwa buttons. Anyway, here's the link. 

https://www.t3.com/news/evercade-alpha-arcade-machine

As a huge Evercade fan, I had to do a video on this

I'm not entirely sold on these and at the price point I doubt I'll be adding one any time soon

I do however see the logic behind things like this and the Super Pocket being able to play Evercade Cartridges, as it should expand the Ecosystem of the Evercade 

Edited by Big Bully Busick