The MMA General News & Events Thread

David

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I heard he was in that but haven't seen it. Good to see a fighter doing well in another career and not ending up skint in some grotty bedsit like a lot do. I couldn't believe how Joe Frazier was living when I saw that Thrilla in Manilla doc a few years ago :(

If you've not already seen it, he's got a big role in the recent movie "Predators". He's doing pretty well for himself.

He's also had some small roles in other hollywood films such as Righteous Kill and Bad Boys 2 :)

< Looks to be some sort of celebrity boxing exhibition, Oleg doesn't seem to hold back with the body shots though :D

• Paid Members
If you've not already seen it, he's got a big role in the recent movie "Predators". He's doing pretty well for himself.

He's also had some small roles in other hollywood films such as Righteous Kill and Bad Boys 2 :)

< Looks to be some sort of celebrity boxing exhibition, Oleg doesn't seem to hold back with the body shots though :D

We own the night aswell. I love me some Oleg in films, oh and Don Frye.

Oleg is quite the forgotten man in MMA

From his draw with Ken Shamrock to his classic win over Tank Abbot to win one of the early tournaments he doesnt get mentioned nearly as much as Don Frye, Mark Coleman or even Gary Goodridge

Even guys like Harold Heath and Paul Vareans get mentioned as much as him

• Paid Members
Just throwing this out there and seeing what people think. Tim Sylvia has 2 fights scheduled 1 vs Abe Wagner and the other vs Pedro Rizzo, at the moment he is 28 and 6, If he wins the next 2 fights you think he could get a shot back in the UFC? there are plenty other guys in UFC who have had lots of poor win loss records, He got cut off the back of losing to Randy and Nog (the fight with Nog won fight of the night and the loss to Randy had its moments), he had a win in-between both both losses to Vera who was undefeated at the time, He then lost to Fedor which is not anything to be ashamed about. He probably did more damage to his career by getting dropped Ray Mercer looking out of shape (more so then normal).

i get the impression that Dana White doesn't like Tim Sylvia, he was the UFC champion when the division was terrible but he never endured himself to the fans, i always felt that Tim was abit of a thorn in the UFC's side. I feel that in his last 3 UFC fights he was basically there to 'lose' if that makes sense. Dana was probably glad to see the back of him.

The fact that Tim lost a high profile fight to a heavyweight fighter being promoted as the best in the world (Fedor) outside of the promotion probably did him more harm than first expected, some casual fans might see him as 'the guy who got destroyed by Fedor'.

I'd like to have seen Tim be involved in the Strikeforce tournament, he has a better resume than Brett Rogers so i'd like to have seen him i that slot...but for whatever reason Sylvia seems to be a guy that seems to be hard to negotiate with...since the Mercer debacle he's been involved in some pretty meaningless fights, if they were tune up's for something bigger i'd give him the benefit of the doubt but his career just seems to be floating along aimlessly.

There's been talk of big fights (Hong Man Choi in Japan was one), but they all fall through...but i'm hoping the Rizzo fight goes ahead.

Brazilian middleweight Maiquel Falcao has been forced to withdraw from a planned UFC on Versus 3 meeting with Alessio Sakara, and Rafael Natal has stepped into the open slot.

Is this an injury? I remember reading he was facing legal problems or something. It'd be a shame if his UFC career was grounded before it got to start.

I heard that Strikeforce had supposedly held negotiations with Gabriel Gonzaga with regards to fighting in the tournament, but for whatever reasons the talks broke down. I don't think he'd have really had much impact in the GP but would have been interesting to see him in Strikeforce.

Also heard that Heath Herring is making his UFC return soon, despite bad mouthing UFC & Dana White previously. Apparently fighting Ben Rothwell on the prelims at UFC 128 or UFC 129. Not a fan of either guy really, both can be as boring as each other at times - though if Herring gets back to how he fought in Pride then it'd be more entertaining.

• Paid Members

can't wait to see Heath Herring back, one of my favourite fighers of all time in MMA :) i thought he might be an opponent for Shane Carwin.

I like Rothwell/Herring though.

I don't agree that they are boring fighters though? what are you basing that on?

can't wait to see Heath Herring back, one of my favourite fighers of all time in MMA :) i thought he might be an opponent for Shane Carwin.

I don't agree that they are boring fighters though? what are you basing that on?

Well Herring was great to watch back in Pride, but that was 5-6 years ago. His UFC run was disappointing and not good to watch.

I've just never been a Rothwell fan, he was on a tear in the IFL but when he comes against a dangerous fighter he plays it safe with the constant takedowns with no real intent to finish and that really grinds on me.

I think boring was bad wording on my part, frustrating would probably be more apt.

I think maybe Pat Barry as an opponent for Carwin, if he gets past Beltran next week. Struggling to think who else (available) is out there for him to fight.

Would love it to happen, would be a massive event for the UK:

Anderson Silva has exclusively told ESPN he would like to defend his UFC middleweight title against Michael Bisping in England, if the Briton achieves his goal of becoming No. 1 contender.

Silva is preparing for the eighth defence of his middleweight crown against The Phenom Vitor Belfort at UFC 126. Victory would take his winning run to 13 fights in the UFC, adding to his already exceptional legacy as the best 185-pounder to grace the planet.

Bisping is desperate to secure a title shot after back-to-back wins over Dan Miller and Yoshihiro Akiyama, and victory over Jorge Rivera at UFC 127 would propel him into serious contention.

Silva has history of fighting in the UK, having contested four Cage Rage bouts on English soil, predictably winning all four. A Silva v Bisping match-up could sell out just about any arena in the UK, and the Brazilian would be excited by the challenge.

"The British fans are very knowledgeable and passionate about MMA. I would love to fight there once more," he told ESPN.

"Michael Bisping is very impressive. He's been in the UFC for a long time now and beaten some very good fighters. It would be an honour to fight him, perhaps in England.

"He is fast, is very busy and makes adjustments quickly. I am the champion of the world, not just Brazil or America. Being a world champion means taking on the best fighters from around the world all over the world.

"If the chance came I would like to fight Bisping in the UK if that's what the UFC put together."

• Paid Members

Well Herring was great to watch back in Pride, but that was 5-6 years ago. His UFC run was disappointing and not good to watch.

I've just never been a Rothwell fan, he was on a tear in the IFL but when he comes against a dangerous fighter he plays it safe with the constant takedowns with no real intent to finish and that really grinds on me.

I think boring was bad wording on my part, frustrating would probably be more apt.

I think maybe Pat Barry as an opponent for Carwin, if he gets past Beltran next week. Struggling to think who else (available) is out there for him to fight.

Kongo and Big Nog could be potential opponents for Carwin. Kongo probably more likely, he hasn't got a fight lined up, no injuries as far as I'm aware.

Bit surprised to hear Herring's coming back. One for some of the negative comments he's made and two, he just didn't seem that interested in coming back last I heard. He was gonna go into acting. Still, good to see him back, when he wants to he can be a really fun fighter to watch.

• Paid Members
Would love it to happen, would be a massive event for the UK:

Anderson Silva has exclusively told ESPN he would like to defend his UFC middleweight title against Michael Bisping in England, if the Briton achieves his goal of becoming No. 1 contender.

Silva is preparing for the eighth defence of his middleweight crown against The Phenom Vitor Belfort at UFC 126. Victory would take his winning run to 13 fights in the UFC, adding to his already exceptional legacy as the best 185-pounder to grace the planet.

Bisping is desperate to secure a title shot after back-to-back wins over Dan Miller and Yoshihiro Akiyama, and victory over Jorge Rivera at UFC 127 would propel him into serious contention.

Silva has history of fighting in the UK, having contested four Cage Rage bouts on English soil, predictably winning all four. A Silva v Bisping match-up could sell out just about any arena in the UK, and the Brazilian would be excited by the challenge.

"The British fans are very knowledgeable and passionate about MMA. I would love to fight there once more," he told ESPN.

"Michael Bisping is very impressive. He's been in the UFC for a long time now and beaten some very good fighters. It would be an honour to fight him, perhaps in England.

"He is fast, is very busy and makes adjustments quickly. I am the champion of the world, not just Brazil or America. Being a world champion means taking on the best fighters from around the world all over the world.

"If the chance came I would like to fight Bisping in the UK if that's what the UFC put together."

Please let this happen. The crowd in Manchester have been absolutely white hot both times the UFC have been there, it was so loud when he fought Elvis Sinosic you couldn't hear the bell for the end of round. Despite Bisping falling out of favour with the internet fans it was still mental for the Kang fight. I can only imagine how hyped they would be with Bisping fighting for the title!

Archived